z

Young Writers Society

Loss of Inspiration

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:49 pm
TigersMoon says...

Recently I've had a loss of inspiration. It's not writer's block because I know what to write. I just don't feel any heart in it, you know? A help with this?
Three ghosts in the lighthouse

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:20 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

This happens to me, and I know it happens to everyone! Sometimes you just look at something and even though you know what to write, and you love the story, it just doesn't happen.

Sometimes for me it's because I've been working on one project for too long. It stagnates. You mightn't feel bored of it but subconsciously you are. And if that's the case, I save my work and close it and I don't open it for a few weeks. Usually I try to work on something else instead to keep my writing gears going, and sometimes working on a new story will give me this insane burst of motivation! And then I'll just want to go back to my old story again, but my energy is renewed.

Sometimes it's not about the piece of work, it's about writing itself. Maybe you need to take a break from it and re-examine your motivation. Are you writing what you want to write? Do you feel you're growing as a writer at a normal pace? Is something bothering you - and can it be fixed? And sometimes it's good to just not think about writing at all. Just relax. There are two extremes here - oversaturate yourself with stories, books and movies and TV shows and maybe inspiration will suddenly strike! Or starve yourself of those. Go for long walks by yourself. Give your brain time to breathe and it might just start writing stories for you again.

Finally - and this is the thing that most commonly happens to me, and to my friends - external stress. Are you having a rough time in work or school or college? Do you have a lot on your plate? Are you fighting with people? Are you anxious about something big coming up? Sometimes I don't realise how stressed I am until I realise I can't put pen to paper. Stress kills my creative drive, and I suspect it's the same with most people. And unfortunately I can't give you much advice on that. But real life always comes first, and if you have to let writing take a back burner for a few weeks, then in my eyes, that's okay. Unless you're a professional writer, you're always going to have other obligations. Writing is an outlet for stress, but sometimes it can get clogged. Try and wipe a few things off your schedule, make up after arguments, get papers written. Write a to-do list, and do the items. Oh - and clean your room. It's just a bit like cleaning your head. And then come back to your writing, and watch the words flow out!

EDIT - one final and very important thing, don't worry about it. If writing is an outlet for stress, think about what happens to that pipe when stress starts flowing back in the other direction. Can't write? No bother, go for a run, crochet, watch TV, do whatever else you normally do to relax. The worst possible thing you can do is stare at a blank Word Document berating yourself for not writing. It's supposed to be enjoyable, and always remember that.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:04 pm
View Likes
TigersMoon says...

Thanks! I'm probably suffering from external stress right now. I started to feel that way after school started so it makes sense. Thanks again and I'll try those remedies.
Three ghosts in the lighthouse

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:01 am
LadySpark says...

What always works for me is to either a. start a new project, or b. give myself a new perspective on the project I'm currently working on. Starting a new project can breathe life into your writing inspiration. Even if it's just a plot bunny that you dabble with in your spare time, the new blood will get your blood pumping again, so to speak.
Giving yourself new perspective can be just trying to change a POV, write a plot bunny you discarded early in your process or just writing some little scenes with your characters to get to know them better. Talking with your characters, moving with your characters can not only take your mind off of stressful things, but help give new life to your project that might have been suffering merely because you don't know your characters well enough.
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

109 Reviews

Reviews: 109
Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:52 pm
ajruby12 says...

If you're at a loss for ideas, then really you can't force any stories out. But if you're lacking inspiration, try going on a reading spree of other people's stories or poems. If you like poetry, try writing a short piece of that. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, but hopefully it'll help the brain juices to start flowing. Once you get an idea, write it down! But overall, don't feel pressured to write. And remember that the ideas come from your mind, not someone else's, so don't ask for ideas all the time.

Keep on writing!

-ajruby (The Silver Lady)
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them." - Ray Bradbury

Carpe Diem
— Catullus