Young Writers Society

Camp NaNo 2023: NettieWIP (?)

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:40 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

Will I actually write about a grumpy old lesbian witchy solving a murder in a small village, or will I switch projects partway through and write about THE most clueless gay man searching a mysterious forest for his lost sister? Let's find out!

the project: nettiewip

at least in theory

___________________Little town,
it's a quiet

MURDER_____________________

When Nettie Harris's wife of 38 years dies, all Nettie wants is to be left alone to grieve in peace. Unfortunately, the residents of the magical village of Godfrey’s Hollow are incapable of staying out of their neighbors' business. Only Helen Godfrey—stiff-necked, straight-laced magical scholar and head of the village council—treats Nettie as she always has, which is to say with disdain, irritation, and an utter disregard for Nettie's feelings.

When Helen is found dead in an alleyway after a village festival, Nettie feels like the last constant in her life has died, too—even if it was an insufferable constant like Helen. With the village police fumbling the investigation, Nettie takes charge of the case herself, soon becoming embroiled in a multitude of suspects, too many children, and a young detective who inexplicably seems to like her. When another body is found and Nettie seems no closer to solving the murder, she has to wonder: who's next?

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:02 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

the players

Nettie Harris. A grumpy old witch, herbalist, and recent widow, in her late fifties or early sixties. Doesn't like anyone but Cal and would rather die than admit to even that. Minds her own business and wishes everyone else would, too. (Alas, no such luck in Godfrey's Hollow.) Begrudgingly appreciates Helen's refusal to treat her any different just because her wife has died. Love language is feeding people. Lonely but would never admit it.

Ellis Finch. A tired young transgender detective with chronic fatigue and possibly chronic pain, in his late twenties or early thirties. Here from the larger town next door to help the bumbling village police with an investigation out of their depth. Laconic but observant. Unhappy with the job, which he took to help people (and now feels he's largely failing to do). Instantly soft for Nettie over her kindness, even though she hides it with a prickly exterior. A little bemused by her insistence on investigating herself but soon stops quibbling, since she's actually helpful.

Helen Godfrey. The first murder victim. A tall, straight-laced woman in her mid to late sixties, beautiful but stern. Descended from the founder of Godfrey's Hollow, wealthy, no-nonsense, and highly academic. The topic magic scholar in the country. More like Nettie than either of them would care to admit: impatient with small talk and social niceties but deeply kind if you pay attention. Strong sense of morality, which is what gets her killed, rip Helen.

Calliope "Cal" Penrose. The local postalworker and Nettie's lifelong friend (not that Nettie would admit it) and crush (which she'd admit even less). Cheerful and always good for gossip. Disliked Helen for her stuffiness, strictness, her insistence on there being one right way to do things, and her certainty that she knew what was best for everyone.

Henry Baker. Café owner. Sweet and kind, in a quieter way than Cal. Universally liked, but had a spat with Helen over regulations that almost prevented him from opening his café last year. Is he a serious suspect...or is El just looking for an excuse to spend time with him?

Aisling Couperthwaite. An old, very powerful nonbinary witch on the village council and well-known frenemies with Helen. A long-ago love affair ended on a sour note that ruined their preexisting friendship. Despite their differences, Aisling and Helen have always worked well together on the council.

Professor Silvius Underhill. Helen’s academic rival and long-ago suitor, not that Helen was ever interested in him. Irritated that even to her death she was more capable than he is of identifying enchantments. Having an affair with Eileen.

Eileen Fox. A fortune-teller of questionable skill and Helen’s former classmate and friend. Helen ruined her academic career when she turned Eileen in for cheating. Eileen was never accepted into another magic program and has blamed Helen for decades, even though she lives a reasonably comfortable life. Having an affair with Silvius.

Evangeline “Evie” Hale. A local girl with a hard life as the result of a scandal. To ease her burden, Evie’s been stealing from people using unethical (and probably illegal) enchantments, which Helen catches her at. Tom is her boarder.

Thomas “Tom” Barlowe. An old vagrant with a mysterious but dodgy past. No good alibi but also no obvious motive, since he was an out-of-towner and didn't much know Helen. Boards with Evie. Knows about Eileen and Silvius's affair.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:28 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

I am hoping Evie is the one whodunnit...
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:33 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

Wow, @Snoink already choosing which characters to dislike based purely on these brief descriptions XD

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:41 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

She's the one who is already doing illegal shenanigans!!! What's to stop her from MURDER???

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

659 Reviews

Reviews: 659
Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:09 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

___________________Little town,
it's a quiet

MURDER_____________________

I love this already! Can't wait to find out if Evie is in fact the culprit (and can I just say she seems like this good person who bad things have happened to?)!
“Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.”

― Margaret Mitchell

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:30 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

@RandomTalks my brain supplied "little town, it's a quiet MURDER" and now it's the officially unofficial tagline for the book XD

Also I'm living for the discourse that's already happening about whether Evie is a bad person and potentially a murderer or if she's a good person and non-murderer in a bad situation~

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:32 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

I can also get behind the idea that Evie throws Tom under the bus to cast off suspicion from her, since he is boarding with her. Or maybe she made Tom murder Helen since she was clearly the obvious suspect??? Hmmmm.

Like the rest of the people are like, well, I was miffed at Helen because she was self righteous. But that... doesn't seem like a very good motive???

I could also get behind the idea that Cal did it too though... Nettie's love would blind her to THE TRUTH about Cal. And probably for the better too... if Helen and Nettie are that similar to each other and Cal would kill Helen, then it is possible that Cal might try to kill Nettie too. So it actually might be good to no this romance as quickly as possible, lol.

(Also, that possibility would create a lovely drama... can you imagine selling out your murderous lover??? DUN DUN DUNNNN.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:09 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

Snoink well first of all Nettie very much denies the fact that she's in love with Cal, she's barely friends with Cal, Cal vexes her--

Also lol at the idea that the self-righteousness is the only motive anyone else has??? Eileen blames Helen for ruining her whole life on account of turning her in for cheating (which,,,methinks is somewhat misplaced since Eileen's life is actually not bad and also wow Eileen, not gonna take any credit for your own wrongdoing, huh??)

Although idk, who among us would not murder someone just because they're super annoying--

(jk, jk)

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:55 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

OmG sHe RuInEd My LiFe SeVeRaL dEcAdEs AgO.

... yeah, not buying that.

And suuuuuuuuuuuuure she's not in love. Riiiiiiiiight. Totally believe that...

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:04 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

the set

Godfrey's Hollow. A small, quaint, countryside village populated mostly by witches, the witch-adjacent (i.e. magic scholars such as Helen Godfrey), and, of course, gossips. Cobbled streets, charming alleyways, a village square with an ancient oak that is the center of village celebrations. Magic shops such as an apothecary and rock-and-gem store, as well as ordinary small-town businesses like a single diner and a single café. Woods and farmland surrounding. September, starting at the autumn equinox and the annual harvest fest or witches' thanksgiving.

Reviews: 0
Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:39 pm
View Likes
WaffleCat says...

I love them all already but especially El, I want to keep him safe and be his bestie. He can nap on the couch and I'll tuck a blanket around him like a burrito.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:31 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

An excellent choice, and unlike many of my other characters, El would probably let you do just that!!

Reviews: 0
Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:35 pm
View Likes
WaffleCat says...

Excellent, we're besties now and we're gonna watch a movie that has nothing to do with mysteries because this man needs to relax. Alternatively we're gonna watch Scooby Doo, I think he'd like that.

456 Reviews

Reviews: 456
Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:40 am
View Likes
EternalRain says...

OHMYGOSH, I love this SO SO much! A cozy fantasy whodunnit (LITERALLY MY FAVE)!! Sign me the heck up! I'm in love with all of this already and super intrigued by all these suspects............

Can't wait to learn more, and wishing the best with your writing!
“Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like.”

-- Lemony Snicket

Check out Squills!

Need a Review?

My one true aspiration in life is to make it into the quote gen.
— avianwings47