z

Young Writers Society

How To Get To Know Your Character Better: 101

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:22 pm
View Likes
LadySpark says...

Characters are difficult. If anyone knows, it's me. In my new novel for NaNoWriMo, I love my Main Characters brother more than I love my main character, and I want to make the novel all about him... Even though that wouldn't be in the novel's, or his, best interests. This is why I've decided that the topic of characters is the best first post in my NaNoWriMo prep series.

How To Make Your Characters Your Characters

There are going to be a lot of people in your writing career that tell you they have the magic recipe for a perfect character.

That's most likely not true.

No one is ever sure about their characters, if they're any kind of a writer at all.

Basically, if you think you don't have any control over your characters, that they just do whatever they want, you're on the path to something awesome, but something also very annoying. Throughout these preparation posts, I'm going to be refrencing my saving grace (and writer bible), Spilling Ink By Ellen Potter and Anne Mazer.

So grab your computer, your pen, your paper, whatever you use to record your thoughts and get ready for a tell-all session worthy of a sleep over.

Next, make a list of all the questions you want to ask your character. You might start with asking what their favorite color is, or what the like for breakfast. They'll answer, you just have to listen. One question Ms. Potter says is the most important, however is

What do you really, REALLY want more than anything else in the world?

Unlocking your character's heart's desire might just be the secret to getting your character to do what you want. Knowing what they love or what they need in life might truly be the super secret special ingredient to your magical character recipe.

After you finish asking your character all these questions, you should know them better, or at least be at the beginning of a relationship with your character.
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

We think in generalities, but we live in details.
— Alfred North Whitehead