z

Young Writers Society

Help!!! Don't know what to do now :$

Random avatar

Reviews: 4
Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:20 am
dhyan says...

Help! I've been trying to write something for a while. Anything on a word page. But i'm getting nowhere. Stuck after a few lines on every topic i write on. But unfortunately i'm not creative enough i guess. I guess i'm not God gifted with writing. Do you think i should just stick to reading. Even then, i'm reading all over the place. Read two pages of this, then to pages of that.

Don't know what to do with life now. Joined the forum so that i can just maybe become a good or at least a decent writer one day. Don't know what to do now. I'm 21 years old but i write like a baby. Some youngsters on this forum write so great at such a young age. Its good to see that. I'm not jealous. But i feel I've waste my whole life not being able to write well.

Please Help :$ :$ :$
Writing to change myself.

That will change the world.

1274 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1274
Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:16 am
View Likes
niteowl says...

For writing prompts, I've used this site before for some interesting ideas.

Based on this and your previous posts, it sounds like you're putting a lot of pressure on yourself. Personally, when I feel too pressured to write something amazing, or even good, I freeze up and not much actually gets written.

When you do find something to write about, just write what comes to mind and revise later.

Also might be worth trying handwritten, at least for short stuff. I find I get distracted easily on a computer. Plus it makes it easier to just write, and then revise when I type it out. Then again, I usually write poems, so this might not work for long stories. :P

As for reading, if you're not interested in reading something, stop reading it. There's nothing wrong with that (unless it's for school, then you should probably read it anyway). If you like what you're reading but just like jumping around, that's okay too. Also no need to choose between reading and writing. Reading makes you a better writer and writing makes you a better reader. :)

I don't know if writing is very much about "God-given talent". No matter how talented you are, if you're not writing, you're not improving. We all start at different places, and that's okay.

Don't give up! :)
"You do ill if you praise, but worse if you censure, what you do not understand." Leonardo Da Vinci

<YWS><R1>

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:40 pm
LadySpark says...

Hey there! I understand the whole 'am I good enough writer I can't seem to write anything' dilemma! It sucks. Like niteowl says, you seem to be putting a looottt of pressure on yourself. Let it go, darling! It doesn't matter what age or skill you start at if you really want to do it. Anyone can learn to write if they try hard enough, so don't even worry about it.

I've got a couple of suggestions that might help you out, though.
If you're determined to write novels, spend extra time on the plot. Plot out every chapter individually so you /know/ you'll have something to write about. If you're don't care what you write, as long as you write something, try out some short stories! Have you tried poetry? Experiment with everything writing literature has to offer, you might find your niche before you know it. If you work better with people helping you along with the plot, why not join an interesting storybook and practice writing there? Or convince a friend to role play with you in a pressure free setting.
Prompts are fun, but they don't work for everyone. Me, for example. Prompts have never worked for me. But by all means, try it out!

I promise, when you relax and just let the words go, it'll be ten times easier. And don't be hard on yourself! Nobody starts writing with perfect skills. We all have to build them into something great. :)
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

Random avatar

Reviews: 328
Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:43 pm
View Likes
deleted30 says...

First of all, take a big breath and relax. Clear your mind. Forget your troubles. Better? Let's continue. :D

Here's a little secret no one talks about: Writing is hard. In fact, writing can seem nearly impossible at times. As for being "God-gifted" with writing... I do believe some people are born with extraordinary writing gifts. But you want the truth? Even the people that are born with these gifts are horrible at first. Horrible.

Take me, for example. My dad's a published author, journalist, and editor. My great-aunt's an editor. My cousin's a writer and journalist. You can say writing kind of runs in my veins. You might even think that I'd be good at writing when I first started.

No! I was revoltingly awful! My first story was called "Ella the Mountain Lion and the Duck," for Lord's sake. I was absolutely terrible.

Everyone starts somewhere. The only reason these youngsters around you might be "better" than you is because they started out at a younger age. Tell me, how long have you been writing, or interested in writing? Since you were a kid or more recently? I find that practice really does make perfect. I've written hundreds of stories, and been doing this for years and years. That's the only reason I can call myself a pretty good writer. It might not be comforting to hear, but you have to practice and, in my opinion, read.

Practice

Write anything. For me, if I can't think of anything, I'll write a short story. The thing about shorts is that they can be one or two pages long only, and about any topic, really... they're good practice for what I really write (novels).

Don't get caught up in doing this or that. Don't worry about being good or bad. Even if you're writing something you think is putrid, keep going. And if you're really stuck, definitely check out the plot bunny adoption for ideas or prompts/contests for some inspiration.

Reading

Reading is only fun if you have a book you like. Period. Find an author or a series of novels you enjoy and can get into and read, read, read. I try to read fifty to a hundred pages in one sitting (of course, I'm a speed-reader). For you, I'd recommend trying to read a chapter of a book each night before you go to bed. But only do this with a book/novel you enjoy... otherwise, it'll feel like torture. XD

You could also read the stories on this site. The chapters on here are (for the most part) much shorter than what you'd find in a book, plus there's some great poems and shorts. Read these, maybe review them (it really does help with your own writing), and take from these as many things as you can (i.e., narration, pacing, imagery, whatever).

Other Stuff

If prompts and reading fail you, if you have such bad writer's block you can't write to save your life... pick a different career.

Just kidding. XD

You're not the first person, or the last person, to feel this way. Not by a long shot. Even the best writers have days of questioning themselves or wondering if they're good enough. I mentor young writers in real life and have seen so many of them think about quitting, and they almost do. But those that don't are always glad, because usually, if they weather the storm long enough, they'll have a breakthrough. They, like all writers, will improve. And I know you will too, if you just hang in there.

Don't worry about others being better than you. Don't worry about what anyone else is doing; focus on yourself and only yourself. If you compare their writing to yours, it won't make you feel any better. Tune out the world, tune out all other writers, and focus on only you and your writing.

If you have writer's block, write about something dumb. When I first started writing, I wrote about my toys. I wrote a fifty-plus page story all about my Barbie dolls. :smt003 Don't get caught up in having a great idea, or even having any talent. If you worry you're a hopeless case and not good enough, or that you "write like a baby," you'll get into a tizzy and be unable to write. So forget about that!

Look around you and find something to write about, anything. Write about your printer. Write about a tree. Write about your coffee table. Seriously, anything. There's no right or wrong. Yes, there are rules in writing, but forget the rules and just write.

Don't doubt yourself. Don't question yourself. Let your fingers run wild and write about whatever you feel, whatever you want. Don't censor yourself because of fear or insecurity.

Support

Having someone to talk to or vent to does help. I have a club on here you might want to check out: clubs/1819/wall

There, you can vent about writer's block, brainstorm, find a mentor or co-writer to help you out, et cetera. (You can subscribe to it on the right-hand side, the little "subscribe" button below the name and logo.)

I'd also be happy to help you out if you have any questions or just want to talk/complain. Feel free to PM me anytime for advice or worries or anything else. Like I said, I've talked a lot of young writers off the giving-up-on-writing ledge, so I'm always willing to give advice to someone that's thinking about quitting. Because no one should quit. Even the world's most horrible writer can and will become great one day, with enough practice. :)

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:46 pm
Stormcrow says...

Hi! I'm 14, and a pretty good writer (not to sound conseted. I just am). However, sometimes u just can't write. Happens to me a lot. I've been working on a novel for a while, but every now and then I just can't write anything. But I also have read tons and tons of stuff in my genre. I write sci-fi. I would also read fantasy, it gives u good ideas. read LOTR, Simon Bloom (for younger kids but great examples of what u can do with science), Enders game series, Dune series, the hobbit, if u really want the Simmerialian, and maybe some things like Eragorn, which was written by a kid at 15. HP might be nice, but I wouldn't if u haven't already, although i ha basically all the old fantasy ideas in it.
Caleb Julius

Random avatar

Reviews: 4
Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:21 am
dhyan says...

Niteowl, SparkToFlame lucrezia and stormcrow, Thanks a lot!!!

Honestly, i think i'm starting to believe in myself. I don't want to show any negativity, especially after all the inspiration you've given me. You've all given me some good ideas. I'll try them out and see what works for me. Can't thank you all enough. You've written so much on here just to help me :$

I'lll try mybest to write
Writing to change myself.

That will change the world.

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
— Bill Nye