z

Young Writers Society

Alcohol: The First Sip

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:56 pm
lakegirls says...

How old were you when you first tried alcohol (if you ever have)?

One of the characters in my book is from France (now living in Toronto) and when she first moved to Toronto (when she's 11) she convinced her two friends to try a sip of wine. Now, I know 11 is young but where the French culture is slightly more lax about rules do you think this is believable? If not how old should they be when they first try alcohol?
Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don't feel I should be doing something else.
-Gloria Steinem

333 Reviews

Reviews: 333
Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:59 pm
retrodisco666 says...

I tried my first drink when I was like ten so I'd say it's believable
'I have loved to the point of madness, which for me is the only true way to love'
~Francoise Sagan

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:18 pm
tinny says...

In the UK you can have alcohol as young as five as long as it's in your own home and with your parents supervision. I had sips of my dad's beer and grandparents wine when I was pretty young. Mostly they tended to enjoy the fact that we'd pull faces and complain that it tasted awful.

My cousins were given a sip of wine to try back when I was living with them, they were five and seven at the time. They then pretended to be drunk. It was very cute.

As for belivable, I guess it depends on the context. Is she sneaking wine out without her parents knowing? Are they being offered it as part of a meal? Why does she want her friends to try wine? Is it for the enjoyment or taste, or for them to try being drunk?
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:37 pm
eldEr says...

Definitely believable. Alcohol rules here are generally disregarded by the majority of the juvenile/teenaged populace. In elementary school, half of my friends were already drinking by seventh grade. Which puts them at what? Eleven/twelve?

If it's just a sip, then it's especially believable. How far they'd be willing to go with it after that depends on the character.
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:35 pm
deleted5 says...

I drank cider once and thought a block of wood was my son.
I AM YOUR GOD. -AlexSushiDog
Checkmate Atheists.

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:05 pm
Holysocks says...

AlexSushiDog wrote:I drank cider once and thought a block of wood was my son.

That's not something to be proud of, Alex! XD

I don't remember the first time I tried alcohol. My parents believe that if you teach your kids that alcohol in moderation is OK, you won't have them taking off with friends and getting in to those kinds of trouble.

There was one time that my mom poured me a glass of wine at my aunts house, and my brand-new uncle kind of gave me a funny look. XD I was thinking: "mom! I'm underage, and he knows that!!!"

I think it's a good thing to start kids off with a sip of alcohol at a young age.
100% autistic

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:13 pm
Auxiira says...

Oh, definitely. Over here in France, kiddies are given watered down wine. I started having proper sips around 11, so totally realistic.
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:36 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

If she's Catholic, she'll have her first sip at the age of seven... though, technically, that's not really wine but Jesus' blood. ;)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:45 pm
Zolen says...

Children are exploitative, if they see adults doing it they want to try it, so even if the kid was 6 it would still be believable depending on how careless and casual the adults around her are.
Self quoting is the key to sounding wise and all knowing.

55 Reviews

Reviews: 55
Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:02 am
Cirute says...

I started mixing my grandmother's bourbon with gingerale at around 10. Heck, I've been smoking pot since age 12. It's realistic.
"Regrets, I've had a few. But then again, too few to mention."
-The Sex Pistols

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:04 pm
deleted5 says...

Holysocks wrote:
AlexSushiDog wrote:I drank cider once and thought a block of wood was my son.

That's not something to be proud of, Alex! XD

I don't remember the first time I tried alcohol. My parents believe that if you teach your kids that alcohol in moderation is OK, you won't have them taking off with friends and getting in to those kinds of trouble.

There was one time that my mom poured me a glass of wine at my aunts house, and my brand-new uncle kind of gave me a funny look. XD I was thinking: "mom! I'm underage, and he knows that!!!"

I think it's a good thing to start kids off with a sip of alcohol at a young age.

Pfff... Wasn't that much I'm just very light weight ;)
I AM YOUR GOD. -AlexSushiDog
Checkmate Atheists.

135 Reviews

Reviews: 135
Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:35 pm
View Likes
lakegirls says...

Thanks for all the responses! They've been extremely helpful and unexpectedly funny :)

-Nicole
Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don't feel I should be doing something else.
-Gloria Steinem

And you have to flaunt the weird, my friends.
— Alex Fierro