z

Young Writers Society

Life as I knew it

Reviews: 0
Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:44 pm
View Likes
SilverSummer0 says...

“Robin!” yelped Jessica as a strong gust of wind blew up at us. The snow rustled on the ground blowing up and into our already frozen faces. The sun was white in the cloudy sky and the light reflected off of the perfect, white snow that had blanketed the ground.
“Hmm?” I said as I continued walking forwards through the tall pine trees. The smell of pine mixed with the calming sensation of being isolated from all civilization was amazing and I didn’t want to ruin it by talking.
“I-I’m s-so c-c-cold…” Jess said in a shaky voice as she ran to catch up to me. I didn’t answer; I was too entranced by the beauty that surrounded us in this secluded forest. I kept walking and looking around at the tall, beautiful trees that encircled us. The pines were huge and must have seen so much in their long, full lives. The trees were covered in beautiful snow and icicles that reflected the light of the sun in every direction. It gave the astonishing impression that a million sparkling crystals surrounded you.
“Robin?” I heard a call come from behind me. I had just been wondering how many seasons the massive trees had seen when I realized that I had walked out from the shelter of said trees and into a large circular plane. I looked back and saw Jessica on the edge of the trees shivering in her large black coat. “Where are you going? Come on…you know how our p-parents get when we’re late.” She stammered. Even from here I could hear her teeth chattering.
Mention of my parents sent a wave of rage through my mind and I spun around to keep walking. I stomped out into the flat, lifeless plane another ten yards before I heard it. I loud, bone shaking crack that came from the ground below me. I looked down at my foot and saw cracks forming on the ground.
I didn’t have time to scream before I was submerged in black, freezing water.
The water rushed into my eyes, my nose, my ears and every part of my body freezing me from the outside in. I let out the scream I had been holding in only to feel water invade my mouth, throat, and chest.
My life flashed before my eyes.
“I’m sorry Robin.” My dad said as I held up his crumpled form on the bathroom floor. He clutched the bottle of small, colorful pills in his hand like he was holding onto life. In his other hand was mine, small and powerless compared to his. I felt the tears cut lines in the dirt on my face and the crushing misery as I realized there was nothing I could do. “I’m so sorry baby.” He said softly as his hand, which had clutched mine so tightly a second ago, went limp and cold. His glassy eyes stared up longingly at something I couldn’t see.
The pains in my head and chest were becoming too much. My lungs called for air, which they knew they would never get. I was sinking and I stared at the light coming from the ice above me.
“Robin…I’m sorry. I have to leave now.” My sister said grabbing her suitcase from the room we shared.
“NO!” I yelled, “Don’t leave me alone!” I was crying against my will, the tears stinging my cheeks.
“Honey…I have to. Mommy won’t let me go now that daddy…” my big sister wiped her eyes and looked at me closely. “I have to. I can’t stay here.” I had followed her downstairs to the front door and we now stood in front of it facing each other. “Goodbye.” She leaned down to kiss my forehead and before I had a chance to say goodbye she was out the front door and down the sidewalk.
“Amber!” I screamed out the door before the sobs in my chest over took my body and I fell to the floor.

My head was going fuzzy and I couldn’t feel my arms and legs. I was vaguely aware of a hard surface under me and the crushing sensation of water pounding my entire body. My lungs were far from crying out and were now the cause of horrendous, inconceivable pain taking over my senses. Death seemed inevitable and my mind jumped to another memory.
“Mom? I called as I walked down the stairs and looked into the kitchen. I smelled the marijuana fumes before I saw my mother sitting at the kitchen counter sobbing over a bottle of vodka. “Mom…” I said again apprehensively as I walked into the kitchen behind her. I smelt burning food coming from the oven and the strong stench of alcohol coming from my mother.
“What do you want you ungrateful brat?!” my mother screamed as she lashed out with her hand. Before I knew what hit me I was on the ground with her handprint stinging my face. I looked up at her in shock from the ground and I saw her face contort in pain when she saw what she had done. “R-robin…oh sweetheart…I’m so sorry…” she said, reaching her hand down. I felt anger coarse through my veins as I slapped her hand away and jumped up, my face still stinging.
“Go to hell!” I screamed at her. “Don’t come near me EVER again.” My voice shook in rage.
“Robin! Please…I’m sorry!” my mom screamed after me as I ran out the door and down the street to Jessica’s. The snow fell in my eyes and made the burning hand print on my face start to fade.

I snapped back to reality as the edges of my vision were going dark. The one source of light was now the hole in the ice far above me.
There was no pain anymore. The cold was gone as well. There was only one thing I felt.
Forgiveness.
The forgiveness that I had been withholding from everyone in my life burst from my chest and consumed my being. The darkness ate away at the edges of my vision and my mind was blank. I couldn’t feel anything besides the warm feeling blooming in my chest as I forgave everyone for everything that had happened.
I felt nothing. Nothing could harm me, nothing ate away at my thoughts. I felt myself floating away, my consciousness leaving.
I’m dying.
I looked up and saw a bright light and music began playing all around me.
I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of anything than of a book! When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library. - Jane Austen

Stories don't end because you stopped paying attention.
— SJ Whitby