z

Young Writers Society

Help for a Friend?

77 Reviews

Reviews: 77
Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:54 pm
Craz says...

A good friend of mine is writing a novel, and has been since the end of eighth grade. I am editing his chapters and they need a lot of work. He's only been giving me every other chapter in a random order so I only know what I have read and what he has told me. His story is like this:

A chemical placed in the water sources of America by the government is contaminating citizens and turning them into zombies. The novel is focused on two groups of people: two siblings and a small group of acquaintances and our high school's marching band, composed of real people (including himself and I) who steal a bus and search for safety. Eventually these two groups unite. He hasn't gotten much for a plot besides the usual "survive" apocalypse theme.

I need formats and templates to help him improve his plot and writing skills. He needs help with diction, dialogue, creating interesting and original characters and creating a plot that pops. I've looked for such things but there's so many of them that I don't really know what would be the most effective. For right now I've assigned him with reading thick, hearty books (he doesn't read on a regular basis) so he might catch on and learn that way.
"we'll fasten it with some safety pins and tape and a dream, and you're good to go, honey."

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:15 pm
Holysocks says...

Would he consider joining YWS?
100% autistic

77 Reviews

Reviews: 77
Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:32 pm
Craz says...

Unfortunately, no. I've tried to get him to but he claims that he doesn't have the time for it and that he doesn't want to be plagiarized.
"we'll fasten it with some safety pins and tape and a dream, and you're good to go, honey."

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:42 am
View Likes
Kale says...

Does he want to improve?

I remember back when I was in middle and high school, writing stories that starred your classmates and you was a really easy way to gain popularity, especially if you were spot-on with the characterization, and the crazier and more unrealistic the scenario, the more fun it was. However, these stories were written just for fun, and not with the intent to become a writer.

Does your friend want to be a writer, or is he just writing for fun? If it's the latter, then I'd advise letting him have his fun, and trying to share the fun with him. Killing someone's harmless fun is not a nice thing to do.

Otherwise, if he really wants to be a writer, I'd recommend pointing him to do his own research into things. Helping is great, but if you're doing all the work for him in finding resources and advice, then he'll never learn how to find things on his own. If he does ask you for resources, I'd recommend sharing your own favorites as a starting point.

Ultimately though, it'll come down to practice and perseverance on his part, and part of that involves seeking out feedback. It might be worth mentioning to him that everything you post on YWS is copyrighted to you, so plagiarism is something he doesn't have to worry about. The staff here at YWS also take plagiarism very seriously, so it's another thing you might want to bring up. There's also no real commitment outside of reviewing to get points, so he doesn't have to be active all the time (I can personally attest to this since I have a bad habit of disappearing for months at a time without warning).

Basically, if you can persuade him to join YWS, it will help him a lot in improving his writing (and also take quite a bit of burden off of you).
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:23 am
Holysocks says...

Also maybe tell him that in the grand scheme of things, it's almost better to get your writing out there, because then if someone does try to pull a fast one, you'll have dated, written proof that it's yours ( his ).
100% autistic

Don't aim at success--the more you aim at it and make it a target, the more you are going to miss it. For success, like happiness, cannot be pursued; it must ensue, and it only does so as the unintended side-effect of one's dedication to a cause greater than oneself or as the by-product of one's surrender to a person other than oneself.
— Viktor E. Frankl