Young Writers Society

Hair Help!

663 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 663
Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:48 am
View Likes
Messenger says...

Hey ya'll. I am a teenage guy with only one sister, who, by the time I was writing, was already about 18. I really want to know if someone can help me with terms for girl hair. This would include color, length, names for different hair styles. I really have no clue at all besides ponytails and pigtails :) If you could include pictures as examples that would be great.

1634 Reviews

Reviews: 1634
Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:02 am
View Likes
Deanie says...

It depends, what type of hair do you want? Just choose colour, like red hair, or you know, afro-type or brown or blonde. Because once you choose one of those it can make it easier for people to know what you're looking for and if they can or can't help :D
Trust in God and all else follows.

Deanie, dominating the world since it was cool @Pompadour, 2014
Your username reminds me of a hotdog @Stegosaurus, 2015
Tried to make puns out of your username, but every attempt has been Deanied @Candywizard, 2015

663 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:06 am
Messenger says...

I just am speaking in general. I don't have a specific character in mind, but in general i know absolutely no hair style names. Like I know what a bun is, a ponytail, pigtails, and a perm. Das about it. What are some types of hair that would be worn say in the 1200's?

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:21 am
View Likes
Holysocks says...

1200's... O.O When's that?
100% autistic

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:26 am
View Likes
ScarlettFire says...

Holy, that's probably 1200 AD. As in, a year or a series of years; 1200 to 1299.

As for hair help. A bob is when the hair is cut short. Much like this;

Spoiler! :

You can have all sorts of bob cut styles. The one above is asymmetrical. Meaning it's not even all the way around.

As for 1200s, try plaits or similar. Um, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1200–1300_in_European_fashion <- copy/paste since it seems to be not working.
Last edited by ScarlettFire on Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:29 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

See, not all girls know those terms, either. So it really depends on what the character would know.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:49 am
View Likes
Iggy says...

I WAS BORN FOR THIS.

Okay, Messenger. First you gotta create her style, y'know? Her appearance, too.

Then decide what color you want. If it's natural, meaning it was never dyed, then it should be a bright and glossy shine with a healthy look. If it's dyed, say, green, you're gonna have roots showing.

Then decide the style of hair itself. Curls, waves, straight, short, long, bangs, no bangs, parted to the left, parted to the right, pig tails, corn rows, ponytail, braid (French, fishtail, plait), bun, teased, perm, a bob, etc.

Note that styling your hair may take a while. I suggest asking your sister because she shares our pain. She knows.

:mrgreen: G'luck!
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

663 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:52 pm
Messenger says...

@Iggy you are so amazing xDDD

396 Reviews

Reviews: 396
Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:19 pm
View Likes
Pompadour says...

You can use my username if you want. :P Though it is a rather old style ...
How to format poetry on YWS

this sky where we live is no place to lose your wings

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:02 pm
Demeter says...

A fringe/bangs is when you have hair covering your forehead. Fringe is UK English, bangs is American.

But you really don't need to make it too difficult! You can just say "shoulder length hair" or "waist length" or "short" or "long". Unless the character is a hair expert, she probably wouldn't use much different terms. :D

Spoiler! :
Ponytail: Image

Pigtails (kind of like two ponytails on either side of your head, can also be braided): Image

Bun (can be at any part of the head, a ball of hair): Image

When you're not wearing any specific hairdo, you have "loose" hair.
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

"Honestly, I think the world is going to end bloody. But it doesn't mean we shouldn't fight. We do have choices."
— Dean Winchester