Young Writers Society

Home » Forums » Resources » Research

Fae Lore

223 Reviews

Reviews: 223
Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:09 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

I've done digging of my own and absorbed media representation, but I'm always starved for knowledge of the Fae and I'd love to hear what kind of stories or lore that other people have found in their own person research or just acquired over time.

I'm really looking for anything. Seelie, Unseelie, Faeries/Fairies, things associated with the Fae (anywhere from fairy rings to stuff like changeling lore).

Anything you can share is much appreciated (and enjoyed because I adore everything Fae related).
There's a thin semantics line separating weird and beautiful. And that line is covered in jellyfish.

I believe in a universe that doesn't care and people that do.

1124 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1124
Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:27 pm
View Likes
StellaThomas says...

Hey @mellifera

I'm sure that you know most of the stuff that I'm going to tell you, but I'll do it anyway. Fairies are a big part of Irish folklore, and our landscape is literally formed by these stories. The biggest example of that is definitely fairy trees. You can see them all over the Irish countryside - usually a hawthorn tree, growing in the centre of a field by itself. If you cut it down, you'll be cursed by the fairies who make their home underneath it, and usually the curse will fall on your cattle. So, they're everywhere. We even famously once diverted a motorway because of a fairy tree.

Other examples include leaving a bowl of milk out in the hopes that brownies will come and clean your house, or having an iron horse shoe nailed above your door for protection from the fairies. Another big one is that most Irish people would never have a mirror in their child's bedroom, because there's a superstition that this is how babies are stolen and replaced by changelings (who live in the mortal world until the age of seven when the children are swapped back).

There are lots of other stories, like fairies with lanterns leading people astray on the bogs. Some of these paint the Sidhe in a good light, some in a bad light.

And everyone knows that if you ever end up in the fairy kingdom, to never eat their food - for fear of being stuck there for seven years.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

1704 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1704
Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:49 pm
BlueAfrica says...

I obviously don't have the cultural depth of knowledge about fae lore that @StellaThomas does, since I'm American, but iron and salt as sort of fairy repellents/things that cause fae creatures pain. And also glamour, like if you go into the fairy kingdom you'll see all these wondrous things but they're actually just sticks and rocks and mushrooms and things that are enchanted to look like magical things to human eyes.

Maybe we're all just complex human beings with skewed perceptions of each other.
— Ventomology