z

Young Writers Society

What should I post it as?

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Fri May 30, 2014 1:47 pm
TriSARAHtops says...

I've recently started working on a new project, and the first installment is ready to go. The only problem is, I don't know where I should post it on YWS, ie as a novel or short story.

In my own mind I think of it as a short, however it is quite long. It is comprised of 8 parts, each approx 1500-2000 words long, making it considerably longer than a short story, but nowhere near th a novel.

I'd really appreciate some thoughts on what the best method of posting would be, as I'd really like some feedback on it.

Thanks!
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Fri May 30, 2014 2:22 pm
birk says...

I'd advise you to post it in 'novel/chapters'. Just slam down a note saying that it's a part of a longer short story or a small novella.

When people review short stories I don't think they keep it in mind to return to later installments, as it's a short. Publishing it in chapters or parts might give it more attention.

In any case, as long as some good, dedicated reviewers check out your first part, I'm sure they'll stick through 'til the end. It sounds like you have a lot of the story figured out, so there might not be too long between each published part. People don't loose interest or forget.
"I never saved anything for the swim back."

Do not mistake coincidence for fate. - Mr Eko

they're selling razor blades and mirrors in the street

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Fri May 30, 2014 2:38 pm
LadySpark says...

Like Birkoff said, I think novel/chapters is the best place to put it. While it's not long enough to be a novel, it's long enough to be a novella, which is what most 'novel's are on yws anyway.
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Fri May 30, 2014 11:19 pm
TriSARAHtops says...

Thank you guys, I just wanted to double check!
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.
— Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights