z

Young Writers Society

How do I describe the English countryside?

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:28 am
NewHope says...

My character lives in a small town in the Free State, South Africa before being forced to move to the English countryside. My character wakes up to an estate filled with a massive forest. Later he runs away and from a 'cliff' he sees a big landscape of hills and trees and a stream at the bottom. Could any describe the forests of England? Whereabout would I find a countryside in England that's covered in forests and very hilly? (Very far from any city as well.) What about the greenery? What types of trees would there be? What types of preferably non-flowering plants? Are streams often filled with rubbish in England?

Thank you for any future answers,
Frances

1232 Reviews

Reviews: 1232
Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:09 pm
MailicedeNamedy says...

Hi,

Mailice here with a piece of short advice for you! :D

So, I never was in England. Probably has to do, that I can´t swim through the Channel. Anyway, I try to give you a bit of general advice.

First of all, I would recommend that you look at a lot of pictures, maybe even documentation of England, to get a general idea of what it looks like there. And also know the difference between North England and South England, and maybe the difference between UK and England, because the Highlands / Lowlands in Scotland are something else, so is Wales.

Then I would try to describe what I see to get a feeling of "writing myself into" the story. I think it doesn't always have to be in exact detail, but it also helps to find out what plants live there, what the villages look like and what animals live there to give the whole description a bit more depth and reality.

I would advise you to do that for many things where you don't know what something looks like.

I hope that was helpful.

Mailice
Reality is a prison and time is its guard

I´m just a random girl with gentle manners

Every bad voice in your head was once outside

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:12 pm
View Likes
NewHope says...

Thank you. I have decided on a specific place but will still do a lot of research as you suggest. :twisted: (Smiles)

"People should not be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
— V for Vendetta