z

Young Writers Society

Realistic fight scenes

Reviews: 3
Thu May 22, 2014 5:51 pm
View Likes
DarkDaughter says...

Hi,
So I'm currently going back over this story I wrote a while back to improve it but I am really stuck when it comes to fight scenes. I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to how people actually move when they fight, nor how their bodies would react to certain injuries.

For example in one of the scenes I am writing, the main character goes to throw a strong punch but ends up punching the wall instead. At the moment, the fight sequence itself and the injury that I described is in no way realistic at all.

I could really do with some help. If anyone knows anything or knows where I should look for some info, I would be really grateful!
Thank you! x
“Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Thu May 22, 2014 6:15 pm
lostthought says...

Let's see, upper cut- Usually hits stomach, groin, or face (typically underneath chin)

If you were to punch the wall in an uppercut, you would have to have the person jump out of the way remarkably fast.
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

862 Reviews

Reviews: 862
Thu May 22, 2014 7:45 pm
Morrigan says...

This seems to be pretty straightforward and logical about hand to hand combat.

I disagree with the "don't kick him while he's down" rule, as you're writing a novel, and no one in real life is going to be hurt.

What you need to know about fighting is that there are no rules, and the only thing going through your head is the fight or flight response. I'm more of a flighty person, but the fight urge has struck me several times, and yes, you're going to miss if the other person is running from you, or is faster than you. If one character's got another cornered, but suddenly the cornered one is about to get out of the way, the other character could punch a wall. Make him aim for the stomach. It's soft.
"So many poems growing outta them they're practically a poet-tree"
Gringoamericano

Writing is my soul made tangible on paper.
— bluewaterlily