z

Young Writers Society

Assassin Pay

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:59 am
TigersMoon says...

How much money would assassins get paid per kill? I'm talking per target they take down. Also their part of an agency, If that makes a difference.

Sorry if this post is weird, I'm tired.
Three ghosts in the lighthouse

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:06 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

It depends on the killer in question, the level of the target, who's doing the commissioning, and what's considered "a lot" or "a little" money in your world. (Ie- A single US dollar is 102.5 yen. A few hundred bucks vs a few hundred yen is a big difference)

High ranking, well established killers who have a history of hitting their mark are going to demand a lot of whatever they want. This doesn't necessarily have to be cash, too— it can be titles, a guaranteed "Get away with murder", a pretty castle, whatever. Lower ranking killers, who might be just starting out, or those who have a less fearsome reputation will charge far less... if their reputation is known. If not, then they can pretend to be amazing killers and get better rates.

Another factor is who the target is, namely because it'll take more work to kill a king than it will to kill your mid level manager boss. Higher ranking targets don't necessarily mean a higher ranking killer, simply because those high ranking killers can be too expensive for the person doing the commissioning. However, if it's treated as a difficult job, then more work= more money.

Thirdly, you'll need to consider how desperately the person asking for the killer is to kill the person. Those who really want a person gone are probably going to pay more and hire the best person simply because they want that person gone, and assassins can manipulate this to get paid way more than what the job's actually worth. However, if the person asking for a killer doesn't care, then the prices will get lower.

Finally, you do have to consider what's considered valuable in the world. Economic systems are hugely varied, with everything from arbitrary association that "this is a dollar" regardless of how much the materials cost (see: it costs 2.4 cents to make a penny), to going off something like the gold standard ("this material costs that much and everything will be compared to that material"), to having an economic system that doesn't use money exclusively (ie- barter and trade). People tend to want value, so they look for whatever they want the most at the time.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:45 pm
TigersMoon says...

Thanks for the information!
Three ghosts in the lighthouse

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:49 pm
View Likes
lostthought says...

I wonder how Rosey is so informed in this topic...
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:48 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Basic economic theory. The same principles apply across multiple scenarios.

There's also supply and demand: if a lot of assassins are there to take the job, prices will be lower because you have more people to pick from. If you have very few assassins, then the prices will be higher. You can also have fixed price rates organized by some sort of union, kinda like minimum wage.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say. I just watch what they do.
— Andrew Carnegie