Untitled Space Novel

142 Reviews

Reviews: 142
Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:08 pm
View Likes
looseleaf says...

Untitled Space Novel

Words So Far: 0/50,000

The year is 2137. Most of the world has recovered from WW4, and the countries that have are now thinking of even more ways to colonize other planets. Mars has been colonized, the moon has been colonized, it seems like every planet in the solar system that could be colonized is. So now it’s time to go even farther.

Briana had trained for this for years. She had lost friends, gone against her father’s wishes, and pushed herself to her limits, but here she is, about to be the youngest person to copilot the AP38 Spaceship with the Apus Crew. It’s an exciting but terrifying moment. The route they were to be taking had only been taken once before and that crew had never come back.

Twenty years before, a crew of eight astronauts went to explore the same area of space Briana’s crew is, but they never returned and all contact with their ship was lost. Multiple satellites and unmanned ships from Earth, Mars, and the Moon scoured the area looking for any sign of the Perseus Crew’s spacecraft, but no wreckage or human remains were ever found. Yet, somehow, in their searching for the Perseus Crew, the satellites and ships never noticed planets D2-R3 and D2-R13.

And now, as the Apus Crew nears the location of the Perseus Crew’s disappearance, something… unknown hits their spaceship and gashes a large hole in its side. It wasn’t on the radar, or visible out the windows, but it did leave the AP38 falling towards D2-R3’s surface.

Characters So Far (more to be added)
Spoiler! :
Briana Frazer
Jason Danvers
Eli Bankole
Natalia Tine
Keagon Hale
Zhang Gui
Monica Kopchick
Travis Johnson
Fadileh Kassem
Lev Novikoff
Joanne Kineton
Mathias Toby Bishop
Hope Johnson
Kingston Bishop
Layla Johnson
Last edited by looseleaf on Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:59 pm, edited 6 times in total.

142 Reviews

Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:38 pm
View Likes
looseleaf says...

These are two pictures I made leading up to posting this thread.

This is the spoiler I made on September 16th:Image

This is a picture on Briana, the main character, that I posted on September 20th! It isn't perfect (she has a large tattoo and the hair's a bit too long), but it's close enough:Image

I'll post some character profiles later!

142 Reviews

Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:07 pm
View Likes
looseleaf says...

First, I wrote this little excerpt that I will include somewhere in the novel:

“Your mother would be so proud,” Briana’s dad said, holding onto her shoulders and looking her in the eyes. A single tear rolled down his cheek.

“Thanks dad,” Bri smiled, “But what matters to me right now is that you’re proud of me.”

“I am.,” he choked on a tear, “I am very proud of you and all you have accomplished, but I am also very scared. And, I think, right now, the fear is overpowering my pride.”

As promised, here's Bri's character profile. All the Apus Crew members have full-blown profiles, but the Perseus Crew only has short descriptions. I might post those later:

Name: Briana Frazor (Bri)

Appearance: Briana is a tall girl, at 5'11". She has dark green eyes, wavy, chin-length hair and pale skin. Bri usually wears a nose ring, but has removed it pre-boarding the spaceship. Bri has double piercings on her ear. She has very defined cheekbones and is pretty well built, weighing in at 150ish lbs. Her ring finger on her left hand is missing. Bri usually wears black nail polish and she has a large, space-themed tattoo on her left arm.

Personality: Bri loves anything having to do with space (duh). She's been obsessed since first grade, when the Perseus Crew went missing. Bri is extremely extroverted, but has lost friends in the process of training for the Apus Mission. She is very charismatic. Bri is easily scared, but she has been able to somewhat control this. She is kind and pleasant to everyone, but is known to crack under pressure and become unpleasant.

History: Bri was born to an American mother and former British soldier father. They lived in the US for a while, but her mom died when she was six, and her father decided to move back to Britain. Anyways, she was born and raised in the small British town of Blakewell, just SE of what used to be the city of Manchester. She and her father lived alone there until her father remarried when she was 13. Bri was glad to finally have a mother-figure in her life and generally likes her stepmom.

Briana went to Oxford and graduated with honors with a degree in Computer Science. She moved to London, got a small job as a pilot to accumulate flight hours, and was eventually selected into the astronaut training program in 2135. Bri was chosen onto the Apus Crew out of pure luck. Her stepmom supports her, her dad does but is totally scared for her.

And, also, a song I've been listening to while planning (besides my usual playlist):
phpBB [media]

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:00 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I hope you don't mind me commenting in this thread, but this story looks so cool! I love Briana already, and I love the worldbuilding you already established with your story's description. Plus, I'm a sucker for space mysteries and crews being stranded on forgotten planets - so I'll definitely be keeping up with your progress! :)
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

142 Reviews

105 Reviews

Reviews: 105
Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:46 am
View Likes
momonster says...

I am LOVING this! Can't wait to read more when it's done!
For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace.
Romans 6:14 NIV

never apologize for standing up for what you believe in.

previously MomoandAppa, LordMomo, MomoMajesty, and dancingontheclouds

142 Reviews

142 Reviews

Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:54 am
View Likes
looseleaf says...

More character profiles (the Apus Crew) and the introduction of an alien species called the Pomtics! Not going to go into detail about them yet, because it will spoil quite a bit.
Spoiler! :
Name: Jason Danvers

Appearance: Jason is 6’1” and is very skinny, weighing no more than 160lbs. He has dusty brown hair that is always a mess and light brown eyes. Jason’s skin is rather tan, which he can’t explain because he rarely goes to the beach anymore.

Personality: Jason is an engineer and rocket scientist with SpaceX. He is very outgoing and funny, and is always ready to crack a joke, no matter the situation. Even then, he can be quite dull and always talks about the same several topics over and over again.

History: Jason was born to an upper class family in London, England, consisting of two loving families and two siblings (a sister and twin brother). They lived in a large home on the outskirts of London. He had a very happy upbringing, with vacations every year and good schools.

Jason was accepted into the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and got his bachelor’s degree and PhD in rocket science there. He then remained in the United States working as a pilot for a while then at SpaceX, until he was chosen to be part of the Apus Crew. He met Bri there and they quickly became great friends.

Eli Bankole - Martian. Smart, Captain, nice, quiet, serious.

Name: Eli Bankole

Appearance: Eli is average height, at 5’7”, and he is the oldest person on the Apus crew. He has cinnamon colored skin and dark brown eyes that seem to sink into his face. His black hair is always neatly done and his teeth are always a bright shade of white. He is well built, but has a bit of a beer-belly, and isn’t as fit as the other astronauts.

Personality: Eli is super smart and is the captain of the Apus Ship. He is kind and fatherly, but quiet and serious. Eli is never one to brag or show off. Bri thinks he’s hiding something, but she doesn’t know for sure.

History: Eli was the third baby born on Mars in late 2094, but the second baby did not survive, making him one of two children on Mars for a while. He never knew his father, as his mother was (unbeknownst to her) pregnant when she went to Mars.

Eli was hardly allowed outside, except for about a half hour or so a week, until he was thirteen and they had successfully terraformed Mars and gotten rid of its harsh atmosphere. Then more people began moving onto Mars, and by 2112, when Eli was 16, there were 1,500 people from multiple different countries living on Mars. They called their settlement “Concord.”

Eli was able to get a college education by the teachers and professors who moved to Concord. One day, Eli was out exploring when he met a Pomtic spying on the people. They became friends, but the Pomtic had to go back to Navilo (D2-R13) and they never saw each other again. Eli did learn the basics of their world and experiments, though. Eli blocked it out of his mind as much as he could and in 2135 was easily accepted into the Apus Crew.

Natalia Tine - French. Average smarts, attractive, MD.

Name: Natalia Tine

Appearance: Natalia’s father is Chinese and her mother is French. Natalia has wavy, dark brown hair that goes down to her armpits. Her eyes were small, but her blue eyes were the first things you notice about her. Natalia’s lips are long, but not skinny, and her face is very defined. She is extremely pale that usually looks shiny. She is 5’6” and average sized.

Personality: Natalia isn’t the smartest of people, but she is very pretty. She is nice, but occasionally snobby because of her extremely wealthy background. Natalia is very convincing and sometimes uses her looks to get what she wants.

History: Natalia was born to an extremely rich couple in the center of Paris. She had one much older brother (13 years older), so she basically got the house to herself once she started school. Natalia went to only the best school with other wealthy people and never really associated herself with people in lower classes.

Using their high position, Natalia’s parents got her into the University of Paris. She barely managed to get a degree in Neuroscience and was selected (again with the help of her parents) on to the Apus Crew. She is divorced and has two sons who are currently living with their other mother.

142 Reviews

Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:01 pm
View Likes
looseleaf says...

Another character! This is Hope Johnson, daughter of Travis and Monica! I think she's 14 1/2, but I'll have to check again (yup, 14 1/2). Hope is very quiet, calm, nice, and pretty smart! Her little sister is Layla.
Attachments
506370AF-31E1-4F0A-B7EC-C3FC039C7D1D.png

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:15 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

You've already put so much thought into the world!! This sounds cool! Excited to see how it develops :)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

142 Reviews

Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:12 pm
View Likes
looseleaf says...

I tried a new picrew, and omg, I LOVE IT! I'll have to create Bri and Hope with it. So, I haven't named this woman yet, but this is the leader of the Pomtic Aliens and she basically rules all of D2-R13... I'm thinking she's around 30/40 years old, but because of the Pomtics' lifespan, she looks much younger... I'll post some more information later because the Pomtics play a big role in this story!
Attachments
B1FCD843-B1C8-4CFD-A191-2B9B5BC4EECC.jpeg

142 Reviews

Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:29 pm
View Likes
looseleaf says...

Information on the Pomtics! I had a lot of fun writing this. WARNING: Major novel spoilers.
Spoiler! :
The Apus Crew/Mission

The Apus Crew is a joint mission between the USA, Britain, the Mars Colony, and France to explore where the Perseus Crew was supposed to. This is about 50 billion miles away (there ship can go 5b a day). The ship is a renovated Airbus A380 (Known as AP38) (the bottom floor is fuel), with two bedrooms, a bathroom, a kitchen/entertainment space, a storage space, and an enlarged cockpit. Their goal is to find new life.

The Pomtics

The Pomtics are an alien breed that live near D2-R3. They were responsible for the Apus and Perseus crashes, with their automated nuclear blasters (or something idk). They live on D2-R13 (not discovered by humans) and are a bit more advanced than humans. They have been studying Earth and humans and shot down both of the crews as experiments to study human nature.

Pomtics are usually between 5'11" and 6'8" tall, with few exceptions. Their skin ranges from the brightest red to the deepest purple depending on what region they're from. Magic is rampant, but only the wealthy are able to attend school and enhance their skills. They speak Pomtician, but with their magic, can easily understand intergalactic languages. They are ruled by one government with representatives from each region and one main leader. Each region is like a different biome.

Level One of Magic

Born with Language Deciphering, telekinesis, and one more based on what region they are from.

Level Two

What is equivalent to Kindergarten - 5th Grade: pause time briefly, lift objects less than 15lbs with their mind, make simple objects appear out of thin air.

Level Three

6th Grade to 10th Grade: teleportation, lifting/making objects under 30lbs appear, and how to make simple pills (potions but not). This includes moodchangers, hunger/sleep/etc replacers, and medicine.

Level Four

11th - Sophomore in college: more lifting, more pills, but more focus on actual things like math, science, etc.

Level Five

Most Pomtics stay with level four and start their normal lives. A small few go on to four more years of magic training. These few are known as the Lenadis and have to swear to protect D2-R13 (known to them as Navilo) in case of emergency. Those in level five learn invisibility, time travel, shape shifting, the ability to lift things 3x their body weight, make extremely heavy things appear, etc. They are also sworn to secrecy, and even the Pomtic's president's spouse does not know she is a Lenadis.

Pomtics do have genders, but are able to change/rid of their gender at will. The average Pomtic lifespan is 117 years, with many living to see their 120th birthday.

142 Reviews

Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:38 pm
View Likes
looseleaf says...

I made Hope! The Picrew didn't have any good hair options, so I did the best I could. I'll do Briana and maybe Jason later!
Attachments
A6841ECF-1F6B-4BA6-AC6E-F0A318113B89.jpeg

142 Reviews

Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:15 pm
View Likes
looseleaf says...

This is just turning into a Picrew thread. Anyways, here's Bri.
Attachments
CF0BC520-0ADC-4A85-9C62-96F4BE70AC4A.jpeg

142 Reviews

Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:54 pm
View Likes
looseleaf says...

So, as you can see, I changed the name of this thread to "LZ's NaNo Project(s)" because I'm considering doing another project and splitting the goal 25k/25k.

I'll post information on the other novel later, but I'm planning on doing this Sims 3 Word Crawl (plus the second one if I have time) for it!

Who wants to become a writer? And why? Because it’s the answer to everything. It’s the streaming reason for living. To note, to pin down, to build up, to create, to be astonished at nothing, to cherish the oddities, to let nothing go down the drain, to make something, to make a great flower out of life, even if it’s a cactus.
— Enid Bagnold