z

Young Writers Society

How do you write?

Random avatar

Reviews: 4
Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:50 am
View Likes
dhyan says...

Do you intentionally choose the words you use or do you go with the flow?

How do you come about with different sentence structure? Does it come naturally or do you try and use a variety of sentence structures?
Writing to change myself.

That will change the world.

317 Reviews

Reviews: 317
Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:01 pm
lostthought says...

It usually comes naturally.

Like: The wind blew gently through my head. The smell of violets and roses penetrate my nostrils with its sweet fragrance. This would've been great to- if only the sun was up to play.
"Aaloo is potato in urdu, like AAAAAA-loo, or like AAAAA-look such delicious deliciousness."
-Pompadour

"MY SOUL IS A GREY ABYSS"
-QueenOfHearts

172 Reviews

Reviews: 172
Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:12 pm
View Likes
Laure says...

Unlike lost, I actually use a combination of both. I'm conscious of what I'm writing and I try to manipulate it into what I want to say, but at the same time I have the words in my head and a rough image. However, sometimes in deseperate times. I actually have to squeeze out those words. But don't do that, it deteriorate the writing. I also believe the mood and the mind set you are in is very important, like I can't write a uplifting and cheerful sentence when I'm in a horrible mood and vice versa.

How people write depends on a lot of factors that is related to the individual, I believe.

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Thu May 01, 2014 2:05 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

I have to write fast to get the best quality of my writing. If I write slow then I have the exact same stuff going through my head, except only half of it makes it onto the page.

I'd rather practice things like sentence structure so I can study and put it into practice, and then have it come naturally than to consciously think of it as I go.
We were born to be amazing.

494 Reviews

Reviews: 494
Thu May 01, 2014 2:46 pm
View Likes
Holysocks says...

I think a lot of writers let it flow first, and later take a step back, and look at the words they've used, the dialogue, the imagery etc.- it's called editing.

That's the cool thing about writing; it's one of the few arts that is suppose to seem bad, at first. You can play with it, mold it, scribble, erase, and it's all in fun.

Sentence structure, eh? Honestly, my best advice to you, is to write. I actually don't know what a structured sentence is... I might know one that isn't, if I see one. ;)

There is some advice a writer can give a fellow writer, but when it comes down to it; it's really a matter of trial and error. Just make sure you're having fun whilst doing so.
100% autistic

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Thu May 01, 2014 2:55 pm
View Likes
PiesAreSquared says...

I normally just let the story go with the flow, have a few characters and just buzz out the story. And very quickly.

Then suddeny a awesome reviewer comes along and reminds me that I don't have a plot worth speaking of. So I change the plot and charge right back into the story. Full steam.

Then yet another reviewer comes and reminds me that my new plot isn't at all better than the old. And thus I came to know the feeling of déjà moo
The moment you say that one set of moral ideas can be better than another, you are, in fact, measuring them both by a standard, saying that one of them conforms to that standard more nearly than the other. C. S. Lewis

I used to be ZLYF

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Thu May 01, 2014 3:41 pm
View Likes
eldEr says...

Floooowww bby~

Honestly though, if I have a direction that I want a scene to head in, or a rough idea of what I want a scene to accomplish/get across, that's all I need. I'll have a few pieces of dialogue stuck in my head already, but other than that, it's all up to my brain sending messages to my fingers as we fly.

It was said above that editing is where the conscious thought comes in, and I'd have to agree. I proofread, fix up the obviously awkward sentences and any mistakes (that I catch. I have a tendency to miss them), and we're good to go.

Thinking too hard about exactly what words you want to write next as you're writing tends to be a bad plan of action. Takes away from the quality of the writing, stilts the character voice, and generally just stifles the work (emotionally and prose-wise).
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

396 Reviews

Reviews: 396
Tue May 27, 2014 8:50 am
Pompadour says...

To me, writing is like being caught in a drunken haze; half the time I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing or where the story is going. The slower I try to write, and the more careful I am with picking out words, the harder it gets to establish a flow. It's like building brick walls around yourself, and by the time you're done, you realize that it's utterly impossible to change the bricks around or the whole structure will fall. I'd rather knit a scarf as long as the Nile and clip off stray threads when I'm done.

In other words, the more you think about what you're doing, the less you have the ability to actually think... if that makes any sense. One thing I've noticed, though, is that re-reading and reviewing your own work always helps, as long as you take a bit of a break from it, because there are certain errors that only you can identify, and others might not notice.
How to format poetry on YWS

this sky where we live is no place to lose your wings

Random avatar

Reviews: 4
Wed May 28, 2014 3:22 am
dhyan says...

Some interesting views. Keep going on... you're inspiring me, oh and other newbies like me.
Writing to change myself.

That will change the world.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
— Bilbo Baggins