z

Young Writers Society

Interview Advice

463 Reviews

Reviews: 463
Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:03 am
megsug says...

So, I was visiting my grandparents today, and my grandmother started telling this great story from her teaching career that could really be used as a plot in a book or short story. I started thinking about it, and I would really like to have these stories she tells on camera. I got this idea that writing about her life would be a cool project, but really, I would just like to be able to hear those stories even when she's not around though I hope that time won't come for long. Then I was thinking, because I'm an overachiever, if this is successful, maybe I could do this with all of the older people I'm close to, so that I can capture their history.

However, I don't want to be like, "Start telling stories... Now!" So, my question is, do any of you guys have advice for interviewing people? I only have a little really, like, no experience, so anything will help.
Test

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:29 am
View Likes
birk says...

Thinking back on it, I never really knew that much about my family before I was born. I only had one living grandparent who died when I was seven, and aside from what my parents were doing after they got together and had my siblings as well as myself, I didn't really know anything about the history.

It wasn't before I got older, that I began piecing things together and learned a bit about what both of their lives were like before. All of this came through talk with others. Older friends of my family, further out relations and so on. Which interested me a lot, and I talked a lot with one elderly family friend in particular.

Through him, I not only learned that my father had quite a sad childhood, but that his father, my grandfather who died a year before I was born, had it quite rough as well. I found out that he fought in the Navy during WWII and that when he returned he was a different man. He likely had PTSD and was often angry, often taking that out on his family. Despite all this though, I wished I'd known more. He seemed like an interesting guy.

I really like this project you're proposing here, Meg. Having your loved ones stories and voices around, recorded forever. It sounds really good. Tbh, I think the reason I found this so compelling, is because that man who told me so much about my family is currently living in an institution. He hasn't had much time left for quite a while now, has severe dementia, and can hardly remember himself, nor any others. I guess it puts your history in perspective.

Alright, enough rambling... on to interviews.

To be honest, I have never interviewed anyone. I don't know too much about the art of interviewing in itself, but I could give some thoughts on what or how to do it.

First off, as for interviewing your grandmother, I think that's something you can just ask her about. While I obviously don't know her, I'd think that's something she'd totally be willing to do for her granddaughter.

I don't want to be like, "Start telling stories... Now!"

Haha, why not? xD
Okay, a bit milder version might do better. How about just; "Can you tell me about your life? I'm really interested. You probably did so much stuff."

You're someone showing a lot of interest in your grandparents, from my point of view you could just ad-lib everything and they'd still be onboard.

That aside though, as for the interviewing itself, maybe you should compile some sort of list of questions? Questions that would get them talking a lot, bringing out the most interesting history in them etc?

How was your childhood? - Best childhood memory. Worst childhood memory.

What was the high point of your life? What was the lowest?

What were your dreams, hopes, and plans for life? Do you feel you achieved them?

Can you tell me of your romance history? Did you just find Granddad right away? (Beware of TMI) xD

A lot of these life themes you can sort of connect to yourself as well, seeing as you're young yourself.

Well, you can pretty much see where this list is going. Just find adequate questions to get the talk going.

Best adult memory, worst adult memory, religion, health history, any big scares, ever killed someone...etc.

Without any hands on experience with interviewing, it's hard to shell out too much advise without knowing your subject. I'm sorry that there's not much else I could profess. Maybe someone else can.

I love this idea though. ;)
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

463 Reviews

Reviews: 463
Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:15 am
megsug says...

Thanks, Birk!
My mother's father died last fall, and that was the first time I had ever been confronted with the fact that the people I'm used to having around all the time aren't going to be here forever. I guess I'm really fortunate.
Your advice is really appreciated.
Test

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:41 pm
Rosendorn says...

So when it comes to interviews, there are two primary types: open and closed.

Open interviews is what you're looking for here. They're marked by some prompts and basically letting the person answer however they want. Usually they're done around a topic, but you can just get a life history because people love to talk about themselves as a general rule. (Closed would be not enough room to elaborate, and you're going after very specific things)

Simple questions that prompt are your best bet. You can follow up with other questions based on what's interesting in the stories, but as a general rule you're really only enabling them to talk as long as possible.

Don't cut people off, especially if you're trying to get as deep and detailed a story as possible.

Do encourage them to follow up on little tidbits they alluded to within the story.

Do use silence to your advantage. Let them fill it and talk more.

Do set up a really large block of time for them to talk (one of my profs did an open interview that lasted four hours!) and have plenty of backup batteries/extra memory card space
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

You can cut all the flowers, but you cannot stop Spring from coming.
— Pablo Neruda