z

Young Writers Society

Writing a Devouly Religious Character

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Sat May 10, 2014 8:43 pm
Stori says...

1) How do you feel about drinking, swearing, and premarital sex? Can you still be devoutly Catholic while doing these things?

*I'm not a "religious person." What I mean is, I don't believe in formulas and daily rituals. I'm a Christian- a believer in the only sinless Person, Jesus Christ.

I think swearing is less serious than taking the Lord's name in vain. That said, I do try not to let any profanity pass my lips. Not always successfully; we're all human here.

Personally, I don't ever plan on drinking. But I understand that other people enjoy a drink now and again.

Oh boy, premarital sex. I definitely think it's unhealthy and that American society has a fixation with it- so much so that the term "sexy" has lost any objective meaning. (A car is sexy? How; it's not a living, organic being.)

2) Is it appropriate to get engaged while in your early twenties?

Love is never inappropriate, so long as it's genuine. We see in the New Testament that the greatest expression of love is self-sacrifice, though. If that means waiting till both parties are of legal age, that's a small sacrifice.

3) How often do you go to worship? Read Scripture? How often do you think you should?

Not as often as I should! The Bible clearly states that believers "should not forsake the gathering of ourselves together". And, truth be told, some parts of the Word are boring. There'll be a summation of events with no real details.

4) Who is God? What is your relationship with him? How do you feel about him?

God is God. He's everywhere. To me, He is a dynamic person like you and I, albeit an invisible one.

How do I feel about Him? Well, he's one of the few persons I can be sure will never desire me in a carnal way. That helps a lot- knowing that there's a pure, loving, non-sexual being who has my best interests at heart.

What are my views on death?

I think Yoda sums it up pretty well: "Luminous beings we are, not this crude matter." So, to elaborate, everyone is a spirit residing in a body. When that body dies (or we're raptured from the world) we go heaven. Or hell, if we choose not to put our faith in Jesus.
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Miles Vorkosigan

"You can be an author if you learn to paint pictures with words."
Brian Jacques

Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.
— Mark Twain