View Likes
mellifera says...

DAY TWENTY-TWO

Daily Word Count:

1,059/???

Total Word Count:

32,954/50,000

Snippet:

As she approached, Alkmaion hopped to his feet and met her halfway for a hug. Without any permission, he ducked out of the hug and lifted her up like a distressed maiden as she squawked. With some effort—she was short, but not that small, and she’d be offended if he hadn’t exerted himself—he lifted her partially into the air. “Soon to be our new councilwoman!” he shouted.

A cheer rose, people holding up their glasses and a few whistling. Celeste didn’t squirm only so that Alk didn’t dropped her. “Alkmaion!” she cried, indignant.

“To our Musician, Caelestis!” Hylas called, sending a ripple of her name through the crowd. As Alk gently lowered her to the ground, Hylas raised his glass towards her with a smile. “A voice toe everyone. You’re going to do great things, we can all feel it.”
She brushed herself off and turned to sock Alk in his solid mass of muscled shoulder. He grunted. She shook out her hand. “I haven’t even won yet.”

“Sure, but you will,” Pan said, throwing an arm around her.

DAY TWENTY-THREE

Daily Word Count:

2,481/1,828

Total Word Count:

37,858/50,000

Snippet:

Everything was going too fast, and she was only in the second round. Everything was flying right by her, she could end up leading the city by happenstance, or by influence, and she would never get a chance to catch her breath. She was running a race that didn’t have a foreseeable end, and she was terrified.

She was no leader. She was a good enough musician, she supposed, but that didn’t make her capable of leading a whole city, and having sway over major decisions that could raise Esparona or raze Esparona.

Thoughts:

Things I didn't know when I planned this novel: 1) everyone has fallen in love with and adores Celeste 2) Nadia has known Celeste almost a week and is already a total mess.

I feel like I wrote more than I really did because I fleshed out a whole section and added more to the plot (gave a certain subplot a reason to happen, etc etc). I didn't mean to make some characters, and I certainly didn't mean to make them so lovable (to me), so now I actually have to add reasons to why they would make certain decisions etc without them being like, garbage people. I mean, they are, but in a cute, raccoon way, not in a "these people have earned the equivalent of a moral death sentence" or something (not an actual example, I feel I have to specify).

I'm!! so excited for some of the later scenes!! I feel like I'm being TOO blatant about some things, and there are some gaping plot holes now because I developed stuff as I wrote instead of being a sane entity and plotting them out beforehand, but uh. first draft.

I have to catch up again, which...kinda sucks because I wrote so much today, but I guess that 600 words I didn't write yesterday have come right for my throat.

also someone please remind me that I should ALSO be playing my violin/piano and not just fantasising about it. (have started to sing again though!! my brain decided that My Jolly Sailor Bold is New Fixation)
I believe in a universe that doesn't care and people that do.

You and I, we are matter, and it matters.

they/them

351 Reviews

Reviews: 351
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:30 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

DAY TWENTY-FOUR

Daily Word Count:

2,170/1,735

Total Word Count:

40,028/50,000

Snippet:

Nadia had fallen in love with music as a child. The second person she’d ever crushed hard for had played a ballad for a legendary king and a bright concerto and that was all it had taken. Music opened gateways for her that even talking never had. To hear some play, or to let someone else hear her play, felt like an invitation to the soul.

Here, in the Legacy Proving, it felt like an invitation to rip hers apart.

Her palms had, thankfully, stopped bleeding, by the time the twenty-ninth musician had taken their seat. The arena fell silent, and Nadia had to remind herself to breathe. Inhale, exhale. Don’t falter, Dia, you’ll break your ankles and you’ll never dance again.

Thoughts:

today's revelation was that Nadia falls in love with people through music?? which now makes it justified that she's already like *heart eyes* at Celeste.

Also?? I don't know why?? but I keep writing character having panic attacks and another finding and comforting them??

anyway I have CAUGHT BACK UP let's see if I can keep this going now. 40k down babeyyyy

they/them

1485 Reviews

Reviews: 1485
Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:07 am
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

Spoiler! :
Also?? I don't know why?? but I keep writing character having panic attacks and another finding and comforting them??

:eyes: Felicity? Caspar? Is that you?

351 Reviews

Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:04 pm
mellifera says...

Spoiler! :
👀 yes exactly

they/them

351 Reviews

Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:28 pm
View Likes
mellifera says...

DAY TWENTY-FIVE

Daily Word Count:

2,111/1,662

Total Word Count:

42,139/50,000

Snippet:

However, in the corner of the room across from her, a sheathed and huge sword rested, tip pointing to the floor. Her stomach clenched and she stepped back instinctively. She had never seen a sword before, and certainly never one that was probably as tall, if not taller, than Angelos. The hilt was bejewelled, like a ceremonial dagger, and it glittered in the wink of sunlight that touched it.

“Ah.” She flinched as Asterion spoke, having completely forgotten her was there. He moved across the room, movements a little more stilted, and grabbed the sword. He dropped it beside his bed and slid it under the frame, out of sight. “I find myself apologising again, My Lady, and you’ve only been here a few minutes.”

She felt like she’d been caught doing something she ought not to have been doing. She forced herself to smile, though it felt like someone was pushing the sides of her mouth apart, stretching her skin across her teeth and cheekbones. “It’s quite all right. I’m unused to such…instruments.”

Thoughts:

in which Nadia has never seen a sword before and is properly scandalised to see one for the first time. also this chapter is a little spooky (in an,,, abstract way)? I love it.

anyway!! I came up with an idea to add little passages in the beginning last night (for secrets, ofc 👀). you know how?? books do that?? and they don't make sense for the longest time?? anyway yes I am stealing that, for Fun. I am pleased to report it's already going very well. I haven't decided if I want to do it in chronological order or mix them all up and let it be a puzzle, but I really don't have time to plan that out today, so right now they're mostly placeholders. but!! I'm still excited.

I WANT TO GET TO THE THIRD ACT ALREADY. I don't know what this means in terms of plotting because I didn't write them as acts like I did for Isle of Gold, but I still want to get there!! the really EXCITING stuff comes later!! hopefully I am,, kind of setting stuff up. We will see though.

HEY I'M AHEAD BY THE WAY LOOK AT THAT

they/them

351 Reviews

Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:37 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

DAY TWENTY-SIX

Daily Word Count:

1,312/1,572

Total Word Count:

43,451/50,000

Snippet:

She blinked. “Every Proving is different. Nikias often changes rounds in the divisions on a whim, and some are designated to his choice already.”

He hummed, not looking at her. The expression he wore was something of a painter first looking upon a canvas. “I saw the walls of historical art pieces dedicated to memorable events that happened during the Proving’s.” He met her gaze then, his narrowing slightly. “When was the last time a new instalment was added?”

Nadia frowned, opening her mouth, shutting it again. She sipped her tea, which was just hot enough to burn her tongue. “I can’t say that I remember.”

Asterion nodded and smiled. “Perhaps this is the year that the wall will be expanded upon.”

Thoughts:

hello have a niche meme that I made about this chapter:

anyway, Asterion is such a fun and unnecessarily unsettling character, we love a drama queen. me, I love him.

Technically, I wrote 2,315 words in this setting, but for Semantics reasons, I only wrote 1,312 on the 26th day because midnight. I got ideas!! and I got really excited!! so I wanted to keep writing, and I did, but that did then take time to do and I'm up a little later than I wanted to be. but!! the pieces are coming together, and I know what I want to do for the rest of this chapter as well as the next to start easing in some more plot before I get back to Round Three of the Legacy Proving! and then some THINGS are going to happen 👀

god, I can't wait for Round Six. so much is gonna go down.

AND ROUND SEVEN!! oh man.

I'm going to LOVE this later. I'm going to so grateful. A TREAT. 1k already DONE for the day.

they/them

351 Reviews

Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:21 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

DAY TWENTY-SEVEN

Daily Word Count:

2,019/1,637

Total Word Count:

45,470/50,000

Snippet:

"I have standards," Celeste said, shoving his mug back towards him. "Just because they’re not very high doesn’t mean they’re non-existent."

Alk grinned. "It’s way more fun if you don’t."

Pan finally allowed her another drink, but left to go watch the bartender pour it like some hovering, eagle mum. She exchanged kicks with Alk under the table, and tried to snuff her snickers whenever someone passed and gave them an odd look. She’d be happy to get into a scuffle with him right now, at least get the blood pumping, if only it meant that they wouldn’t be thrown in prison and the Legacy Proving nothing more than a wasted chance, turned to ash on the wind.

Thoughts:

I was correct! I spent to day without sparing a Worry to NaNo, and I got it done without stress later and still got 1k done, so clearly I'm winning today.

I downloaded the free trial of Scrivener today, partially because I've been meaning to try it out for a while, and partially because Word has begun to glitch and act out and be a general annoyance (likes to flash black like a strobe light?? super irritating and nothing has fixed it so far). I like the layout so far! It's going to take getting used to, especially because Scrivener doesn't?? know how to spell?? or how words work sometimes?? (my obscure names I understand, but spilled??? SPILLED?? SPILLED GETS THE RED SQUIGGLES???)

while I came up with some very very good plot ideas and know where I'm going, I realised I didn't actually have anything for Nadia's next chapter, so I got all done with Celeste's and have no where to go now.

This is a problem for Tomorrow Me to figure out.

they/them

351 Reviews

Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:08 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

DAY TWENTY-EIGHT

Daily Word Count:

1,632/1,510

Total Word Count:

47,102/50,000

Snippet:

Aunt Helena hummed, taking a thoughtful chew of her own baklava. "She certainly has a taste for the dramatic. Hopefully she’ll find herself leaving the tournament in one of the upcoming rounds. She’s from the outer rings of the city and she’s a worker in an enchanter’s factory. She’s not had a sliver of political or leadership experience."

Nadia took one of the cups of steaming tea and sipped it, letting the burning sensation drown out any stupid comments she could respond with. She let the honey wash it down, soothing the pain of the heat, and set it back on the saucer delicately. All she could think about was Celeste crouching next to her in the dark alley when she’d panicked after the second round, the overwhelming pressure of what she was doing hitting her like a battering ram. The callouses of Celeste’s hand as she had helped Nadia up. "If she doesn’t have the skill, Nikias wouldn’t let her advance, but even you have to admit that she has the talent to keep her going. I’ll be hard-pressed to win against competition like that." She was aware of Celeste’s apparent lack of political knowledge, but she hadn’t asked, and casual gossip couldn’t show for someone’s true accolades. What Celeste did or didn’t know was unknown to her. And besides, the Legacy Proving wasn’t about finding the best politicians, or it would be a very different competition. Celeste would get the training she needed if she won. "There is some very fierce competition this round."

Thoughts:

day two of Scrivener, I am enjoying it so far, although full screen mode has become an absolute pain and the text goes really slow and backspace glitches, but we'll see if it fixes itself or if I can figure it out.

I'm making this absolutely unnecessary chapter about Nadia and her family because I don't know what else to do. The plot is really not being advanced, but Nadia is having some Revelations so,,, let's pretend I'm doing something.

GOD I WANT TO ADVANCE PLOT THINGS UGH

they/them

351 Reviews

Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:35 am
View Likes
mellifera says...

DAY TWENTY-NINE

Daily Word Count:

2,356/1,449

Total Word Count:

49,467/50,000

Snippet:

"What heresy is this, Nadia?" Lagos interjected, eyes sharp. "The gods protect us. The Crafter himself promised that none shall touch Esparona while he watches over it, and those who do shall be smote down or cursed, to live either no life or a wretched one."

"While he watches over it," she repeated. "Lagos, when is the last time The Crafter himself attended Esparona? He’s a god, with more than one city. Our guardian angels can’t be watching us all the time."

Aunt Helen leaned forward now, a frown distorting her features. "And what do you suggest? We train warriors?" She took on a pale shade, her smooth, dark skin going a bit sickly. "You want barbarians like your gladiator consort?"

Nadia sighed. She hated talking about her own opinions or what she thought politics in the city. "No, of course not, and I’m not courting Asterion. The last thing I would want is violence to break through Esparona’s walls. I was answering Kyra’s question about Misalár and my own, unfounded fears."

Thoughts:

I got Nadia's chapter back on track! I made it plot relevant! I got to show some political intrigue and Nadia's insights and her skill on that!

And I decided! that I could do a plot thing! so I'm very excited! so I got to write some Fun Things today! my characters are learning things, plots has been set in motion 👀

they/them

351 Reviews

Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:36 pm
View Likes
mellifera says...

DAY THIRTY

Daily Word Count:

3,043/533

Total Word Count:

52,510/50,000

Snippet:

language warning for not Celeste this time!
"I’m not sure. I have this feeling that he wouldn’t be looking for me, but I…I can’t remember why." Aristaeus grunted. "I hate this. Do you realise how frustrating it is to know something happened, to know something is looming on the horizon that could mark disaster for your people, your home, and not being able to remember what or why? I only remember pieces. Some things will spark something, but it’s not a full memory. A moment of clarity, but as soon as I know it’s there, it’s gone. It’s vicious."
She sucked in a deep breath. The air smelled like cinnamon; the baker down the street was probably baking with his windows open. "I’m not curse-breaker, but there’s got to be some loop hole. Isn’t that a thing? I don’t know anything about curses. Don’t you have to put in a back door of sorts? For some…important reason?"

"I don’t know how curses work," Aristaeus said. "I could ask—" A pause. Then, softly, "Fuck."

"What? You could ask who?"

"I can’t remember. Someone important, someone who would know these things. Someone smart. They’ve been dancing on the edge of my mind since you woke me up. I know they’re there, I know they have something to do with it. There’s someone missing in my memories, blurred, more so than anything else. I’ve been trying to remember them, but it hurts to. I don’t know why. Maybe they’re the key to solving this."

"But you don’t know anything about them."

Aristaeus sighed.

Thoughts:

I did not need to go as hard as I did today, but I was feeling inspired FINALLY ofc at the end of the month.

ANYWAY BUT I FINISHED! and the important plot things are only now really kicking off, so at least I have that to look forward to, if not being done with this draft like most everyone else is, like normal writers. HOPEFULLY I'll finish in December. I don't see this as being a particularly long novel, I'm about halfway through the Legacy Proving and I'm trying to start pushing through it faster now because I will bore myself to tears if I keep describing every round.

Also that way the reader will know something is either Really Cool or Really Bad when I DO show the rounds again :)

they/them

Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.
— -Apple Inc.