z

Young Writers Society

Homeschooling Survey

175 Reviews

Reviews: 175
Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:19 pm
Harker says...

Hello there! I'm writing a research paper/making a presentation on homeschooling. If you're homeschooled and have time, try filling out this survey and PM it to me. Thanks!

Spoiler! :
Username:
Grade (completely optional, but it would be much appreciated!):
Are you in high/middle/elementary school?
Why are you homeschooled?
Do your parents teach you?
Do you use online resources? If so, please include here:
Do you do an online school?
Do you live in the US?
Do you enjoy homeschooling?
Comments:

Thank you!
John. Queer guy, writer, fan of stuff.

~ Some men are born in their bodies, others have to fight for it. ~

233 Reviews

Reviews: 233
Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:24 pm
Cithara says...

^^ I bet I know what this is for
Pax in Christo

"My heart is racing even as I write,
but I plan to go on as bravely as a heroine in a
novel."~The Hired Girl

I used to be Thewriter13

175 Reviews

Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:27 pm
Harker says...

Thewriter13 wrote:^^ I bet I know what this is for

:P But if you have time, try to answer some.

233 Reviews

Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:43 pm
Cithara says...

Indeed I will! :D
Pax in Christo

novel."~The Hired Girl

I used to be Thewriter13

433 Reviews

Reviews: 433
Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:24 pm
TakeThatYouFiend says...

Ummm I used to be homeschooled... would you like me to fill it in? I don't know what you mean by grade, and the school system is different: I live in the UK.
You know that studded leather armour in films? Nobody wore that. I mean, how would metal studs improve leather armour?

175 Reviews

Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:26 pm
Harker says...

TakeThatYouFiend wrote:Ummm I used to be homeschooled... would you like me to fill it in? I don't know what you mean by grade, and the school system is different: I live in the UK.

It's fine, just skip those. Definitely (if you have time) fill it out!

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:26 pm
Rosendorn says...

Username: Rosey Unicorn
Grade (completely optional, but it would be much appreciated!): N/A
Are you in high/middle/elementary school? Graduated high school in 2009
Why are were you homeschooled? Medical and accessibility reasons. Basically, I got sick enough doctors said I couldn't go back to school, then when I got better, the resources for special needs students were getting slashed so I'd have gotten lost in the system.
Do your parents teach you? Kinda. Not really. I mostly taught myself. My dad would help with math and chemistry, my mom would help with some English, but for the most part I only had my parents teach me if I needed help.
Do you use online resources? If so, please include here: Not... really? Past the usual research things such as Google. YWS sorta counts, because me learning fiction counted as double English.
Do you do an online school? Again, kindasorta. My school would video tape its live classes, and the last year I was there, they'd put them online.
Do you live in the US? No.
Do you enjoy homeschooling? I did, even though it was pretty lonely sometimes.
Comments: I live in an area homeschooling isn't regulated at all, so my graduating requirements were "can you pass college/university entrance exams?" I also had nothing officially marked all through high school.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

433 Reviews

Reviews: 433
Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:33 pm
TakeThatYouFiend says...

Username: TakeThatYouFiend
Grade (completely optional, but it would be much appreciated!): *don't understand*
Are you in high/middle/elementary school?: I am now in high (13+) school, but while I was Home Ed I was first and middle school.
Why are you homeschooled?: My dad fell out with the entire system, and was incredibly annoyed by incompetent teachers. Also pointless homeworks, like in English when we had to fill in group names, like a herd of cows or a murder of crows. Who the heck says a murder of crows? This was old English we were being taught when we couldn't even spell yet.
Do your parents teach you?: My dad did, my mum actually was a teacher.
Do you use online resources?: Nope, rather we used or housefull of books: we live in a tiny house but have over 3000, including plenty of teaching aids. Nothing from the curriculum you understand, often adult courses, on things like handwriting and drawing.
If so, please include here: Ziltch.
Do you do an online school?: Nope.
Do you live in the US?: *quietly hums Rule Britannia*
Do you enjoy homeschooling?: I found it incredibly difficult so not really. I do enjoy school now, and I'm grateful to my dad for my far superior education.
Comments: Thanks entirely to my Homeschooling, I took my Maths GCSE in year eight instead of year eleven, and got A*. I didn't do any French at home, but in high school I was middle of the class because half the students hadn't learned any French in middle school French lessons.
You know that studded leather armour in films? Nobody wore that. I mean, how would metal studs improve leather armour?

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:36 pm
Stori says...

Username: Stori
Current grade: n/a as I graduated high school in 2011. Going to college soon.
Why I was homeschooled:It made sense, as Mom and Dad wanted the best for us. We're also strong Christians, and it was good to learn subjects like science from that point of view.
Yes, Mom and later, Grandma taught me.

Online resources? No; public school taught me to use those. :) Seriously, my family didn't discover the Web for quite a while.

Yes, I was born in the US.

I loved it. Nobody told me what I couldn't read; I learned cursive from early age. (I haven't been practicing, though; shame on me.)

Comments: It's a myth that homeschoolers aren't socialized. We attended regular meetings, played with other kids and participated in programs like Book It! and 4-H. When I was very young my parents took me to medieval re-enactments; that was a lot of fun.
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Miles Vorkosigan

"You can be an author if you learn to paint pictures with words."
Brian Jacques

233 Reviews

Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:00 pm
View Likes
Cithara says...

Username: Thewriter13
Grade (completely optional, but it would be much appreciated!): *rather not*
Are you in high/middle/elementary school? High school
Why are you homeschooled? For an easier transition to another area. If I were to move in the middle of the school year at an actual school, I may have to relearn things at a new school. With homeschooling, I can pick up right where I left off :D
Do your parents teach you? No
Do you use online resources? If so, please include here: I don't use any "resources" per se, but I can PM you what my online school is
Do you do an online school? Yes, that's my "online resource"
Do you live in the US? Yes!
Do you enjoy homeschooling?I actually really do. Even though the social aspect isn't there, I find myself learning more and appreciating the fact I can work at my own pace. I'd rather speed through or slow down rather than work at a pace that the teachers set because of kids who need more help. I'm also more in control of how I learn, so that's great too
Comments: Try it! I hope your parents consider it. There are homeschool groups in your area, I'm sure of it, so you can join a group and meet new friends. :) If you have any questions, let me know
Pax in Christo

novel."~The Hired Girl

I used to be Thewriter13

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:17 pm
LadySpark says...

Username:SparkToFlame
Grade (completely optional, but it would be much appreciated!):11th
Are you in high/middle/elementary school? Highschool.
Why are you homeschooled?
My mother was an english teacher, and when she saw how corrupted our school system is, she decided to homeschool my sister and I from the very beginning.
Do your parents teach you?
I've gotten to the point that I kind of teach myself and only go to them when I need help. The only thing they teach me is my daddy teaches me math because I'm absolutely helpless.
Do you use online resources? If so, please include here:
Nope.
Do you do an online school?
I did for the first two years of high school, but now I've moved and the homeschool laws are different so I can go back to my old curriculum.
Do you live in the US?
Yes.
Do you enjoy homeschooling?
Yes!
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:46 pm
Snoink says...

Username: Snoink

Grade (completely optional, but it would be much appreciated!): Graduated 2006.

Are you in high/middle/elementary school? I went to middle and high school for homeschool.

Why are you homeschooled? When I graduated from public elementary school and my parents were attending the public middle school parents' conference, after they were given information about how to tell if your kids had joined the gangs that were all around our city, my dad asked if the education was at least as good as they had it. They were told, point blank, that it was worse. So my parents decided to remove us from public school.

Do your parents teach you? Kind of? We often self-taught ourselves, but we went on frequent field trips to museums, etc., where my mom would supervise. There were lots of trips to the library and we read everything.

Do you use online resources? If so, please include here: TYWC, but that doesn't exist anymore. It was kind of like YWS, but a lot simpler.

Do you do an online school? Nope. We didn't even follow a standard curriculum, really.

Do you live in the US? Yes. I lived in California back then.

Do you enjoy homeschooling? I did!

Comments: At the age of 14, our science and math education was rather lacking, so my parents enrolled me into community college. So, most of my high school experience was spent at the community college.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:07 am
Holysocks says...

Username: Holysocks
Grade (completely optional, but it would be much appreciated!): I used to say that I didn't really have a grade... but I do now... I'm in grade 10. >.>
Are you in high/middle/elementary school? I'm guessing high...?
Why are you homeschooled? ...I used to live too far away from the closest school ( also religious beliefs ), so that's how it started.
Do your parents teach you? Yes, my mom does... but I have someone else who is teaching me too, now... a tutor.
Do you use online resources? If so, please include here: I've used online sources for research, for essays... it would be hard to list them, there's quite a few and I don't remember them.
Do you do an online school? Yes, I'm with an online school called SelfDesign.
Do you live in the US? No, I'm from Canada.
Do you enjoy homeschooling? ...I've never known anything different.
Comments: As corny as it may sound... I wish I could go to a dance... just once!
100% autistic

109 Reviews

Reviews: 109
Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:05 pm
ajruby12 says...

Username: ajruby12
Grade (completely optional, but it would be much appreciated!): N/A
Are you in high/middle/elementary school? High School
Why are you homeschooled? My preference and my parents preference
Do your parents teach you? Yes, mostly
Do you use online resources? If so, please include here: No, not this semester
Do you do an online school? No
Do you live in the US? Aye
Do you enjoy homeschooling? Yes, I do indeed
Comments:
Homeschooling is obviously not for everyone, but I really do enjoy it.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them." - Ray Bradbury

121 Reviews

Reviews: 121
Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:37 am
View Likes
WritingWolf says...

Username: WritingWolf
Grade: N/A (I never liked this question. You see, I'm actually in multiple grades. I work at whatever level is right for me in each subject. There is a grade I should technically be in, if I where in school. A lot of subjects I'm in the right grade, but there are several that I'm ahead in, and one or two that I'm behind in.)
Are you in high/middle/elementary school? High school
Why are you homeschooled? Mainly because my parent's #1 priority was that our family remains really close, and that is hard to do when you are gone for over half the day almost every day. There are other reasons, but that was the first one and the most important.
Do your parents teach you? Sometimes. My mother used to teach pretty much everything when I was little, but as me and my siblings have gotten older that has gotten harder. Now we do a good bit of self-teaching, my dad helps out, and we go to a homeschool co-op (that is kind of like a really laid-back school where you can pick which classes you want to go to, sometimes they have paid teachers and sometimes the teachers are just volunteers).
Do you use online resources? Yes
If so, please include here: easypeasyallinonehomeschool.com and khanaacademy.org (plus YWS, if that counts)
Do you do an online school? No
Do you live in the US? Yes
Do you enjoy homeschooling? Yes! I would be a very unhappy child if my parents tried to put me in school.
Comments: A big thing to keep in mind about homeschooling is that it is different for every family, and it is affected by where they live. I can tell you right now that I am very well socialized. I have so many homeschool groups that I am a part of and field trips I go on it's not even funny. But I know someone else who homeschooled in another part of the US where homeschooling is less popular and they had a completely different experience. Their nearest homeschool group was really far away. So they didn't get nearly as much outside interaction as I get.
~You can only grasp what you reach for~

Seeing is believing, but feeling is the truth.
— Thomas Fuller