z

Young Writers Society

[NaNo 2021] The Players

659 Reviews

Reviews: 659
Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:03 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

So I was in the middle of my first project, Flashes Before Your Eyes, when I suddenly got the idea for this one. And in that moment I got so excited, that I wrote out the entire first chapter in an hour. And I love what I have so far.

So basically, The Players, is my first attempt at sci-fi, action, adventure and thriller. It is kind of inspired by Lost and The Hunger Games, and you could call it a fanfiction except that the plot and the characters are mine, but the setting is the same. I can already see that this is going to be a complicated idea to explain. But I had so much fun writing the first chapter, that I am going to give this a shot anyways.

The Players

A group of strangers wake up on a deserted island in the middle of an airplane wreckage with no memory of ever getting on the plane. All they remember are their entire lives, but with certain clots of memory missing, like who sent them there and why.
We follow Sara Williams as she stumbles out of the jungle and recognizes exactly where she is - the island from a TV show she used to be obsessed about as a kid. She knows exactly what is going to happen and exactly when it is going to happen, and that makes her the most dangerous person on the island. How long will she be able to conceal her knowledge? How long will she be able to protect herself?

But most importantly, why are they there? And how do they get out?

(Its a crazy idea I know, but I am already excited about this story!)
Last edited by RandomTalks on Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.”

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:33 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

I am not very sure how I am going to mark my progress considering that it is my second project for the month. Anyways...

Day 1(should it be 1 or 9?): Okay, so I got so excited with this project that I just went on writing. Its going to be really difficult to give an update of what has happened so far.

-The people wake up on the beach with no memory of how they got there.
-There is a crashed plane on the beach, but no one was ever on it.
- A mysterious being in the jungle tears down several trees at night.
- They decide to trek up to the valley where they saw smoke.
- Inside the broken section of the plane on the beach, they find luggage with their names on it. It doesn't belong to them.
- Someone is playing games with them.

We meet Sara and follow her as she tries to understand this new reality she has woken up to. As some things start to appear extremely familiar, she starts to catch on with what is really going on. Unfortunately none of the other people on the beach seem to have any idea. So she is caught between whether to tell them and come clean or to ride it out and see what happens. She knows that if she tells the truth, no one would believe her. And even if she did, they would ask her questions she didn't know the answers to. So she stays silent.
In the next chapter, we follow Will. He is the kind of man who has it all lined up and sorted in his brain. He calms down everyone, treats their wounds and is annoyed when they come to him for assurance. He is currently on a trek to the valley to find the cockpit of the plane, when he starts to wonder about Sara and her sudden interest in hiking through the jungle.
We also meet other characters including Daniel, Skyler, Ted and Ryan.

Word Count: 9831 (I know!)

Favorite excerpt(s): I am going to include three, because honestly, I have written a lot, and I might just have to sleep the entire day tomorrow!

Spoiler! :
The sun was nearing the horizon. Back at home, sunsets had been marked by the gradual change of color outside her window and she would not realize nightfall until the light in her room would be dimmed to nothing and she would have to get up to switch on the lights.
Here on the island, sunsets were magnificent. The sky was streaked with different shades of purple, orange, pink and yellow; their soft hues formed a blanket of peace and calm that enveloped the island in its warmth. The sun was a single ball of bright orange, bigger than it had ever been in the city.
A part of her wanted to wait and see what would happen when it touched the horizon in the distance. Would it sink into the ocean or melt little by little into magnificent blue waters? Would she feel the sun when another wave eventually crashed at her feet and then rolled back out to the ocean?

Spoiler! :
But then what was this? Where was she? And what was going on?
The wind howled across the almost silent beach, and she wondered if the island cared about these questions. Did it matter why all this was happening to them? All they had to do was survive, and she thought it would be easier if she was just another person on the beach whose life had been turned upside down in one morning. But knowing what she did, made everything a thousand times worse. She did not know what to do, she did not know how any of it was possible. She wanted to believe that she was going insane but she was tired of playing make-believe with reality.
Maybe she should tell Will everything she knew? But who would believe her? They would only ask her more questions she wouldn't be able to give the answers to. They would want to know and she wouldn't be able to tell. At least, right now they trusted her, thought her to be one of their own.
She rolled the thought around in her head.
Was she? One of them?
Settling down against a tree in the back corner of the beach, she realized that she wanted it. She wanted to be one of them.
And it was better than being alone.

Spoiler! :
Will took in a deep breath and ran his hands through his hair.
"Why would my name be written on the bag? Its not even mine!" His voice had risen an octave and he tried to calm himself down.
"Oh, its not just your name," Daniel bent down to pick up a smaller suitcase, "This one has got mine. All of them have a name written at the bottom."
Will shook his head, "What does this mean?"
"I am not sure. But one thing is very clear," Daniel looked at him in the eye, and Will finished his sentence for him.
"Someone's playing a game with us."
“Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.”

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:31 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Day 2 or 10: The story moves along nicely. I did have some trouble with the action scenes as I have never really written any before. Also there was that really confusing encounter with the pilot that only Sara seemed to understand. I got stuck there for a little while, and it took me a while to get back into it again. But then we have a really nice face-off between Sara and James. And well, it was interesting to write that one.

Word Count: 5079

NaNo Word Count: 25,780

Favorite out of context quote of the day:

She shook her head in disbelief. All this for that. "Seriously? What are you? Sixth graders?" she asked looking back at Ryan, "Just give it back to him."

Favorite excerpts: There's two, because I just can't help myself!

Spoiler! :
She bit back on the hand on her mouth in frustration. It was still there, right on the other side of those vines waiting for her to make one wrong move, one small mistake that was going to cost her life. But she was Sara Willis, and if anything, she was stubborn as hell. When life pushed her hard, she pushed it right back. And she wouldn't give up. Not now.
She closed her eyes and counted to five, just like Jack had taught her.
One.
Two.
Three.
Four.
Five.
And when she opened them again, there was only silence surrounding her.
It was gone.

[Warning: Language]

Spoiler! :
"I thought he was going to hunt me down and beat me to a pulp," Ryan squeaked out.
"Well, you got that right, you son of a bitch!"
"James," she warned, "You are not going to touch him."
He looked at her again, his blonde hair blowing into his face with the wind. Well, it seemed that she had caught his attention again.
"Why, again, am I going to do that?" his voice was a blend between curiosity and sarcasm.
She sighed, looking straight at him, "Because right now you have an advantage over us and you are not going to give it up for a pack of cigarettes. So tell me, what do you really want?"
He smirked and twisted his head back to look at her with interest, "You really are something else, you know?"
She rolled her eyes in impatience, "Save me the lines, James."
He laughed, "Well, since we are being direct, I want an extra bottle of water along with that tarp you people have set there by the plane."
She looked around at Will, caught by his eyes that were looking directly into hers with an intensity she did not understand. She blinked at him and cocked her head to the side, and only then did he understand the question she was silently asking him.
"Fine!" he groaned out, he seemed reluctant and relieved at the same time, so she tried not to wonder if she had overstepped her boundaries, "But he doesn't touch one hair on his head and doesn't pick on anyone else either."
She wanted to roll her eyes at the irritated warning in his demand, but turned to James instead, "Deal?"
Last edited by RandomTalks on Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:42 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Day 3 or 11: The plot progressed quite quickly than I had actually intended for it. I thought I was going to take a brake today, but I ended up really getting in the mood towards the evening. Anyways, Sara goes on a hike with the others. It goes out as expected except someone else notices her obvious lack of surprise at all the new developments (the someone being James, of course). On the beach, Will distributes the bags with Theodore. While looking through one of the bags for a torch, he finds something that turns his world upside down again.

There is some fun banter between Ryan and James as Sara tries to analyze the pilot's warning. We also get to meet some other characters, namely Janine and Jason.

Word Count: 4428

NaNo Word count: 30.208

Favorite quote:

His father always used to say that when trouble arrives, a man can only do one of the two things - sink into himself and ride it out, or take charge and do what needs to be done. There is a very large distinction between the two choices, but whichever you choose, sooner or later that choice comes to define you.

Favorite excerpt:

Spoiler! :
There was something about the silence up there that had attracted her to that spot as a child. The world used to look so small from there, the people, their houses and lives all reduced to the same blocks of color that seemed so insignificant to her in that moment. It amazed her sometimes that she came from that same mess of colors, that same jumble of blocks where her life and and dreams rested as well. It was so easy to think of herself as an outsider in that moment, looking at the world from her far away spot in some crook of existence.
But then her imagination would crumble with one sweep of the wind and she would be back on the tank in her terrace waiting for her mother to call her down.
Last edited by RandomTalks on Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:13 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Day 4 or 12: Today was an extremely interesting and yet stressful day for our characters. I got delayed a bit during writing because I was interrupted several times. But this was one of the most important scenes of the novel, and I think I am happy with what came out.

So first, we get an intense conversation between James and Sara, and through it we realize how similar these characters actually are.
We then experience the first death on the island, and it really throws Will off the wagon. He questions Sara on who she really is, and finally her secret is out. Now, we wait to see whether Will and Daniel decide to trust her or not.

Word count: 3225

NaNo Word Count: 33.433

"Funny isn't it? We are on a tropical island, and a girl gets eaten by a polar bear! And I have to believe it, because after everything that has happened, is that really so unlikely?"

Favorite excerpt: I really enjoy writing their scenes.

Spoiler! :
"What do you want James?" she asked with a sigh.
"You know, I have noticed some things about you. The careful way you say my name every time you speak to me, like you are worried if you don't pay enough attention, you might just say something else. And the way you looked at me at the beach yesterday, like you knew exactly what I was going to say," he smiled, "So, tell me, Sara, who do I remind you of?" He said it with an air of lightness that did not match with the curious gaze of his eyes as he followed her every movement.
"I don't know what you are talking about," she said, hoping he could not hear the frantic beating of her heart.
"Oh, I think you know exactly what I am talking about. But if you don't feel like a heart-to-heart, then that's okay. I figured you are the type to hold your secrets under lock and key."
She stopped in her tracks, pinning him with her gaze that seemed to have no effect on him whatsoever.
"Now what does that mean?"
He smirked, "You think I haven't noticed how you stay at the corner of the beach every night? Away from everyone and anyone who could cross paths with you? But, its not just because you don't trust the others, is it? You treat yourself like an outsider, because you believe you are one."
He said it like he believed it, and she knew there was nothing she could say that would change his mind.
"Is there anything you want to say to me James?" There was an angry bitterness in her voice that should have completely given her away.
He smiled, and there was something very careful and calculative about it that made her heart pick up again, "Just wanted you to know that you ain't the only one here with their eyes wide open. I see you too."

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:04 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Day 5 or 13: Today was a confusing day for the characters and for me as well. I believe I came up with some really solid scenes, I am only not very sure how much at the forefront they should be at the moment. I wanted to develop James and Sara's friendship to develop slowly and arguably, but the characters are so similar and different to each other, that I keep on adding more and more to their short conversations. And I am not sure if they know each other that well to have these kinds of philosophical discussions right now. Sure there is that vote of confidence you get when you are confiding to someone you don't know or care about much, but I just want it to flow in a way that is believable.

Also, I have a feeling that although Will and Sara are the main characters, James is assuming much more of a central role because I have suddenly become more invested in his character arc. I will have to balance that.

I think I am going to have to add more character perspectives now, because there is no way I will be able to cover everything from just Will and Sara's points of view. I will have to take up some of the extreme side characters maybe, so that I can show everything that is going on in the beach.

So, yes, I have got a lot to think about.

What happens in this chapter is -
Daniel and Will lose their trust in Sara after they find out the truth. They cuff her in her tent and take the time to discuss what they are going to do now. Meanwhile, Daniel finds the gun in James' bag, just like she said, and so they put him inside as well. Sara and James share a decent conversation for the first time, as a betrayed Will tries to decide what to do next.

Word Count: 4440

Novel Word Count( decided I would keep track of this as well): 27.003

NaNo Word Count: 37.873

Favorite out of context quote:

"Listen to me, I don't care if I have to fly back to the beach, but I am not spending my night here out in the open, where anything can come out from the trees and eat me alive!" he said.
James snorted, "Trust me, it would spit you right back."

Favorite excerpt: There were more serious and meaningful parts I could include in here, but this was the funniest. And I need a little funny right now.

Spoiler! :
She looked at him in confusion.
"Why are you here?" she asked with a raised eyebrow.
He sighed in resignation, "They found a gun in my bag."
Sara nodded in understanding. "And why are you here?" he asked, face scrunched in confusion.
She shrugged, raising her arms and flinching at the clink of metal, "They found cuffs in mine."
He stared at her for a long minute, trying to guess if she was joking. But then his eyes found her bound hand and a huge grin stretched across his face.
"Well, sweetheart, we sure do make a power couple."

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:43 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Day 6 or 14: A little late with the update, but I did not get much written today.
Basically we hear a glimpse of their discussion in this part.

I have been writing all morning though, so I will have ore to update on tonight.

Word Count: 1007

Novel word count: 28.010

NaNo word count: 38.880

Favorite quote of the day:

"We are where we are because of ourselves. We might have arrived there for different reasons, but the choice to stay is always our own."

Favorite Excerpt:

Spoiler! :
"I believe her," he said, and she looked at him in confusion at the clear amusement on his face. She wanted to ask him why he believed her, but she was afraid that he would change his mind if she so much as blinked.
Her gaze shifted to Will, and he was just looking at her. In that moment she got the furious urge to punch him in the face for all his reservations, but she also knew that doing that wouldn't put the cards in her favor. And her hands right now were empty.
Will finally nodded in resignation and she found hope at the determination on his face. She did not know what it meant.
"Okay, let's talk."
She raised an eyebrow, "And what were we doing until now?"
Will sighed, "Until now, we were busy pointing fingers at each other. But now, let's talk."
She nodded and took a deep breath in.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:47 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Day 7 or 15: I am happy that I finally got the chance to include the other characters. I have not yet started including their perspectives, but even having different people in the scene, involves them into the story and their reactions top our main characters become a study for us.

So what happens is: Sara tells Will and Daniel everything and they are finally ready to believe her. Will and Sara try to hold a conversation, but it turns sour quickly because of the recent developments and the secrets she has been keeping. He organizes a group to go look for water, and wonders whether or not they should tell the rest of them about Sara. Meanwhile, on the beach, Sara cannot sit still. Invited by Teddy to solve a 'sensitive problem' involving Skyler, she feels like a part of a group for the first time.

Word Count:3741

Novel Word count: 31.751

NaNo Word Count: 42.621

Favorite out of context quote for the day:

"You don't know anything about girls, do you?"
Teddy snorted, gesturing to himself, "Dude, I have been single for almost half a decade. What do you think?"

Favorite excerpt:

Spoiler! :
She swallowed, the conversation having taken a turn she had not expected, especially not with him, "I don't see what that has got to do with anything."
He smirked, "Oh, you see it very well. And considering how the tables have turned," he said, pointedly eyeing her hands, "I am wondering why you are still trying to protect our beach police out there."
She didn't answer him at first and simply watched him smirk at her, leaning back with his legs crossed out in front of him and looking like he belonged. But behind his nonchalant frontier, she could see his eyes watching her, observing her and calculating her every move.
She smiled, "I know what you are trying to do, James. You think that because I am in cuffs right now, you can get me to turn against them, that I am now going to join your stupid cause and make an enemy out of every person on the beach so that they know who is more superior. Well, guess what?" she said, pausing for the extra effect so that he truly understood, "I am not you."
He simply looked at her without any of the emotions she had expected to see on his face, "You are anyone but me, Giggles, I know that. But do you know what I think?" he asked, leaning in towards her and mimicking her earlier pause to carry the point across, "I think that no one can really get you to do anything." He smiled, " So whoever's put those cuffs in your bag, has got it very wrong if they think that is going to achieve anything."
She raised her eyebrows in genuine confusion, "You see, when you say it like that, it almost sounds like a compliment."
He let out a short bark of laughter, "It was, almost. But you go ahead and take it the way you want it. I don't give them out that often, anyways."
She rolled her eyes, "I suppose I should be honored then."
He grinned at her in amusement, "You should."

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:57 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Day 8 or 16: This was an interesting chapter to write. I did face some walls while writing, but I think it turned out pretty okay, considering there is some heavy stuff going on right now. We get our first flashback of Will in this chapter and we get a deeper understanding of Sara's character as she reminisces about her brother.

So what happens is: Will loses his calm when he finds himself lot in the jungle. He runs in circles and remembers his father in a short flashback. On the beach, we get some funny banter between Ryan and Teddy as Sara tries to fit inside a group for the first time. Pretty soon she feels the need to withdraw though, and finds greater understanding in someone very unexpected. It makes her realize that they might not be as different as she had initially thought.

Word Count: 4270

Novel Word count:36.021

NaNo Word count: 46.891

Favorite quote of the day: Teddy's advice to Ryan.

"Dude, everyone wants something or the other, whether its a car, a house, or the idea of a life you want to live one day. Wanting something makes us human. If we don't want anything, then we have no reason to wake up in the morning, and well, where would that get anyone?"

Favorite excerpt: An excerpt of Will's flashback.

Spoiler! :
He had cried that night, and his father had let him.
"You are not good at letting go, Will. You hold on to things long after they are gone, and the emptiness you find in your grasp when you eventually open your fist makes you go crazy with the need to fill it with something."
"You don't understand!" he had claimed between sips of his whiskey.
"I know you, son. I have watched you. Tell me, why did you feel like you had to propose to Susan tonight and not any other night in the past four years of your relationship? Why did you wait for so long if you know you love her and want to start a life with her?"
Through his drunken haze, his father's words had reached him and made him think. He knew why he had chosen that night to propose to her - he had been very aware of the increasing gap between them through the months and the proposal had been a desperate attempt to stitch that unending distance. In his mind, there had been no reason to not marry Susan - she was charming, beautiful, funny and smart. She was the woman for him and he had known that he was going to settle down with her one day. It felt like the right thing to do and didn't his father always tell him to follow his instincts?
But if his instincts had led him to marrying Susan, then why did he wait for so long? Why didn't he reach out to her when he felt their silence? Why didn't he try to fix it?
The questions had plagued his mind, but he had refused to see anything else that night.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:03 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Day 9 or 17: Today was a rather successful day. I did not think I would get as much written considering that I have school tomorrow. I really enjoyed writing Will's parts today.

So basically, we get a better glimpse into Will's psychology as he finds himself lost and alone in the jungle. Back at the beach, Sara tries to stay on the sidelines, but feels forced to intervene when the people start turning on each other. We also meet little Max and there is an interesting conversation with James.

Word Count:3974

Novel Word Count: 39.995

NaNo Word Count: 50.865 (I passed the 50k mark!)

Favorite quote of the day: Sara's speech to the camp.

"And stop hounding on him! He is just a man, for God's sake. If your hormones are high and you feel the need to punch something, then please, go into the jungle and break some wood or something - don't take it out on each other! We are all here, and we are all we have. So when you are done trying to blame each other for every little problem that comes up, you will realize that we can't survive here on our own. We need each other!"

Favorite excerpt: Will's state of mind as he tries to find his way to the beach.

Spoiler! :
He took in a deep breath. He wasn't ready to give up yet. When the sun went down, he would know that he was truly lost. Until then, he still had light, and he had direction. And he would not give up.
He stood up on his feet and felt the ache in his legs. The water he had carried on his back had now come down to the last few drops and his parched throat called out to it. He wiped the perspiration from his face and wondered how long he would survive out here on his own without food or water. The doctor in him could pin it down to the exact hour and minute, but he pressed all such thoughts down. He wasn't a doctor in that moment. He wasn't even Will. He was just a man who was lost and he was going to find his way back. After that he could take up all the titles he wanted, but right then in the middle of the jungle, stripped bare by fear and panic, he was no one.
He started running towards the light. It was getting darker now. It was as if someone had stolen all the color from the sky and concentrated it in a single line of gold near a horizon he could not see. The rest of the sky was a pale blank canvas with points of stars that were not very visible yet. He was losing time now.
He ran faster and harder and imagined that he was leaving the world behind. That he was moving away from the confusion, the terror and the fear and he was going home. It was a beautiful calm that enveloped him then and he thought about his life, his family and the people who had brought him here. He did not know where he was running any longer, he wasn't even sure if there was ground beneath his feet. His father always told him to let go and follow his instincts. Well, he was doing it now, he was following them and he was ready to accept wherever it led him.
He pushed his legs faster and felt his lungs protest. Very soon, he was going to run out of breath, and when he stopped, he wasn't very sure if he would be able to get up again. Images flew in front of his eyes, memories he had not thought about in years floating around his head like freed spirits - in that moment he knew he was close. Whatever it was he was heading towards, it was close.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:57 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Day 10 or 18: I am a little late with the updates. But to be honest, I did not write much that day.

Basically, in this part Will has an interesting conversation with Frank. He then returns to the beach and makes a decision that throws Sara's world off course.

Word Count:2369

Novel Word count: 42.364

NaNo Word count: 53.234

"I was lost Sara," he said slowly, "I couldn't find my way back."

Favorite excerpt:

Spoiler! :
Frank stepped over a large broken log and turned his torch towards his face. Will looked up at the light and tilted his head at him in question, "You think its a good idea to split up?"
"It doesn't matter what I think, Frank. Caves are natural shelters. There is water there and roofs over our heads. If anyone wants to move in there, who am I to stop them?"
Frank smiled, and in the glowing light, he almost looked like an apparition to him, "You are their leader, Will."
He stopped then, looking at him straight in the eye, "I am not a leader, Frank. I am a doctor."
Because that is what he was, and it felt necessary to remind the world around him sometimes. He was used to white walls, beeping monitors and blood on his gloved hands. That was what was normal for him.
"I don't really think that is a title you can choose. It chooses you and I think by this point it is fairly obvious that these people look to you for answers," Frank said in that gentle calm tone of his that was starting to aggravate him slightly.
"They are looking at the wrong person, then."
Frank smiled, "No, I don't think they are. And I hope you see it soon because these people, they depend on you, Will." And with that he turned around and walked on, leaving him standing there, hung in the middle of some thought that would never complete itself.
Sometimes, he felt burdened by the expectations that the world simply seemed to place on him without thinking twice. He never asked for this, he never asked these people to look to him for directions. Sometimes he wondered who he would be today if he had never followed any of the expectations that life had laid upon him. Would he even be him? Or would he have been someone else entirely? Someone better and happier?
Last edited by RandomTalks on Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:17 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Day 11 or 19: I faced several walls while writing this chapter and something tells me that it is not quite where I want to take it yet. The problem with this part is the different perspectives and the reactions. It is not possible to show all of them and I just wanted it to go very realistically.

What happens: Sara tells the camp the truth about the place and it does not go the way she expected.

Word Count: 2328

Novel Word count: 44.692

NaNo Word count: 55.562

He was tired of running. How far could he go anyways? He knew he was lost.

Favorite excerpt:

Spoiler! :
He saw her visibly disappear further and further inside herself as a loud commotion spread throughout the group, questions overlapping each other, voices rising and people getting more excited.
"Do you believe her?"
Somehow he heard that question over everything else, and it seemed that the rest of them heard it too, because suddenly there was an intense silence as everyone waited for him to answer. He looked at Sara but she had very carefully averted her eyes. Did he believe her?
"Yes, I do."
There was a collective gasp throughout the group as everyone looked at each other in disbelief.
"I told you how I found the water and how I knew there were boars in the jungle. She has been right about everything so far. And if anyone can get us out of here, my bet is on her."
He did not know where the sudden confidence in her came from, and from the stare she directed at him, neither did she. It was strange, in that moment he meant it. He knew that no matter how impossible it was, she knew things about this place that could save lives. And whoever she was, it did not matter as long as she was on their side.
"What if the two of you are in this together?"
He heard her scoff at the question, "And what would we want to achieve, James?"
"I don't know, you tell me."
She stared at the blonde incredulously, "I have told you everything I know. Now, whether you want to believe me or not, don't drag someone else into it. Will didn't know a single thing until I told him a day ago."
"Why didn't you tell us straight away that you knew what was going on?" someone else asked.
"Because she needed someone else to believer her first. If Doc here hadn't called this little meeting and broke it out to us first, we wouldn't have listened to her even if she had tried to tell us."
Will looked at the blonde strangely, confused about which side he was on. He saw the two of them share a look, and then Sara nodded, "He isn't wrong."

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:34 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Day 12 or 20: Again, did not get much done today. I think I am a little bit confused about how I want to proceed now that all the secrets are out in the open, but I guess, I will figure it out.

What happens: The camp interrogates Sara and she is forced to lie to Will again. Everyone is confused and there is a general sense of distrust in the air.

Word count: 1981

Novel word count: 46.673

NaNo word count: 57.543

"I am here as an insurance that you are not going to decapacitate anyone who comes within a ten feet radius of you."
She huffed a laugh, "And they chose you why? Because you are the most replaceable?"

Favorite excerpt:

Spoiler! :
Once the truth was out there, she knew there was no taking it back. But now that she had laid it all to them, she felt all those parts of herself where she had locked her secrets, bare themselves open to the world around her, filling the empty spaces with air, making her complete again. It was a terrible relief to stand without her knowledge dragging her down with its weight. It was theirs to share now, and they could do whatever they wanted, it still wouldn't replace the loneliness and fear she had been carrying around herself until then.
She was very aware of the fact that nothing would be the same again. That they would never look at her or talk to her the same way, but at the end of the day, she knew it did not matter as much to her. Se had grown up alone, she was used to fighting her own battles. Waking up on the island among all these new people had given her a fresh start; for the first time she had been able to escape the world she knew and form new relations with people who did not know her. It had been easy to pretend that she could go on playing make-believe with them, but she was who she was, and the truth was, she wasn't one of them. The things she knew would never allow her to be, and because she could accept it now, she was so at peace with the glances she kept getting every second.
Just like everything else in her life, she would get used to this.
She released a deep sigh and looked around at the group.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:00 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Day 13 or 21: Sometime I feel like I am the greatest improviser in the planet. I started writing today with no idea about what I was actually going to write. I introduced a new character and I started their conversation with my main character and from there, I went a long way. Like literally, a long way. I would pause for a moment, imagine the scene and then write again. It was strange writing this way, but I quite liked what I came up with today.

So what happens is: Sara shares a quiet conversation with Kaya, but things turn south when they lose track of time and return to the beach after dark. There is a fight in the camp that Will has to stop. Someone truly unexpected comes in defense of Sara and she gets more than she bargained for when she follows him into the night.

Word count: 3503

Novel Word count: 50.176

NaNo word count: 61.046

"If you just ignore the fact that we are in the middle of nowhere with no memory of how we got here, I think you can make a very fine experience out of it."

Favorite excerpt: The end of the chapter.

Spoiler! :
She smiled, and they continued on their way along the beach. She did not actually need him to walk her to her tent; she had only said that to keep him from storming away. She knew that he knew that though, and because he didn't say anything, she didn't either.
They reached her tent in silence, and she brought her torch from inside, handing it to him with a pointed look.
"I can build a fire. You will need it on your way back."
He took it from her, and raised his eyes in mock surprise, "It scares the shit out of me when you act all nice and considerate."
She resisted the urge to roll her eyes at him as he switched on the torch suddenly filling the place with light.
It took her eyes a second to adjust and when she looked back at him, she realized how comforting and private the dark was when it had enveloped them so completely until then, allowing them to actually bare their scars without caring about how hideous they looked. The light was almost intrusive after their walk along the beach, and she wished he would switch it off.
"I expect it back by tomorrow," she called out hoping it would cover for the moment she had lost simply adjusting to the sight of his face and not just his eyes.
He nodded, "Sleep tight," he said, heading for the slit in the tent, "And don't -"
"I won't," she said looking him straight in the eye.
He nodded at her tersely and left, slipping back into the night.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:40 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Day 14 or 22: It seems that I am destined to hit a wall every time I have a good day. It was a little difficult to shift back to Will, especially after so much has happened with Sara. I felt a little lost about how I was going to proceed with Wil again.

What happens: We have see the beach fight through Will's eyes. He talks to Neil and the man apologizes for the way he reacted. Finally when he thinks he can have the night to himself, he has an interesting conversation with James who has returned from Sara's camp.

Word count: 1572

Novel Word count: 51.748

NaNo Word Count: 62.618

Favorite quote:

It was like putting on someone else's skin over yours. No matter how hard you tried, it wouldn't fit and and there was nothing he could do about it.

Favorite excerpt:

Spoiler! :
Whenever he had faced any conflicts in his adult life, Will had either walked away or he had sat down with his thoughts and rationalized the hell out of the other person until they simply begged him to let it go.
His father always used to say the he had a solution for every conflict in the world, except for the ones he had with himself. Sometimes he thought that his father said these things for the sake of simply confusing him. But Will knew that his words had not been true that time. He still had the last two Christmas dinner invitations from home resting at the bottom of his kitchen bin to verify that.
However, from all his encounters with conflicts in life, he had realized one thing - you never get what you bargained for. In the heat of the moment, when you are high on adrenaline and the need to prove yourself right, you are bare and open to the world in a way you aren't when its your choice. You don't know what's going on, when someone says something the other person wasn't ready to hear, and then that's it. That's out there forever and you can't take it back.
Last edited by RandomTalks on Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

― Margaret Mitchell

We are great at fearing the wrong things.
— Hank Green