z

Young Writers Society

Analyzing a sentence completely

Random avatar

Reviews: 4
Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:41 am
dhyan says...

In the Kannada language there are many poems and litterateurs'. There are also commentaries on them which show you what type of sentence it is, its structure, roots of each word and how to extract meaning from them.

Basically theses commentaries explain everything's. They show the line of thought of the writer. They also have certain formulas which can be used to extract meaning etc.

I was wondering if there is anything like this in english...
Writing to change myself.

That will change the world.

332 Reviews

Reviews: 332
Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:08 am
Blackwood says...

Unfortunately English is a twisted language, and things can be said and repeated in a seemingly endless amount of ways. Although there is sentence structure, in prose especially, it becomes vague; beauty being found through phrasing far from the basic utterances and short statements of day to day life.

I am not aware of any such formulas.
Hahah....haha.....ahahaha.

475 Reviews

Reviews: 475
Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:27 am
Apricity says...

Hey dhyan, there are all those things in the English Language for the English Language is a very broad and vast language. What you've described above is what I call English Linguistics.

English linguistics is a very technical study of the English language and how it is used. Its grammar, rules etc. When you say commentaries, I'm not sure if you mean them in fiction on just the language in general. But I will go into both.

The language:

The structure of the English language is basically its grammar rules, how each sentence should be structured and the correct way of writing it. The root of each word is called the etymology of the word. Which explains the meaning of the word, the root of the word -where it originated from (usually from Latin).

For example:

maternity (n.) , "quality or condition of being a mother," from French maternité "motherhood" (15c.), from Medieval Latin maternitatem (nominative maternitas) "motherhood," from Latin maternus (see maternal). Used from 1893 as a quasi-adjective in reference to garments designed for pregnant women.

Source:http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=maternity

When you say, commentaries. I'm not sure what you mean, I will assume you mean it in terms of fiction. Fiction is divided into many genres, and in most of these genres you don't get commentaries on the plotline. In fact, most fiction writers try to co-operate what we call 'suspension of disbelief' into their stories. Is when the readers actually go into the story and they don't realize there is an author at the other end of the keyboard making them feel these things.

However, there is one type of genre where you might get this type of commentary. The Post-Modernism genre, many of these books featured the author co-operating themselves into the novel and many well written post-modernism novels are autobiographical. In some cases, you may even get footnotes at the bottom of a page with the author's commentary on both the characters and the plotline. One author like this is Tim O'Brien.

I'm once again uncertain when you say certain formulas to extract meaning. So, you might want to elaborate on that or make it clearer.

To sum it all up, every language has its technical side. Is just a matter of whether you want to look into it or not.

http://ielanguages.com/linguist.html -> Look into this site here, I think it contains a lot of the answers you seek.
Previously Flite

'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.' ― Friedrich Nietzsche

~Open for business~

Random avatar

Reviews: 4
Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:24 am
dhyan says...

Flite, most of the things you said answer my questions. Talking about the formulas, are small but meaningful rules. Maybe something like : Commentaries are to clear doubts, destroy ignorance and......

The branch moon Rule: This means that If someone is trying to show someone the moon he will first point to the branch and tell the looker to look at it. Once the lookers eye is set on the branch, then he will say look a bit to the right and you will see the moon. Once the looker sees the moon he no longer needs to cling on to the branch, he must let go. Similarly certain concepts are described only to lead to the next, but ultimately must be left after the concept is revealed.

It is simple but there are certain rules that help children as well as adults understand the language and the culture etc.

English is a broad language but certain rules can help people to think more clearly as well. I've seen certain commentaries on poems, and this is what i'm looking for for essays or any other type of writing.
Writing to change myself.

That will change the world.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
— Steve Martin