z

Young Writers Society

Questions for british people

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:23 pm
LadyLazarus says...

Hey there. I'm writing a novel about an American living in a small village in Devon and I was wondering are there any British people, UK citizens, or anyone who has spent extensive time in Britain here who are willing to answer a few questions I have? I lived in England for about seven months when I was sixteen, but now I'm back in the States and not everything was cleared up for me. My questions are mostly about the education system, GCSEs and getting into university, but also the occasional question about colloquial language and "what do you call...?" stuff. If anyone can help, that'd be great!

~Laz

333 Reviews

Reviews: 333
Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:28 pm
retrodisco666 says...

I am fully at your disposable haha :) I am at uni so I've been through the entire system
'I have loved to the point of madness, which for me is the only true way to love'
~Francoise Sagan

95 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 95
Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:46 pm
Clarity says...

Doing my GCSEs.... so I can help with that and other things. :D
"Be courageous and try to write in a way that scares you a little."

she/they

Home is where the books are kept.

433 Reviews

Reviews: 433
Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:55 pm
TakeThatYouFiend says...

Also doing my GCSEs, so if you want to ask anything. ..
*hums rule Britannia*
You know that studded leather armour in films? Nobody wore that. I mean, how would metal studs improve leather armour?

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:27 pm
View Likes
Tenyo says...

This has a neat diagram with the British school structure on it.

The first one (in green) is mostly associated with northern public schools.
The second one (blue) is more associated with southern public schools, which would include Devon.
I've only ever seen the third in private schools (and probably boarding schools.)

In 2013 the law changed, making education compulsory up to age 18. From 16 you have to be in sixth form or college, an apprenticeship (a work-based training scheme) or in part time education- in which you'd be able to work as well but no more than twenty hours per week.

University applications and fees are changing constantly these days and vary between university, so I'm not sure how definite an answer you'd be able to get. What I do know is that there are different routes to applying.

~ The academic route, which is your basic go to college, get some qualifications and then apply.
~ The Access Route, which is a year of intensive study that gets you a qualification that is very specified to one subject, but it will get you straight into uni. You have to be 18+ to do this one.
~ At 25+ You can apply as a Mature Student, so if you don't have qualifications but have a lot of prior experience then universities will consider the application.
We were born to be amazing.

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:09 pm
deleted5 says...

Prior GCSE here! Glad to help :)
I AM YOUR GOD. -AlexSushiDog
Checkmate Atheists.

Love is all we have, the only way that each can help the other.
— Euripides