z

Young Writers Society

Impart your NaNo Knowledge!

1634 Reviews

Reviews: 1634
Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:17 pm
Deanie says...

Whether you have done Nano before or not, whether you are or aren't doing it this year, share some tips with us! Who knows, your tip might help someone reach that finish line ;)

What NaNo survival skills do you have to share?
Trust in God and all else follows.

Deanie, dominating the world since it was cool @Pompadour, 2014
Your username reminds me of a hotdog @Stegosaurus, 2015
Tried to make puns out of your username, but every attempt has been Deanied @Candywizard, 2015

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:25 am
View Likes
TriSARAHtops says...

I'm not doing it this year, but if past attempts have taught me anything, it's the importance of making writing a habit, and sitting down everyday to write as much as you can, and hit your daily word count goal. Because it's really easy to take one day off because you're feeling tired/uninspired and think you'll just write more tomorrow, but if you do this too often, the daily word count you have to reach slowly starts going from 1 667 to 2 000 to 3 000 to 30 000 and it making it back up starts to feel very soul-destroying.

To avoid this though, because there will be days that getting more than 100 words just ain't gonna happen, try to get a safety net by writing more than you need to in order to hit fifty in the month. If you have a couple of days where you hit 4000+ (which most people will manage early on, and then not so much) it'll mean that the days where you don't write as much, you don't have to worry about your wordcount skyrocketing.
if we wait until we're ready
we'll be waiting
for the rest of our lives

359 Reviews

Reviews: 359
Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:05 pm
View Likes
steampowered says...

My top tip is to join the NaNo website. On your writing statistics you can find a graph of how much you've written, and how you compare to what I'd call the "minimum" word count. Not to boast about how much I've done for NaNo, but I feel like I should share my own graph.

word count.jpg
word count.jpg (19.96 KiB) Viewed 552 times

My style of NaNoing involves writing like crazy for the first few days to give myself a head start. But now, I can relax if I want to. Statistically, I don't have to write any more until day 12 if I don't want to, so I'm safe in the knowledge that I've earned myself a break. The only rule I've set myself is that I mustn't dip below that grey line at any point - which obviously means that at some point, I'm going to have to get to 50k.

So yep, in my opinion graphs are definitely the best way to go, and the best means of checking the progress you've been making.
Live well. Learn lots. Question everything.

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:49 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Writing wise, I find it helps to stop at a bit of a cliff-hanger. This could be in the middle of the scene or at the end of the chapter, but if you're excited to write what's going to come next, you might be more inclined to start writing the next day! :)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

The bigger the issue, the smaller you write. Remember that. You don’t write about the horrors of war. No. You write about a kid’s burnt socks lying on the road. You pick the smallest manageable part of the big thing, and you work off the resonance.
— Richard Price