z

Young Writers Society

NaNo 2022: Garden of Zombies

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:23 am
View Likes
AceassinOfTheMoon says...

Twenty years ago, the first zombie popped up from their grave. A year later, hordes of them wandered the earth.
A few months after that, people discovered how to neutralize them.
Zombies are attracted to bad smells, so people began planting flowers in abundance around their cities to keep them away (and then immediately began work on a cure for pollen allergies).
Then, someone discovered that planting flowers on a zombie made them docile and kept them from decaying, and thus the position of Gardener was born. Gardeners collect flocks of zombies by planting flowers on them and travelling from city to city collecting the recently dead. Being a Gardener is a highly respected profession-- but a dangerous one. Part of their responsibilities are searching for wild zombies and taming them, which has gotten many a Gardener killed.
Melinöe Kairakou is a Gardener and has been ever since her older sister, Makaria, died seven years ago. She has a good life of wandering around the ruins of the old world, taming zombies and taking care of her little flock. Recently, though, she's heard a rumour: somewhere out there is a flower that, if planted on a zombie, will bring them back to some semblance of sentience.
Melinöe doesn't know if it's true. It sounds too fantastical to be real. However, she's willing to travel to the furthest corners of the earth for a chance to get her sister back.
Even if it's only a quiet shadow of who Makaria used to be, Melinöe would do anything to get her sister back.
this is Ace erasure and I won't stand for it— silv

I haven't really said anything about ace but that's cause I'm usually speechless with how awesome ace is— Harry

Ace, you’re aggressively loved. Accept or perish.— Wist

[Ace]
[she/they/xe]

13 Reviews

Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:27 am
View Likes

Melinöe

Makaria

I haven't really said anything about ace but that's cause I'm usually speechless with how awesome ace is— Harry

[Ace]
[she/they/xe]

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:35 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

This is such a cool take on zombies!! I'm very here for this and I love the aesthetics. Good luck this NaNo! <3
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

13 Reviews

Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:03 am
View Likes

Day 1 complete!

794/50000

Favourite line: Melinoë always liked it when it rained. It meant she didn't have to water the zombies.

[Ace]
[she/they/xe]

1162 Reviews

Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:32 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Melinoë always liked it when it rained. It meant she didn't have to water the zombies.

obsessed.

Ask a Therapist!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

13 Reviews

Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:38 am
View Likes

Day 2 complete!

Today's WC: 565

Total WC: 1359/50000

Favourite line: Makaria made a soft purring noise of pleasure that meant she understood Melinoë was happy with her, and she raised her other hand in the same gesture, looking for another smile.

we're moving slowly but surely and hopefully I'll be able to catch up to where I want to be when I feel better (and stop procrastinating until like an hour before midnight XD)

[Ace]
[she/they/xe]

13 Reviews

Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:51 am
View Likes

Day 3 complete!

Today's WC: 3843

Total WC: 5202/50000

Favourite line: “It’s been so long since anyone loved you, huh, sweetheart?” she asked Cosima softly. The zombie moaned softly, and Melinoë handed them another chunk of meat. “There you are. We’ll get you all fed up. How long has it been since you ate?”

FINALLY some decent WC. we're finally on track, baby

[Ace]
[she/they/xe]

13 Reviews

Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:03 am
View Likes

Day 4 complete!

Today's WC: 1724

Total WC: 6926/50000

Favourite line: “You chose beautiful flowers for her body. They’ll keep her safe.”

[Ace]
[she/they/xe]

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:15 pm
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Melinoë always liked it when it rained. It meant she didn't have to water the zombies.

ohhh I absolutely love this line!! (please tell me it's the first line of your novel. 10/10 hook =P)

woo-hoo, you got this, Ace!! =D
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

13 Reviews

Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:38 am
View Likes

Day 5 complete!

Today's WC: 1497

Total WC: 8423/50000

Favourite line: Melinoë had no idea who or what a Carile was, but Anastasi seemed incensed enough about it that she just nodded, not wanting to irritate the woman further. Obviously, she was very passionate about her clothing.
(Carile is a fictional clothing brand in this world lol)

thanks to everyone's who's commented on my thread so far! I know I haven't responded to y'all but I am awkward about doing that so :') thank you though, I appreciate the support!!

[Ace]
[she/they/xe]

13 Reviews

Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:27 am
View Likes

Day 6 complete!

Today's WC: 1714

Total WC: 10137/50000

Favourite line: They were beautiful, strange creatures, perfectly preserved husks of who they’d once been, filled with a different and gorgeous kind of life. Sometimes, they seemed more alive to Melinoë than living people did.

10k babyyyy

[Ace]
[she/they/xe]

13 Reviews

Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:51 am
View Likes

Day 7 complete!

Today's WC: 392

Total WC: 10529/50000

Favourite line: Either way, the thought of having all that space to herself made her feel like some sort of princess, like the ones from the fairy tales her mother used to read to her.

the words did not word today.

[Ace]
[she/they/xe]

1162 Reviews

Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:33 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

the words did not word today.

a mood.

Congrats on 10k!!

Ask a Therapist!

13 Reviews

Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:21 am
View Likes

Day 8 complete!

Today's WC: 1292

Total WC: 11821/50000

Favourite line: Someone, somewhere out there, had watched a loved one fall and tried to give them a proper burial, burying their body in the garden before it could rise. When the zombie finally clawed its way out of the grave, it was covered in blooming flowers and seemed to have no appetite for human flesh anymore.

the words worded good until they stopped wording. the joys of being stressed, exhausted, and AFAB at a certain time of the month

[Ace]
[she/they/xe]

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:03 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

That last favourite line share is particularly intriguing! Great work on making it through day 9!
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

Remember, a stranger once told you that the breeze here is something worth writing poems about.
— Shinji Moon