z

Young Writers Society

How do you get through NaNo?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:09 am
View Likes
Vervain says...

So there's a lot going on this NaNo! You need a bit of spurring on to reach your daily word count? Need a creative way to inspire yourself? Check out the NaNoWriMo word crawls!

Word crawls are an organized list of sprints ("reach X number of words", "write Y number of words", "write for Z long" and so forth), word wars, and challenges (such as the fearsome Fifty-Headed Hydra[1]).

A rather famous one is the Extreme HP Crawl! It's. Long. Like, really long. Check it out! It's also available in Google Docs and Sheets form. There are a lot of other cool crawls and stuff in the NaNo forums, and keep checking back to see what's been added!

How do you get through NaNoWriMo? Any tips or tricks? Any favorite methods? Let us know!

[1] Fifty-Headed Hydra: A challenge in which the participant writes 500 words in 5 minutes. Tip! Turn your text the same color as your background, and turn off spellcheck for the duration of the challenge. Not recommended for full-length novel writing but hey, go for it, see what happens!
stay off the faerie paths

560 Reviews

Reviews: 560
Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:21 am
View Likes
Tenyo says...

I find the thing of turning text to the colour of the background is an amazing trick, and shrinking my WP window so I can only see two or three lines at a time. Not letting myself check the word count in between chunks also helps.

Writing in company is really important for me. I can get a bit done on my own, but if I were to pin actually succeeding in nano on anything in particular it's the team effort.

Another thing I find really useful is that day to day I look for small things that make me smile and incorporate them into my novel. It helps me maintain a positive relationship with it so I can push through the more difficult parts.
We were born to be amazing.

If food is poetry, is not poetry also food?
— Joyce Carol Oates