z

Young Writers Society

Old Man

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:56 am
Rosendorn says...

Hello.

I would like to ask you flatly: What is the point of this piece?

You have a few cutout characters who aren't even given proper attribution (I couldn't tell who was speaking half the time) and just talk. Your language is vague at best; several words I had to Google or completely guess at meaning because they were so steeped in slang that somebody from another area probably wouldn't understand what you were talking about very well, and there's no extra context to give us that desperately needed definition. It's the slang word, then the story is gone in another direction.

Your first few paragraphs were boring and rather difficult to get through; I'd been trying to continue reading past them the past few hours, and I always got distracted. There was no reason to keep reading. No conflict. No thoughts from the character as to why we should care about this situation. Actually, let me rephrase that. There was no situation to care about because of how long you dragged on what was happening. When writing a short story, you must remember the importance on beginnings and how to use them to your advantage.

The lack of conflict continued for the rest of the piece. You had hints. Buried deep under your dinner scene that gave me just enough implications of something rich that I wanted to rip the conflict out of the story and leave all of the extra— the narration, the dinner, the descriptions— behind, and just read about the conflict. But in order to do that, you need to cut this down. Give characters names, personalities, speaking styles, thoughts (especially your narrator, whom I often forgot was a first person narrator because of how little he observed anything in his own voice). Cut everything unneeded. 90% of this story is unneeded, in my opinion. All I see as important is your initial distaste of the "chink", the line about his wrists being so think they could break under firewood, and your mention that the narrator's daughter was also the chink's (but if only you spent more time on that, diving into the root of the conflict and actually having him comment on what he felt about this and what sort of horrible mistake his daughter was making). These are details. These give some sort of emotion, some flesh and blood to this character.

And the ending. Is the old man understanding what the chink is feeling? I hope not, because that just drips with a plot-perfect, long-distance happy ending that was forced instead of being cultivated through the actual plot— which makes the ending even weaker because there didn't seem to be anything to resolve throughout the piece. It's too much introspection too late; nothing in the story had touched greater depths, so a sudden implication that the old man understands something about the chink, after generic lines and prose focused on everything but the conflict at hand, was horribly dissatisfying. It lets me know you could produce something rich, but aren't, for reasons unknown.

To be (more) blunt, this felt like a novel excerpt. Something that has a few thousand words of story before and after it. This would be the dull part to give readers some sort of breathing room as the story moves from one event to the next.

Short stories need to be an event themselves.

I'd suggest looking at this article to turn this piece into an actual story instead of a long description exercise. One of the reasons I'm being so hard on this piece is how much is left ignored in favour of giving a scene with no context and simply capturing a moment in time without much of any details to its name. It acts like an old memory still in somebody's mind: the context is already there, in previous memories; the setting is routine [ie- doesn't deserve a mention because it's so normal]; the people have personalities constructed by event after event in the past.

However, when you take a memory out of its context, readers become hopelessly lost because we don't have the other things in the narrator's mind. And because he doesn't even hint at other memories, this is left floating on a timeline without even implied context. The dinner? Nondescript. It could be happening to anybody. There's nothing to ground it with this narrator, this situation. Which is not good, considering this is supposed to be somewhat of a unique situation.

I can understand you're reaching for the old "racist father hates his little girl's not-white fiance" and are trying to make this as vague as possible because it's, well, old and common. But by leaving it vague and only scratching the surface, you are left with a dry, flat piece of literature that readers struggle to get through and, if they do, have a decent chance of leaving a review like this one. You have the possibility to have so much psychology in here, especially with first person, that it would be a fascinating study. But you never penetrate the surface until the end, and by then it's too late.

Hope this helped. Drop me a line if you have any questions or comments.

~Rosey
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

277 Reviews

Reviews: 277
Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:34 am
View Likes
Master_Yoda says...

Hi Joshua,

I know it's been a real long time since I said I'd review this for you, but between the start of school and now, I have had a really tough time balancing YWS and writing life with my hectic 19 credit 1st semester of college. Anyhow, I am finally a little ahead of the game and am ready to review.

The truth of the matter is that I am woefully ignorant about most of the thematic matter that your story deals with. I know very little about Christianity, and I admittedly don't understand your lamb metaphor to the fullest. That said, I am going tell you what I see here and my opinion on it.

You introduce the father as a slaughterer of the innocent. Weak and helpless, the lamb represents the perfect victim. Parallel to this, the father preys on his daughter's fiance, a Chinese man who wants to impress his soon to be in-laws, and so can not defend himself against the father's aggressive onslaught.

You then proceed to expose several examples of the narrator's attitude toward his future son-in law. You continue to refer to the boy as "the boy", highlighting his innocence. You also are careful to note his eagerness and desperation to try to get Mr Phillips to like him.

Finally, you bring forward the crucifix as a theme. This seems to be a symbol that demands repentance or at least signifies it in some way. Your narrator begins pointing fingers at the validity of the fiance's Christianity, before realizing his own is flawed, and repenting in his mind by accepting the boy.

Now, in the review above mine, Rosey said your story is lacking in tension. I disagree. I think the tension is here, but is hidden. It is a result of the conflict between the reader and the narrator. I do however think it needs a little more prominence. Of course, your desire to make this scene ring as true as possible and to make the narrator seem as sane as possible makes highlighting this conflict a little more difficult. I suggest you do this by giving the boy a little more airtime, observing his consistent strong personality. The change needs to be very subtle, though.

Your characters are vivid and distinct. They work well together.

Your transition between narration and dialogue is often clunky. I'll give a couple of examples:
“And most of the veg’s are from my garden,” Paula boasted, lines seaming from the edges of her eyes. She then dashed around collecting the plates and offered my daughter and the boy a glass of wine. Kate asked,

“I’ll have a red, Merlot if you have it? Do you want a glass of water, Hun?”

“Yeah I will have water, if you don’t mind?”

This really bothered me when I read it. Both Kate and her fiance are asking way too many questions here. Having Paula offer the daughter and boy a glass of wine without dialogue and then rebooting the dialogue again for the reply reads horribly. Also, do you know much about wine? Kate would probably just ask for a Merlot. Merlot is red by standard. White Merlot has only been around since the 1990s and is not as common. If you want to make her picky about her wine, at least have her know what she's talking about. Also, Kate didn't ask "I'll have a red merlot", she said it.

“Can I ask you something, sir?” he began. I swallowed a taste of whiskey and nodded. “Oh-” he paused and his eyes moved from the licked flames to mine, “Actually, it’s nothing.” The cool glass trembled softly in my hand and I sucked a wheezy chest of air.

Now this piece here just jerks me out of the story. Since I have no idea what he wanted to ask, my attention is pulled away. I think you should make what he wants to say clearer.

Overall, I liked this piece. It's beautifully written and well crafted. It would help if I didn't feel like my lack of knowledge about Christianity wasn't affecting my understanding of this, though.

Those are my thoughts, and it's 1:30 am so I'm going to get to sleep. Hope they help some.

Have a good one!
#TNT

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
-- Robert Frost

I review your reviews: viewtopic.php?f=188&t=94522

Random avatar

Reviews: 1
Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:52 pm
mikemehr16 says...

Hey Paul, thanks for the comments on The Shed. Could you please read the story and comment? The formatting should be fixed in my reply post. I've come here to return the favor. I've read your piece, Old Man, and would like to offer some help and general impressions. Here we go:

I'm not excellent in terms of Grammar, probably average at best, so I'll leave the nit-picky grammatical errors to you and prior reviewers. I think I have a better grasp on the flow of a work and individual sentence power, or lack thereof. With that being said, here are a few sentences and or passages that I believe stand out.

The good:

We reached the crest of the steps after a few careful half strides and his Chink hand occasionally pressed on my lower back.

“That one’s our room,” I said, pointing at the first door. We moved up the hall, I reached in to the next room and found the light switch. “This is Kate’s old room.”

Shirtless men, crudely cut, still tacked to the wall. I watched the boy, running his gaze along her bookshelf library, Wolfe and Picoult, well read by age ten. He scanned the framed and hung sepia-tone memories of high school balls - being head girl, she attended several. Strung from the wall, above her pink bed, her ballet shoes fell. We stood, shoulders almost touching, staring at the only photo unstained by sunlight. Our little girl jammed beneath my shoulder. Held in one arm was a framed degree and in the other her mother’s waist. All grins, all those years ago.

Excellent, just fantastic. I flew threw this passage like it was gravy. It flows well, it provides the reader with a great description of the daughters room and a little bit about her previous life, which is good... but who is she now? The first sentence is interesting, if only for the reason that the Korean should have no reason whatsoever to help Tatai from not falling. Does Tatai cringe at his touch? Does he recoil with horror? Why is it that he continues to use racist terms in his head? It's almost like he's trying to reassure himself of his prejudices... and interesting topic and idea! The dialogue in the middle is great. It's direct, right to the point and downright honest as hell. I can picture it all happening. Now the last passage, the descriptive paragraph about the daughter's room, was the best part. Again, it flowed nicely, it gave a good vision of the room, a good feeling of abandonment in the room, since everything is stained by the sunlight, in essence faded, just like the relationship between father and daughter. A shrine to their daughter, who seemed to be a good student... with the whole degree picture on the wall... does this tell the reader anything about her? What is it trying to tell us about the daughter? The our little girl jammed beneath my shoulder is a very clever sentence, and one that I think is very original in terms of crafting pictures with words, it suggests that maybe the father was a bit pushy since he's jamming her into his shoulder as opposed to holding her nice and softly. A nice finish with the last sentence, a good way to wrap up the description/reverie for the father. Great work there.

“Who wants pudding?” Paula asked as she swiftly stood, forcing her seat into a slide.

A good sentence and well placed. There's always a moment of awkwardness when situations come to a head like the one described at the dinner table. The dialogue itself is a break from the tension and provides a good description of just who Paula is. Mom's are typically caretakers, not all of course, but it's not a far stretch of the imagination to have a mom who just wants everyone to get along and who wants her daughter to be happy. The hurried interjection from Paula is typical of mom behavior; I've been in similar situations, and I can attest to the situation's validity. The seat sliding is a nice finish. What started as a mom just wanting to make everyone happy is covered by an obvious uncomfortable noise, showing that you've added a slight and indirect method of making the silence more uncomfortable for everyone, thus picking up tension again. A good sentence and well thought out. Nice work.

The not so good:

"She travelled Europe with him and he had taken a knee under the Eiffel tower"

A sentence that has little effectiveness. It's grammatically incorrect, but more than that, it's rushed and seems like you were kid of lazy in placing the back story for this character. It's understandable that you would like to inform the reader of who your protagonists family is, and of his prejudices, but you've gone through it too fast. If you're going to just give a cursory glance at something, usually best practice is to elaborate, or just leave it out, especially when it's an indirect way of describing the main character. Take some time and really let the reader know who the daughter is too, how the father disapproves. During the story, there's not really any description of who the daughter is now, nothing really about her and why she took a Korean man for her husband. Was she aware of her dad's prejudices? I seems like maybe she did, with the slug comment towards the end of dinner, but it doesn't really tell much other than she probably knows he's racist. Did she do it to spite him? Who is she?

"Next week, that’s the beauty of my job, I can go back to practicing at any time, really.”

“So Dad, how is retired life?” Kate started.

A weak passage that's again rushed through. What does he practice? Do you think a mom would just stop asking questions after such a response? I believe a mother would be much more inclined to know about what her son-in-law does. I think the dad, knowing he's looking for things to not like about this man, would also like to know what he does, if only to support and justify his distaste for Ung-So. I think Kate would also try to support and help her parents get to know Ung-So, again, if only to justify why she has married him. Is there a silent battle going on between father and daughter? Is the mother trying to mediate? How uncomfortable is Ung-So? Why is he acting so confident? Does he know about Tatai's prejudices? Is he ignorant of them? Has Kate purposely kept this from him? Is there a reason why she would keep it from him? The dinner conversation started with tension, but this sentence breaks it all down, makes the previous passages much less effective.

Overall impressions: The story itself flowed nicely, with only intermittent distractions from the story. It kept good focus and was not riddle with inner dialogue, which could have been overwhelming in a story about a somewhat closet racist, like Tatai. Good work there. The characters were a bit unbalanced though. I think that Tatai and by proxy and from the few comments she made, Paula were well done. Kate was given a back story, but not really anything about who she is now. Again, why did she do this if she knew of her father's prejudices? Ung-So was given a few lines at dinner, but really nothing of substance about how he is, except for of course the christian symbolism at the end with the crucifix. Who is he? Why is he a Christian? What is he going to ask? Would he ask it if he knew that Tatai was also a strong Christian? For that matter, is Tatai a strong Christian? Does Tatai suddenly change his mind about how he feels about Ung-So because he is Christian? Sorry for all the questions, but it feels that they are necessary for me to understand who these characters are. I need to know more about them before I can relate. I can try to relate to the situation, but other than that, I have no bridge to two of the characters, I don't know who they are, and therefore I don't care about them as much as maybe I should. The middle of the story was well written, especially starting with the grand tour and leading up the the question that Ung-So is wanting to ask. After that though, it kind of derails. I understand that you want to promote an idea about tolerance and understanding, of loving one another despite whatever may have happened and whatever prejudices people may have, but it's kind of a cop-out. It's just like saying: "Tatai's racist, he mistrusts this person for numerous reasons, mostly personal", which we don't really know, "but he finds out he's a Christian, so now he's ok with him." The ending negates the entire previous part of your story. Does a man so embittered with racism which is somewhat inferred to the vietnam war really come to understanding that quickly? Is a Christian man so easily such a large racist? If he truly was so intolerant and a Christian, do you think he would be accepting of this boy, regardless of his race? He's a Christian, but he's still a racist, so logically, regardless if the boys a Christian shouldn't matter, he'd still be racist against him. You see that right? If you're trying to write a fable-esque tale about tolerance, then maybe it should teach a lesson. I haven't learned any lesson from this ending, it just seems to say that you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, forgive the cliche, but I think most people already know that, right?

The story has very interesting subject matter, you just need to expand on the characters and think about what you're trying to convey with the ending. It's building up to something. What is it?

Hope this helps

MPM 9/26/2011

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:38 am
MSDavies says...

I love your work! It is very good. Although I would like to include a quote.

"You don't want me to read what you wrte. For either way I will hate it. Even if it's any good I'll have wish I had wrote it myself. Therefore, I would hate it." The Character "Hemingway" in Woody Allen's a Midnight in Paris

That's really all I have to say other than thank you. Thank you for putting this up so that many others may enjoy it as much as me. Keep on writing.(:

--Maya
“Books are mirrors: you only see in them what you already have inside you.”--Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Random avatar

Reviews: 27
Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:28 am
ahhhsmusch says...

Great narration by the old man. You did a great job on keeping his voice consistent and as a result, characterizing him further by how he perceives.

I found the piece anti-climatic. You built everything up with the tense dinner and then the unexpected venture of Tatai and Ung-so, yet there was no escalation despite their conversation about Ung-so's covering of his Christianity and Tatai's own religiousness.

This is where I might start to ramble:
Now, I saw the ending as Tatai's own realization that he and Ung-so, despite Tatai's prejudices due to his Korean descent, are similar in their Christian faith. But, I find that this realization goes deeper. I found that the first line, "I killed a lamb last week," was an allusion to the sacrificial lamb of Christianity. The father's time in the Vietnam war was a sacrifice. We don't know what he was like before the war, but we know that he has been emotionally effected. He seems isolated and alone as shown by his hobbies of walking around the farm and shooting rabbits and he's retained a racist attitude towards Asians that he holds very firm. Yet, the old man sees this similarity between him and Ung-so, their shared Christianity. And then Tatai reveals to him that he too is a Christian. As the reader, I see this as Tatai's sacrifice coming full circle. Tatai, unknowingly, sacrificed himself for the future, and this dinner with Ung-so marks his encounter with not only his daughter's freedom, but the freedom of a Christian from East Asia.

Now that was a fun interpretation. Did I get the killing-of-the-lamb part right?

Thanks
-Adam

Maybe we're all just complex human beings with skewed perceptions of each other.
— Ventomology