z

Young Writers Society

Should I begin a new novel while editing an old?

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:27 pm
Aravis10 says...

Last week, I started a serious edit of the first draft of my first full blown novel. (Actually I think it is a novella right now.) But as I have been editing, ideas for new stories have been popping into my head! What should I do? Should I start a new story while editing my old one? Or should I wait until I finish editing, which could be months away?
The Greatest Mistake You Can Make In Life Is To Be Continually Afraid You'll Make One. Joshua 1:9

Aravis

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:35 pm
View Likes
Iggy says...

Definitely focus on one at a time! If you try to split your muse on different projects, you may lose the will for one or both and then you'll have nothing to work with.

I suggest you write these ideas down in a notebook or word doc and save them for later. :)
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:20 pm
birk says...

Until the fun, your tolerance and your patience take a hit during your editing, if they do at all, then focusing on one project at a time should do you best.

Editing is very hard and straining work though, if not straight up boring at times. So it would be nice to have other things to occupy your mind which would continue to bring out creative ideas within your writing.

So always hold on to your ideas. You'll often find yourself going back to them, if you remember. ;)
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:27 pm
LadySpark says...

Editing and new writing can easily be done at the same time. It'll keep both ideas fresh inside your brain, and keep you from getting bored with editing (which is honestly a sucky process.)
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:45 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

A slightly different piece of advice:

Write out all those ideas you're getting, and write out as much detail as you have. Get the whole idea out of your head, all of it, and if you come up with a million new things as you write it out the initial idea, keep writing it.

Write it until the ideas stop and you have to actually work to come up with ideas.

Now, put the ideas aside and continue editing the major novel.

These ideas are important ideas. They could have promise and be your next major novel. But right now, commit to the one until at least the next round of editing is done.

Also, when you're editing, sometimes you get stuck. Or sometimes you get tired of the old novel. In those times it's perfectly acceptable to take a break, because you do have other ideas and sometimes you need to be away from a novel before you can really edit it.

Good luck!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:09 pm
RagingLive says...

You know I just made it on YWS, but have been writing novels since I was seven. (Non published of course.) While I get what iggy is saying If I just focused on one book at a time I would have nothing. Sometimes the best novel ideas stem from another. Also, don't be afraid to write what you're thinking at that moment. You might forget it later.
I have ideas all over everything from random sheets of paper to in the middle of school notebooks and even on like the backs of receipts. No joke! Just so you don't lose those little gold nuggets get a little folder to keep them in! It works great for me!
'Cause your own story, is the safest place you'll ever be
~Echosmith

109 Reviews

Reviews: 109
Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:10 pm
ajruby12 says...

Believe me, I'm always about 3 stories ahead of the one I'm writing... But I can normally keep up with it, whereas other people can't. If you find yourself getting distracted easily, just take your story ideas and write them down, in summary, where you can find them after you've finished the story you're working on. Now, if you can handle 2 or more stories at the same time, shoot for it! But NEVER try to rush a story. It never turns out right.

-ajruby (The Silver Lady)
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them." - Ray Bradbury

I don't do time.
— Liberty