z

Young Writers Society

Wrote a prolouge.......cant move on

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:58 pm
Dreamer84 says...

Alright thank you so much for even considering giving me help.
So I started a new novel and it is in a genre I am just trying out and I'm really excited.
I wrote this amazing eye-catching prolouge but now I can't find the words to start chapter 1. I am writing it for Camp Nanowrimo. I got as far as the prolouge and that it will be a dystopian novel. any advice on getting started???
I have read many dystopian society themed books but I'm afraid that if I look to those novels for help that I won't be writing my story, I will just be altering there's :(

Please someone help.

Spoiler! :
Here is my prolouge...
Freedom...the only thing in this world that is wanted, but never had. Not even when we are told we do. We are always going to be trapped. The world gave us freedom, but to them, it's just another word in the dictionary. To them, we will never be free. We are just many pieces in their game. That is why I'm going to try my hardest to truly be free, not merely a piece in their demented game of life.
Don't let small minds convince you that your dreams are too big ~Unknown

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:56 pm
Tenyo says...

Have you thought up the who's, where's and why's yet?
We were born to be amazing.

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:42 pm
crossroads says...

Okay, so let's see what you got first.

Dreamer84 wrote:Freedom...the only thing in this world that is wanted, but never had. Not even when we are told we do. We are always going to be trapped. The world gave us freedom, but to them, it's just another word in the dictionary. To them, we will never be free. We are just many pieces in their game. That is why I'm going to try my hardest to truly be free, not merely a piece in their demented game of life.

This world. Earth of today, Earth of tomorrow, another world? Why is freedom the only thing that's wanted but never had? Does that mean they have everything else, given to them by some kind of authority/owners, or that they don't care about having anything else, even though their lives aren't all that perfect, but freedom? In either case, freedom of what, and who are those wanting it? Prisoners, the poor, unwanted children, warriors of some sort, androids with a tad too much free will..? How are they trapped?
And then you say the world gave them freedom - in the sense of them having rights, but being exploited somehow nonetheless? To whom is it just another word in the dictionary? The authority? Gods? Who or what are they, how did they get to be the authority, what is it that makes them so powerful that they can take freedom away from everyone? What is this game they're playing? Are there opponents of some sort, is it a political game, are they trying to do some break in the field of science, time traveling, necromancy, cabbage growing..?
If they are some sort of deities, and the "game" is life itself, does that mean the people's lives are so terrible that they yearn freedom (death?) more than anything? This main character seems to dislike things as they are, and will obviously want to do something about it - just for him/herself, or is there something/someone they care about? Will there be punishment for wanting/trying to live their life freely? Can they escape this game somehow? Why or why not, and how?

As you see, and as Ten stated, there are many questions you need to have answers to, and the ones I mentioned now are just the most obvious ones - of course there are more delicate issues regarding politics, history, character relations, the world itself, evolution and so on and so forth. If you don't have answers to them all yet, you will eventually, but figuring out at least most of the ones I asked above would be a pretty good start.

And then, there's your character. Who's s/he? What are they like, what kind of position do they hold (if any), what makes them interesting enough to even be the MC..?

Really, you could base the beginning of your story on the answer to any of the questions above, or even the questions themselves. Maybe they don't know who the authority is, or what they might find as they break free (if it's physically breaking free from somewhere) - so they could wonder about that. If you're not sure how to start, have them observe the city or some item for some reason, and then have something happen and interrupt it somehow (it can be their own willing action) - later you might find the intro with observing unnecessary, but it could be helpful at first *shrug*

Also, isn't NaNo in April? No writing before it officially starts, that's cheating! :mrgreen:
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

44 Reviews

Reviews: 44
Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:41 am
Dreamer84 says...

OMG!!!!!!! I'm SOOOOO excited I finally brought myself to write that first sentence and now I can't stop. Thank you guys for the advice it was really helpful now I am going to create a new thread on a new topic that I am wondering about :D :D :D :wink: :mrgreen: :smt003 :smt003 :pirate3: :smt024 :smt023 (:
Don't let small minds convince you that your dreams are too big ~Unknown

To be absolutely certain about something, one must know everything or nothing about it.
— Olin Miller