Young Writers Society

Need help for an Interview

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:10 am
View Likes
ShakespeareWallah says...

Hi guys,

I'm assigned to do an article on "How changes in textbooks affect students" for the youth supplement of The Daily Star paper here in Dhaka.

The board textbooks have been changed recently, with some of the books being condensed, some expanded, and some completely re-written. There have also been new books added.

I have talked to teachers and students of at least five different schools, but, apparently I have to also talk to some people of the education board regarding this. That is where I am having a fit.
What do I ask them?

I would really appreciate the help, guys. :)

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:01 pm
Rosendorn says...

Well, what information are you trying to get?

Is your article about how the textbooks affected students, why the curriculum changed, the budget allocated to do the change/how long it took to plan it, or something else, like how education is adjusted to fit a political agenda? (Why yes everything we learn in school has an agenda behind it)

That hugely impacts what you ask. You need a focus for the article in order to build your questions around that.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

133 Reviews

Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:25 pm

Well, primarily, why they think these changes were needed, were they really need, how they think these changes will benefit students, why haven't they, then, done them before if they think so, how big the gap between the students who've read the old books and the ones who've read the new books are...

stuff like that.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:06 pm
Rosendorn says...

You kind of have all your questions right there. Just rephrase them.

Were these changes really needed?
Why do you think they were?
How will these changes benefit students?
Why haven't you done these changes before, if they're so beneficial?
(or: Why were they implemented, if they're not beneficial?)
How big is the gap between the students who've read the old books and the ones who've read the new books?

Simple as that!
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

133 Reviews

Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:03 am

Thanks, Rose. :)

I'm effortlessly ironic.
— Link Neal