z

Young Writers Society

July Camp '22: The Players (Final Chapters)

659 Reviews

Reviews: 659
Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:57 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 1

Daily Wordcount: 454

NaNo Wordcount: 454

Novel Wordcount: 105.770k

Its so exciting working on this once again! Had a bit of a slow start as the characters had been left at random points during April NaNo. I cannot really waste any words here so I have to drive towards the objective this time, which is to set up the climax.

In the novel, Will confronts Frank in the aftermath of the search in the jungle.

A small excerpt:

Spoiler! :
Will stared at the man in quiet determination. The flicker of anger that had driven him all afternoon had gotten subdued suddenly, leaving him utterly and absolutely exhausted. There were a lot of questions and accusations that he could bring up in that moment, but he knew it wouldn't matter. It wouldn't matter because he didn't care anymore, he couldn't. So he raised his eyes once again and asked the only question that mattered.

"What do you want Frank? What is your endgame here?"

He smiled softly, calmly; as if he was dealing with an oblivious child, ignorant of the ways of the world. "I want to find out the truth, Will. I want to understand. I mean, aren't you curious at all about our situation here? Don't you want to know the reason behind this all? Behind us being brought here like this?"

Will sighed, "I just want to get out. I don't care beyond that."

Again, that same infuriating, understanding smile. "Well, then, you gave up hope a long time ago. And I don't think the island had anything to do with that."
“Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.”

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:02 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 2

Daily Wordcount: 501

NaNo Wordcount: 955

Novel Wordcount: 106.271k

I did not expect today to go as smooth, especially as I had to transition from Will to Sara in a scene that they both shared. However, I have come so far into the story, that it has become almost natural now. I don't have to take breaks between the switches if I am planning to write for a stretch of time, and I think that in itself is an improvement.

In the novel, James catches up with Sara as she tries to sneak into Charles and Beth's camps.

An excerpt:

Spoiler! :
"What are you doing here?" she hissed loudly into the dark as she tried not to trip over the next log.
"What do you think I am doing here?" She couldn't see him, but she could imagine the sneer on his face and feel the annoyance in his words.
"Following me!"
"Yeah, that's exactly what I am doing."
"Well, stop doing it!"
Even as she said the words, she grabbed his arm to steady herself when the ground dipped suddenly beneath their footfalls.
"Not a chance." He sounded smug.
"Listen, I know you want to beat the hell out of him for what he did to you, but this is not the way, James."
His steps faltered for a moment and she was about to turn around in enquiry when his voice shook up the silence again.
"Is that why you think I am traversing through the jungle in the middle of the night with no back up? To beat up a guy who will be brought to me himself, bright and early tomorrow morning?"
Now, it was her turn to pause.
"Well, then, what are you doing?"
This time she could hear his smirk. "I thought we already cleared that line of questioning."
She shifted her weight in annoyance and put her palm up against his chest to prevent him from walking on. "I mean why are you doing this?"
Now that they had both stopped moving, she could make out the faint line of his features under the moonlight. He was looking at her with an undecipherable expression and she wished there was more light so that she could understand the meaning behind it.
"No reason," he finally said and looked away.
She sighed, tiredly. "You are usually a better liar, James."
He grinned, and she got the amusement on his face in a single glance this time.
"Well, I've had a long day."
“Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.”

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:52 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 3

Daily Wordcount: 387

NaNo Wordcount: 1342

Novel Wordcount: 106.658k

I did not get to write much today. We basically just move forward with Sara and James as they try to infiltrate Beth's camp. It was fun pairing them up together on a mission as I don't think they have worked alone before.

I was planning the ending today, and I think I am finally happy with what I have in mind for Beth's character arc. Its extremely satisfying because I struggled the most with her.

No excerpt to share today!

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:07 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 4

Daily Wordcount: 485

NaNo Wordcount: 1827

Novel Wordcount: 107.143k

I think because I set such a manageable goal this time, I am being able to devote more time to the set-up of the scenes, instead of just getting through them to reach the next one. Its great because I am near the end now and its important that I do this right.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:24 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 5

Daily Wordcount: 142

NaNo Wordcount: 1969

Novel Wordcount: 107.285k

Did not get to write at all today, and I wholeheartedly blame school for that.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:49 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 6

Daily Wordcount: 389

NaNo Wordcount: 2358

Novel Wordcount: 107.674k

Made some actual progress today, although we still haven't entered the main action of the climax. Mostly, the characters are all planning and organizing right now and I get to watch and grin from afar as I know how all of it is going to blow up to hell very soon.

An excerpt:

Spoiler! :
"How did he know?"
Will shrugged, unconcerned by the sudden spark of fire in her eyes.
"He is surprisingly perceptive when it comes to you."
Sara raised an eyebrow, "He straight out invaded my privacy, Will!"
He shifted his weight from one foot to the other in slight agitation, as if this was a conversation he would rather not be having.
"Technically, he just read behind the lines. I don't think -"
He dropped the sentence midway at the glare that was immediately directed at him.
"Well, he read between my lines. He knew I didn't want him to interfere, but he did it anyways. How is that not an invasion of my privacy?"
Will held up his arms in mock surrender, "Hey, don't sue me! But feel free to pick up that argument with him. At least, it'll be entertaining for the rest of us."
He smirked in knowing amusement and she decided she did not like it one bit.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:38 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 7

Daily Wordcount: 436

NaNo Wordcount: 2794

Novel Wordcount: 108.110k

I faced some difficulty today, mostly because presenting Beth's perspective is something I often struggle with. I want her to stay true to her character but it contrasts directly with my desire to make the readers sympathize with her. I just hope I am going about it the right way and not making people hate her instead. Beth is a troubled soul, who always ends up doing the wrong things at the wrong times. But her intentions are honest most of the time and well, the road to redemption is a long stretch for her.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:21 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 8

Daily wordcount: 536

NaNo Wordcount: 3330

Novel Wordcount: 108.646k

I covered a very important scene today - its basically the characters tearing each other apart to feel some semblance of control over their situations. But it was nerve-wracking to write it because it is kind of the first confrontation between Sara and Beth (its not going to be the last, especially because the other's are going to find out about Julian through Beth). It was also difficult because Beth's interactions with Sara are a lot different than her interactions with other people. Mostly because, with Sara, she does not bother with pretenses and because she doesn't need her, she finds no purpose to her either.

Its complicated, but at least we are moving towards the big scenes now.

An excerpt:

Spoiler! :
"And after everything, I wonder - is there anybody who pities you more than you pity yourself? I mean that's what you look for in people, right? Pity and sympathy to cover the horrible, ugly scars you inflicted upon yourself and everyone around you. So I wonder if it makes it any easier for you? Or if it makes you forget for a single short moment that you are the reason your brother is dead."
She watched the punch land in her gut as she swallowed and took a step back absently. She smirked at her, deriving a strange kind of satisfaction at the momentary shock twisting her face into an almost comical expression.
She supposed it would come across as a surprise to her, to all of them as well, that she knew each of their deepest, darkest secrets; secrets they probably did not remember keeping themselves. She could narrate their whole lives, fabricate stories and warp the truth to whatever shape or form she liked and they would have no option but to listen and believe in silent horror.
She watched Sara take in a deep breath and realized from the steel in her expression that she was preparing for battle. And Beth anticipated it, she welcomed it with an yearning excitement that made the heart in her chest pump loud and clear, reminding her once again that she was breathing, she was alive and she was ready.
"What happened?" She smirked, "Cat got your tongue?"
Sara smiled and it chilled her bones.
"I'm sorry. I was just wondering what happened that made you hate yourself so much," she said softly, apologetically as though she was feeling sorry for her. "You see, my mother used to tell me that whatever is inside, is what we are desperately trying not to show on the outside. Maybe its because we are ashamed or scared and terrified of rejection, but there is no way you can pull the lid on it forever. Because you see, the things inside us - they form the core our lives are based around; they fill us up and they make us who we are."
She took another step forward, her expression cool and composed. And yet there was a hardness in her eyes that shook Beth, that made her stand there in rapt silence, hanging on to every word she said. And Sara seemed to have plenty to say.
"But inside you Beth, its just hatred, isn't it? Its just pure black resentment that knows no limit or compromise. Its just always there, swirling like an unending storm, suffocating you from the inside, snuffing out all other emotions until hate is all you feel, for yourself and the world. Now I don't know what happened that made you this way and honestly I am not at all interested in learning, understanding or even thinking about you. But before you start psychoanalyzing me, I suggest you take a long look at the mirror. And if you can deal with the ugliness reflected back at you, then you are welcome to come and discuss mine."

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:26 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 8

Daily wordcount: 449

NaNo wordcount: 3779

Novel wordcount: 19.095k

I really had a lot of fun writing this chapter. It was difficult to shine the light on Beth's many flaws in a sympathetic way, but I feel like we got a real, honest look into the character this time. Next, we get to see how the aftermath of this confrontation affects Sara and how it leads her down her own road of revelations. Well, this is going to be a bumpy ride.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:02 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 10

Daily Wordcount: 143

NaNo Wordcount: 3922

Novel Wordcount: 19.238k

Forgot to update last night! But then again, I wrote only a paragraph yesterday, so I guess it doesn't matter.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:10 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 11

Daily Wordcount: 246

NaNo Wordcount: 4168

Novel Wordcount: 19.484k

I am really proceeding at a snail's pace these days. I have never written in such short sections before. I really need to keep the descriptions short, because I have realized I can get carried away when setting a scene. Hopefully, this way I can get into the action scenes more naturally without the story seeming to drag.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:12 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 12

Daily Wordcount: 334

NaNo Wordcount: 4502

Novel Wordcount: 19.818k

Again, I am a little late with the update. But we are slowly crawling towards the big scenes, so I am really enjoying riling up the characters and making the absolute worst of every situation!

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:51 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 13

Daily Wordcount: 153

NaNo Wordcount: 4655

Novel Wordcount: 19.971k

― Margaret Mitchell

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:05 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

@RandomTalks ooh moving towards the big scenes! That's exciting :D You're doing awesome making consistent progress! All the best with your Camp NaNo!
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

659 Reviews

Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:53 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Thank you! @Liminality :)

― Margaret Mitchell

The quote generator! That's a genius idea.
— Necromancer14