z

Young Writers Society

Help! Writer's Block!

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Thu May 22, 2014 5:55 am
View Likes
hesmiledatme says...

I have the urge to write something in the form of a novel, but I can't form a story line that makes me want to keep writing. Everything I think of has already been done, and I can't seem to keep it interesting for the audience. I need something new, something you've pursued, or thought about pursuing. Maybe if you have way too many awesome ideas spewing from your ears you could toss a couple my way. Thanks!

Also, I'd like an opinion on this idea as well as alternate story lines to go with the ones that are already developing.

The original servant of nature, a witch, bounded her three sons to live an eternity apart in the same world because the three couldn't find it in themselves to get along. For a millennium they were forced to live in three divided worlds: Land, sky and water. Each son is the leader of their worlds and are completely aware of each others' existence, only they have no means of contact, that is until seventeen-year-old Lilian breaks the barrier from land to sky and changes things forever. She befriends a flyer called Tate, "he who talks too much" only to be turned in to the ruler of the sky. She believes him to be bad, but wants nothing but to be reunited with his brothers.

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Thu May 22, 2014 3:30 pm
View Likes
eldEr says...

The only way to get over writer's block is simply: Force yourself to write. If it's not the novel, write a short story with no real meaning. As long as you're writing something, you're creating self-discipline, and it'll most likely make bouts of writers' block shorter and less frequent. If it doesn't, well, then the trick is to keep yourself writing.

The cure to writers block is simply learning that writer's block is "mind over matter."

As for the synopsis you gave; I think it looks pretty great! My biggest advice would be to pay careful attention to world-building and character development. It's an original enough plot, and has the potential to be a really fun read.
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

155 Reviews

Reviews: 155
Thu May 22, 2014 6:12 pm
View Likes
Prokaryote says...

Find an emotional core; ideas will follow. Within yourself you have any number of experiences that have left you sad, mad, anxious, joyful -- latch onto one, let yourself feel the subtleties of that particular emotion, as tinted by the turmoil from which it was born, and ask yourself what other series of events could possibly bring about this same feeling in someone else. But don't stop there. Perhaps this shade of feeling would be coloured differently when it arises in a character whose personality varies vastly from your own; maybe a plot that would drive you to anger would provoke in another a wistful longing for peace or a thirst to placate trouble instead of a hunger to fight it.

Play with what-ifs, but focus less on "wouldn't this be cool" and more on "I wonder how this would feel?"
Last edited by Prokaryote on Thu May 22, 2014 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Thu May 22, 2014 8:06 pm
hesmiledatme says...

Thank you very much for your input! I guess it's one of those things I just have to do to get over. I never really have writer's block, I think it's just a phase of laziness. Who knows. I appreciate the feedback though!

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Fri May 23, 2014 5:08 am
Rosendorn says...

Here's a secret: when it comes to plots, emotions, and characters arcs, very very very little hasn't been done before. The unique things are:

- Characters
- Worlds

So like Shane said, really focus on those! But please do not get caught up in the quest to be "the most original person ever"... because that's basically impossible.

Your stories will be original because you are original. You will put your own take on things. You will dream up awesome worlds like the one you have there, and it'll be a unique thing because it's yours.

Focus on telling your own story. Your own voice is the important part. Once you find it, you'll be original.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Man is by nature a political animal.
— Aristotle