z

Young Writers Society

Nano '22: Snoink's corner

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:55 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

So I went out and got a winter coat for 60% off its original price at a consignment shop and I am feeling pretty awesome, lol.

this is the best feeling!!!!! ugh. i'd be riding this high for a MINUTE.
I need a new winter coat this year too and of course I'm waiting until after it truly dips into cold to go find one because I was like lol what if it just magically stays in the 60s/70s all winter??
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:54 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

@Carlito, right??? I was honestly so stoked about the jacket, lol. This is my first winter in the Northeast, so I am suuuuuuper excited about snow!!!! I lived in California and Washington, and I though having a day where there was snow falling down (without it sticking) was amazing, so to have an entire winter of it??? YESSSSSS.

Anyway! MY COMPUTER DIDN'T DIE AT ALL YESTERDAY, WOOOO!

I wrote for 2240 words for a total of 17120 words. YEAH.

(See??? I can write when my computer isn't giving me the blue screen of death every two minutes!!!)

ALSO.

We have hit the official call to the adventure! That's right... before this part, I was mostly wrapping some loose ends up from the previous books, but NOW our trusty hero has officially gotten his quest! Because this is a FANTASY book and what is a fantasy book without a quest???

YOU: But Snoooooooink. None of your other fantasy books really had a definite quest.

ME: Shush.

YOU: Like... book 1 was definitely a blatant teen romance novel with random magical Swans shoved in it for some indiscernible reason???? (Like, seriously, wtf is with all the random Swans?)

ME: SHUSH.

YOU: And book 2 was them going, "LOLWUT WE'RE NOT SURE WHAT WE ARE DOING BUT WE ARE DOING IT SO HARD!"

ME: Yeah, but at least that book had MAGIC in it...

YOU: And book 3 was just your main character with anger issues getting repeatedly beaten up...

ME: Well... yes, but...

YOU: So like... why are you bothering having a quest now? Isn't that a little late for a quest after three questless books?

ME: BEGONE WITH THY CRITICISM. THIS BOOK HAS A QUEST.

...anyway.

(My coffee tastes like ketchup for some reason, so today we are feeling FEISTY.)

So now our trusty hero needs to have companions to help him out, because this is totally a generic fantasy novel and everything is fine.

Anyway, here is how the quest is introduced... with blatant spoilers ahead, haha.

Spoiler! :
Cyrus wrapped his blanket around his shoulders. "Now what?"

Adelore shrugged. "It depends on what you would like to do, Cyrus."

"What I would like to do?" Cyrus asked skeptically.

Adelore fixed his eyes on Cyrus. "You once gave the Lady three paths. Now I will give you three paths to choose from."

If you are internally screaming, "OMG FIRST BOOOOOOOOOOOK REFERENCE WITH A FOURTH BOOK TWIST!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!!!!!"

...you would be right.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:31 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

I wrote words 905 words yesterday, for a total of 18025 words.

...I was lazy yesterday, hahah. No good reason, sorrynotsorry.

Favorite quote, though for dumb reasons... I realized that I would like to give my character a smartphone, but like... there are no smartphones here. SO MAGICAL MAP. xD

Spoiler! :
“It’s a magical map,” Adelore explained quickly. “It shows you where you are, tells you what the weather will be like, and gives you instructions on how to get out of a particular situation, if you’re ever in a strange situation.”

This, of course, amuses me to no end. This story is mostly about a blood feud, so like... there's not a huge amount of magic in the story, except for the occasional magic that usually involves someone either getting disastrously hurt or miraculously healed. So the fact that there is an extraneous magic item that exists to be a quasi smartphone is HILARIOUS to me.

(Also, our smartphones are MAGICAL, lol.)

...I might change this later, but right now it amuses me so I am keeping it, haha.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:58 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

So the fact that there is an extraneous magic item that exists to be a quasi smartphone is HILARIOUS to me.

omg, that is amazing XDD Smartphones really are like little magic boxes, though...
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:15 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

They really are magical boxes! Even the map isn't going to be as magical as our smartphones because that would be over-powered, lol. WE ARE POWERFUL.

Anyway, I wrote 2014 words yesterday for a total of 20039 words.

...so yesterday I did actually make word count, but I mostly did that by filling in some of the scenes that I had previously skipped for indiscernible reasons that I honestly couldn't tell you, lol. (Probably because I grew tired of writing them and wanted to move onto something better, haha.)

Anyway, I've decided to give my MC4 a canine phobia, which honestly is hilarious because MC3 looooooves canines of all varieties, so this has a potential to cause problems, lol. Anyway:

Spoiler! :
And, as he realized that he was helpless, a new fear came to him: wolves. As a child, he had always been terrified of wolves. They were intelligent and silent and he was continually afraid of them ganging up on him and attacking him while he was out hunting as a boy. There were several times that he had been tracked and surrounded several times by wolves. Then he would cut his hand so that his blood dripped down to the ground and call upon his ancestors for help. Then the wolves would smell his cursed blood and flee.

ALSO. The Big Misunderstanding of Book 3 is also a Huge Misunderstanding of Book 4. And I solidified that with an edit, so like... this is going to cause massive problems, lol.

ANYWAY.

Off to write!

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:40 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

OH NO.

I AM AT 20476 WORDS WRITTEN.

I HAVE JUST SAT DOWN TO THE COMPUTER TO WRITE TODAY.

IT IS ALMOST 11 O'CLOCK.

AHHHHHHHH WE ARE DOOMED WE ARE DOOMED WE ARE

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:08 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

My... laptop died again. It's acting very dead, as if there is some sort of catastrophic memory/ hard drive issue. >.> SO. DESKTOP.

I panic-wrote up to 21820 words yesterday, so...we're a day behind instead of two days, lol. I decided to speed through the scene in which the hero is summoned and go to the action scene instead, lol. All of it is terrible, but amusing, so no spoiler... well... maybe this bit, lol.

Spoiler! :
Then he looked around him. On the bed next to him, there were two neat envelopes, both with large things in it. He took the largest envelope and tore it open – there was the map that Adelore promised. On it, it said, “Step 1: Find the Lady.” Then there was a picture of a cabin with the words, "You are here!" scrawled on it hastily, along with a quick map to the Lady's house.

SMART PHONE. I mean, map... yes, a map.

...also.

Spoiler! :
realized that my main character has no proper winter clothes? WHOOPS. And the only way he can get it is by stealing??? FROM A CORPSE????? Oh gosh... this is a terrible book. XD

Anyway, I am going to write this hilariously awkward scene...

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:58 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

I HAVE JUST SAT DOWN TO THE COMPUTER TO WRITE TODAY.

IT IS ALMOST 11 O'CLOCK.

AHHHHHHHH WE ARE DOOMED WE ARE DOOMED WE ARE

BIG NANO MOOD.

You're doing awesome Snoink!! Happy halfway point :)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:04 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Hahaha, omg I love/hate Nano. Most of what I've written for my story is terrible and probably won't stay in the next version, BUT. It's helping me understand my characters motives, so at least there is that???

*whimpers*

ANYWAY. In an awesome comeback story of the year, we went from being pretty much two days behind to MEETING WORD COUNT.

YES.

I HIT THE 25K POINT.

YES. We ended the day at 25018 words!!!

I am excited.

This is the hilarious part because there are so many dumb misunderstandings since two characters are still getting to know each other since they JUST MET. And it's hilarious because before they meet, the MC is talking with the god character, who has PLANS for the MC and a companion for him, and the MC is like, "UM. You're pairing me with a SHE? This better not be my love interest." And the god of the story is like, "DON'T WORRY. SHE'S NOT YOUR TYPE." And the MC is like suuuuuuure. And then he meets her and OMG SHE IS NOT HIS TYPE AT ALL. Which -- trust me! -- is hilarious, haha.

And also, they have an... odd dynamic? I didn't quite foresee this, haha. By the end of the story, they are close, but like... at the beginning, she is VERY sassy in a somewhat playful way and he is just... not accustomed to dealing with that sort of sass and just. There's a lot of dumb misunderstandings that I didn't foresee, and that's before the Big Misunderstanding that I planned, and it's just making this whole thing hilarious to write because I haven't even GOTTEN to the big misunderstanding yet, but it's setting itself up perfectly already, without me even trying, just because the two characters are just... a disaster. But in a hilarious way. Honestly, I hope that it's just as hilarious to read, except that it's all terrible and very nano-y, haha.

Anyway, this was my favorite part to write -- and do I need to mention that there are very blatant spoilers? xD

Spoiler! :
“It might be difficult to convince the Lady to come with us on our adventure,” Cyrus said carefully. “She might be upset to come with us. And nobody in her house likes me. So I need to sneak into her house without anybody noticing my presence. Then I need to find the Lady and somehow persuade her to come with us.”

“And if she doesn’t want to come with us?” Cynasi asked, frowning.

“She’ll have to come with us,” Cyrus said.

Cynasi suddenly scowled. “Why, it sounds like you want to kidnap her! You aren’t planning on kidnapping the Lady, are you?”

Cyrus felt his cheeks grow pink. But he stood even taller, just as he once did a long time ago when he had commanded his Black Swans and trained them as an army. “Diamea said that you would be willing to do anything for me. And you just said the same right now. Are you going back on your promise?”

“Well, no, but—” Suddenly Cynasi clicked her beak impatiently. “I suppose Diamea did warn me that you might ask me to do odd things,” she said, eyeing him with distaste. Then she sighed. “Well, I suppose if we must, we can kidnap the Lady, we must! Though, I think you’re silly for not asking her first. She might be thrilled with the possibility of going off on a new adventure.”

“I won’t try to kidnap the Lady,” Cyrus promised. “I only wanted to warn you that things might be more difficult than you think they might be."

Cynasi snorted. “They usually are.”

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:26 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

27275 words! <--- I wrote that this on day 17 and forgot to post it, lol.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:17 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Um... today we're starting at 27588 words. NOT GOOD. I was exhausted from staying up all night with ze baby and didn't want to write, and I will pay for this later, haha.

We seriously need to move out of the Lady's house and go to the adventure, lol. More characters need to die! Or be destroyed. Either way...

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:13 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

...okay, I am on vacation, so eep, but I'm only a day behind, so that's the good news! Yay? Currently at 36,377 words... and writing.

It's all awful, lol. They are in the snow. It is cold. They are not prepared. The White Swan is concerned. Did I mention that it was cold? Lots of whining, omg. And repetition. Probably will cut most of this out later in the edit. XD

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:33 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

We are currently at... 38722 words??? WHICH MEANS WE ARE DOOMED. But maybe not??? I *might* be able to eke out 2750 words a day.

SHALL I TRY????

*writes*

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:22 pm
View Likes
Spearmint says...

TRY YES YOU GOT THIS SNOINK!! =DD
(but even if you don't-- 38722 is very impressive!!)
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:36 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

...we are starting the day with 42121 words.

So there is hope.

Vague, tenuous hope.

Yesterday, something strange happened? I kind of realized that the feminine clothes that my dude character was wearing, since he stole them from a dead woman, would make things... really awkward... so that propelled a lot of the story, haha. It's funny how the little things can impact the story so much.

Apparently, Reint -- who only appeared briefly as a minor character in the second book, had a slightly bigger role in the third book -- wants an even bigger role in the fourth book, so THAT'S GOING TO BE TODAY. At least his first appearance. He gets to show up next time too. But OH MAN. It's going to be awkward...

Anyway, my laptop has died about ten times today. It started behaving better when I added a new laptop to my Amazon wishlist... let's hope that's all the impetus it needs to live... today...

Is anyone else desperately waiting to see themselves in the quote gen?
— TheCursedCat