Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:35 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

DAY 7
Today: 58
Total: 15987
NaNo total: 5166

One little line:

I needed a lot of recovery time after work today and then didn't really have it in me to make any real progress. But I always aim to write something every day of NaNo, so here we are! Tomorrow is deep tissue massage day which will fix all my problems and then I WILL FINISH CHAPTER 7.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:26 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

DAY 8
Today: 1600
Total: 17400
NaNo total: 6766

One little line: "One less than horrible afternoon together didn’t mean we were destined to be friends."

A few weeks ago when I was petting Hayley the bunny she supplied me with a good first line to this book. Today when I was petting Hayley the bunny she supplied me with a way to raise the stakes in this chapter, and I think that was part of the problem with why I was struggling to get through this chapter - it needed a little more oomph!

Also, my massage today did in fact solve all of my problems and I finished ch. 7. Compared to the last few chapters, this one had almost entirely new material and I was only able to recycle a few tiny little pieces. One scene left in act 1 (and it will also be almost entirely new material).

for reference:
Spoiler! :

Code: Select all
[size=150][b][color=teal]DAY 1[/color][/b][/size]
[b]Today:[/b]
[b]Total:[/b]
[b]NaNo total:[/b]

[b]One little line:[/b]

Ask a Therapist!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

1162 Reviews

Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:09 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

DAY 9
Today: 95
Total: 17502
NaNo total: 6861

One little line:

Lol at me having a decent writing day and then having zero motivation the next.

I also started working on my query letter today! The bulk of a query pitch comes from the first act of a book, so since I finally finished the first act today I thought I'd take a stab at it. Three query letter paragraphs are literally harder to write than an entire novel. It's 2/3ish of the way done.

Ask a Therapist!

415 Reviews

Reviews: 415
Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:37 pm
View Likes
keystrings says...

I love every mention of Hayley the bunny c:

and good luck on the query letter! I love looking at Query Shark but I've never had to write a query -- those truly look scary.
name: key/string/perks
pronouns: she/her/hers and they/them/theirs

novel: the clocktower (camp nano apr 24)
poetry: the beauty of the untold (napo 2024)

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:39 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

LOL. Nanowrimo: the one thing that causes us to actually cause us to write query letters, since we want to procrastinate on Nano. XD

GO CARLITO!!! <3
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1162 Reviews

Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:47 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

DAY 10
Today: 1272
Total: 18676
NaNo total: 8133

One little line: “You do know compromising means you’re not going to get exactly your way, right?”

I'M FINALLY DONE WITH ACT ONE.
Was today's chapter my most beautiful prose ever? lol far from it.
I started at 10:30pm and finished at 11:40pm and I'm super tired, so I'm shocked that I actually finished writing a new scene tonight with almost no recycled bits.

Tomorrow I get to read through act one to make sure I like it! (I love going back and reading through what I've done). Then I'll finish planning the first few scenes of act two and hopefully get started on act two. I'm behind where I wanted to be at this point in the month, but that's fine.

Word count wise, I'm right around where I wanted to be at the end of act one which I'm happy about. I wanted to be at 20k, but this gives me a little room to play in my next round of edits :)

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:59 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

DAY 11
Today: 29
Total: 27777
NaNo total: 8156

One little line:

Look at that magic! I only wrote one sentence today and yet my total word count shot up by almost 10k! lol

I actually did quite a bit today. I read through all of act one to make sure it's working as a whole, and I liked it!

I finished planning the first two scenes of act two and started planning several more. Part of that planning was plopping stuff from the old draft that could work in this current draft (which is why the word count shot up so much). We're back to fake word count time!

The next two scenes will likely have a lot of recycled bits, so my hope is to do both of them tomorrow :)

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:32 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

DAY 12
Today: 793
Total: 28196
NaNo total: 8949

One little line: “What exactly have you been right about lately?”

lol so I intended to write a lot of the day and finish two scenes and ended up doing half of one scene. It's still funny to me when I have scenes (like this one) that a lot could be recycled from the last draft, how little I'm actually recycling!!

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:55 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

DAY 13
Today: 394
Total: 28394
NaNo total: 9342

One little line: "You know I love this place, but sometimes it’s like an anchor around my neck pulling me down."

I knew today wouldn't be a big writing day because we had a family Thanksgiving this afternoon and I had to prep in the morning. Then all that good Thanksgiving food made me sleepy and i had to play sims for a minute.

BUT I am thisclose to finishing the scene I started yesterday.

At this point I highly doubt I'll be finishing my developmental edits this month, and I'm okay with that! I'm still going to try to get as far as I can, but I'd rather go a bit slower and make something I'm happy with than rush through for the sake of hitting my nano goal :)

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:50 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

DAY 14 & 15
Today: 1318
Total: 28664
NaNo total: 10660

One little line: "Couldn’t let him get too confident now."

Today's word count also includes yesterday because yesterday I was so tired after work I only wrote one little sentence :)

BUT TODAY WE FINALLY HAD SOME REAL FORWARD MOMENTUM!!
*finished chapter 9 (the one that I'd been slowly chipping away at for the last three days). Ended up using a lot less of the old draft than I thought I would!
*also finished chapter 10. I was able to recycle a lot of the old draft for this scene.
*finished plotting the next three scenes

The next scene is brand new! I'm really excited about the two after that one. (chapter 13 specifically is one of my favorite scenes) so I'm super excited to get there soon :)

Still very pleased overall with my progress and the direction my revision has gone!!

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:38 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

DAY 16, 17, & 18
Today: 1630
Total: 29021
NaNo total: 12290

One little line: " A rabbit binky — the ultimate level of excitement — was pretty much the cutest thing they ever did."
^facts.

Over the last couple of days I...
*finished the brand new scene! (I actually ended up putting one little recycled line in there but everything else was new)
*blobbed two scenes together into one chapter
*started working on the next scene (which has a lot of recycled bits and i probably could've finished it today but it wasn't working so i decided to come into it with fresh eyes tomorrow)

One of my favorite scenes is up next!! (now it's chapter 12). So I hope to finish both ch. 11 & 12 tomorrow :)

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:10 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

DAY 19
Today: 1384
Total: 29632
NaNo total: 13674

One little line: "There’s a reason we have to resort to being fake friends now."

Finished chapter 11!! Yet again, ended up recycling a lot less than I thought I would and about 3/4 of this scene is completely re-written. Today was definitely not my highest quality writing and there are a lot of things like [reaction] and [face] to add in later. Lol that's what the next edit pass is for!

(next scene is the one when the MC first realizes the LI is attractive and she's like uh oh what do I do and that's why it's one of my favorites!!)

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:42 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

DAY 20
Today: 1041
Total: 29088
NaNo total: 14715

One little line:
The whole thing was giving mid-2000s dresses over jeans vibes (never recovered after I saw proof my own mom had fallen victim to this tragedy).

I worked on over 2000 words today but only about half ended up being new words! I'm almost finished with ch. 12 - which as I've been saying is a chapter I really love because the MC is realizing uh oh the LI is attractive what do I do?? and I love that for her.

In case you're wondering - wait carlito, isn't this a romantic comedy?? the MC doesn't realize the LI is attractive until chapter 12??? what have they been doing up until now????
<3 SLOW BURN 4 LIFE <3

Goal tomorrow is to finish ch. 12 and plan some more scenes because I've run out of those. I'm pretty sure I know what the midpoint is, but I'm a little fuzzy on what all needs to happen before we get there.

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:34 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

DAY 21 - 23
Today: 213
Total: 34144
NaNo total: 14928

One little line:

The last few days of work have been super busy, so I'm still working on ch. 12. But I also started planning a few more scenes AND finished writing my query letter. I'm super happy with my query as of now, but I'm sure it'll change as I get feedback on it :)

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:18 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

DAY 24
let the NaNo Hail Mary Writing Weekend commence!!

Today: 2709
Total: 36284 (back to fake word count time)
NaNo total: 17634

One little line: “Tarantulas shouldn’t be for anyone.”
^facts

It's Thanksgiving Day in the US, but husband and I spent the last two weekends doing Thanksgivings, so we're doing NOTHING today!! I got 10 1/2 hours of sleep. I'm in my introvert cave. I have very few things I need to do outside of my house for the next four days. I've been looking forward to this all month. LET'S WRITE.

Today I:
*finally finished ch. 12
*finished plotting the next five scenes
*wrote ch. 13 (a brand new chapter)
*started ch. 14 (a mostly recycled chapter that will probably end up less recycled then I think)
*played Sims for 0 hours

Pleased with today!

Ask a Therapist!

I'm not so good with the advice... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?
— Chandler Bing