z

Young Writers Society

NaNo Programs/Apps

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:16 am
View Likes
Crysi says...

(A rare and wild Crysi has been spotted in the forums!)

Hey all,

I posted a blog about this, but I'm just wondering: What programs/apps do you use for NaNoWriMo, and which would you recommend?

Personally, I've been using Scrivener for Windows. It's a fantastic program, especially if you get the 50% discount from winning NaNo. I've found it really has everything I need and I'm definitely more productive with it.

However, I'm primarily going to be writing in/between classes this year, meaning I'll be using my iPad. Unfortunately, Scrivener for iPad won't be out in time, so I've been checking out Storyist. I may just end up using Pages or Daedalus Touch, since I already own them.

As for other programs I've used, I tried WriteWay a while back but wasn't too fond of it. I've used Word, but that gets boring. yWriter was interesting, but again, it just didn't fulfill my needs.

So. What do you use to get to the 50k mark?
Love and Light

96 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 96
Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:25 am
View Likes
noninjaes says...

Write or Die. Google it.
The hardest setting for punishment works best.
Write or Die plays annoying sounds / displays messages / starts "pressing" backspace if you stop writing for too long.
It is really good for word wars and forcing yourself to write.
Noni Naps Through Nano
NaPoWriMo 2016
Stories Not Otherwise My Own

AnnieJaePayne
The Three Ninjateers
Being awesome since Jan 2012.

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:48 am
EloquentDragon says...

Ugh. I hate write or die. The format is just... ergh. Thing is, my "rough" drafts are usually pretty much "non-rough" so when I go back to revise on drafts it's hard to cut, change, or add b/c it fits together so nicely! (Something I've been chiding/kicking myself for. I "read" a passage in my head---like someone else wrote it---and then have to copy that word for word.)

Anways, back on topic....

I like to use Celtix (a screenwriting program) for plotting and such, because it's so flexible. However, it is no longer free. :(

BTW, There's a program out there for the ipad which uses index cards. Now, if you are a person who likes to use index cards, obviously this would be cool. (I, unfortunately, do not have an ipad)

Really though? Fancy internet programs don't work b/c I get distracted... what works best for me is Word without internet connection or a pad of paper and a pen. :wink:
No more countin' dollars... we'll be countin' stars.

Enter, if you dare.

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:43 pm
yubbies21 says...

I've been using Mindjet Manager for a little while and just love the visual display it gives my story. I like being able to see the outline and all the plans I've made! :)
beep

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:10 am
crossroads says...

I like Novel Idea for iPad! It's rather similar to Scrivener, you can have character profiles and scenes and settings and separated chapters and scenes and folders and whatnot... and it's free c:
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

179 Reviews

Reviews: 179
Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:41 am
View Likes
r4p17 says...

Oh my goodness! @AriaAdams this app is sooooooooooo awesome!!!
One writer with one imagination makes thousands of new worlds and stories." ~ Anonymous author

True belonging doesn’t require you to change who you are, it requires you to be who you are.
— Brené Brown