z

Young Writers Society

Two Spaces

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:20 am
View Likes
Wolfi says...

Ever since I began typing, my mom has always instructed me to use two spaces in between each sentence. Therefore, I've always done it naturally and without a second thought. But after looking through several examples where there is only one space after each period, I wonder if what I've been doing is truly appropriate, or if it even matters. Does anyone know? Thank you!
John 14:27:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled
and do not be afraid.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:40 am
View Likes
birk says...

This has a really simple explanation. (And your mom might be some sort of cavewoman)

In the times before computers, as well as writing processors such as Word and OpenOffice, when the main source of writing was the typewriter, there was pretty much only one font option. On the typewriter, all the letters were written with a Monospaced font.

Which meant, that all the letters were all the same size and took up the same amount of space. So skinny letters like i or l both took up as much space as wider letters such as the w or m. To that end, when finishing a sentence they would use two spaces instead of a single one after each period to make it clear.

As the computers started popping up, the need for this disappeared. All writing processors now space the characters out evenly.

Nothing more than that.
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

440 Reviews

Reviews: 440
Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:56 am
Wolfi says...

Thank you very much, @Birkhoff. Your explanation was very helpful!
John 14:27:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled
and do not be afraid.

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:03 am
View Likes
skorlir says...

For what it's worth, font-spacing is also called "kerning," and anytime a computer shows a "terminal" interface (like the "command prompt" or "shell" or what-have you), that's still always monospaced. I'm probably like the only person on YWS who uses a monospaced text editor for writing stuff at all, but from time to time I do.

Also, when writing code, it's almost always monospaced. That makes it easier to delineate "blocks" of code - and it makes it easier to line up characters, which is valuable for a number of reasons. (Ever tried to line up the letters in two different sentences on Word? even of the same length? it's really hard if you have kerning turned on.)

None of that really has to do with the whole "two spaces" thing, but just spaces in general I guess. :P

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:34 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

I imagine double spacing after each sentence must be a bother when it comes to editing, but after testing it out it looks really pretty on the page.
We were born to be amazing.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.
— Eric Hoffer