z

Young Writers Society

Essay Tips

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:55 am
GDrama97 says...

I have to write an analytical essay in an exam and am wanting some tips of how to write a good essay to an unseen question.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:09 am
Rosendorn says...

1- Break the question down into parts. If you are asked to do X, Y and Z, you had better make sure you cover X, Y and Z.

2- Read the question before reading whatever you have to analyze. Then, as you're reading, make note of everything that relates to the question; this will give you more time to write

3- Outline in a checklist. Make sure you cover everything that is required you cover, including any citations you need to do. Then you can work the citations into your arguments easier.

4- Make sure you have your own opinion shining in the piece. An analytical essay is, after all, your analysis of the work. Get a good thesis statement that is your opinion and work from there.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

508 Reviews

Reviews: 508
Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:41 pm
dragonfphoenix says...

*sees that Rosey's been here*

Three major steps to consider in addition to Rosey's advice.

I. Remain calm.
II. Remember you are capable of writing.
III. Sketch a brief outline of your thoughts to see what can be organized together (I think Rosey's comment was similar but not worded like that).
D.F.P., Knight Dragon

Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you'll start having positive results.
— Willie Nelson