z

Young Writers Society

July Camp '22: The Players (Final Chapters)

659 Reviews

Reviews: 659
Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:59 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 14

Daily Wordcount: 306

NaNo Wordcount: 4961

Novel Wordcount: 20.277k

Late with the update again, but school really has a way of messing up my plans. We are slowly marching along towards the climax now, but before we can enter that, there is this conversation between Beth and Frank that I really need to get over with. They are both such flawed characters so I really hope I can do it realistically enough.
“Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.”

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:14 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 15

Daily Wordcount: 453

NaNo Wordcount: 5414

It occured to me suddenly today that I have been writing an incorrect total wordcount for my novel. I was a little surprised when I saw 20k written as total when my novel reached over 100k words during the previous Camp. Anyways, I am too lazy to figure out where I went wrong, so I am going to do away with it completely.

In the novel, we finally get that conversation between Beth and Frank.

An excerpt:

Spoiler! :
She stared at the man and wondered about his story.
There was an air of simple curiousty between them, this feeling of amity that arose from being the antagonists to everyone else's story on the beach. She didn't feel intimidated by his knowing smile, she felt accepted.
"Can I ask you something?" She said eventually. He flicked another branch into the fire and looked up at her with interest.
She cleared her throat, "Why exactly do you trust me?"
He smiled, "Who said I trust you?"
"Well, you are here with me now when both of us know that you should have gone with Will."
"Will and I want different things. It doesn't mean he is wrong and it definitely doesn't mean I am right. We are all just following our instincts here and my gut told me from the beginning that you are not an enemy to any of us here." He paused, "Do you know how I knew that?"
She swallowed the lump in her throat, "How?"
He smiled once again, "Because you try too hard, Elizabeth. And if you stop, then maybe you will have a better chance of convincing people you are who you so desperately want to be."
“Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect. We take what we get and are thankful it’s no worse than it is.”

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:46 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 16

Daily Wordcount: 403

NaNo Wordcount: 5817

I realized today that I am really bad at describing physical appearances. I think I got my protagonists covered, but all those other characters on the side - they have voices, but not faces. I need to figure out a way to maintain the two so that they feel like real hman beings and not half drawn cartoons by a kid.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:07 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 17

Daily Wordcount: 312

NaNo Wordcount: 6129

Forgot to update that day!

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:18 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 18

Daily Wordcount: 312

NaNo Wordcount: 6129

Today was a successful day. I struggled a bit with bringing everyone together as it is very important to maintain the distinct voices of each character in scenes like these. However, now that I have finally tied all the lose ends, I need to focus on the big revelation around Julian. So far, I have a really vague idea of how I want it to happen, but really need to be certain first.

An excerpt:

Spoiler! :
"Did you get it?" She enquired hurriedly before the tarp of the tent had even closed behind him.
"No, I just sauntered in there, admired the interior decor, made myself a cup of tea and left after enjoying the many joys of modern technology in the only house with electricity on this godforsaken island. Of course I got it!"
The sneer he sent her way was nothing short of malicious and Sara would have felt sorry for the girl had she not already exhausted her patience so completely.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:02 am
RandomTalks says...

DAY 19

Daily Wordcount: 501

NaNo Wordcount: 6630

Made some real progress today. I also really enjoyed presenting the different facets of our side characters. It was interesting and exciting and everything is coming together now.

An excerpt:

Spoiler! :
"If she doesn't want to answer, she doesn't have to."
Piercing sets of eyes shifted to the source of the new voice in the commossion. Skyler stepped up to the front and folded her arms in front of her chest. She shared a look with Sara and Will had a feeling that a lot of words were exchanged in that single glance that they weren't privy to.
"It isn't just her life she is playing with,, Skyler. Its all of ours," Jason said. " I think we have a right to know why we are being asked to risk everything we have built here."
Skyler scoffed. "Everything we have built? You are kidding me right now! Everything we have built is tents on the beach, Jason, with things that they have provided us with, to suit their convenience. The food we eat, this camp that we call home - all of its there because they want it to be. And the day we start becoming an inconvenience, the day we shift from the course they have set us on, we are done! You get me? We get chucked from the board because they don't have any use of us anymore. Now I don't care who she is and what she has done to get here, but I choose to put my trust in the only person who has done nothing but tried to get us out of here since the moment we woke up. And I don't care what the rest of you feel about her, but this is my choice, something that you people seem to have surrendered a long time ago!"

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:48 pm
RandomTalks says...

DAY 20

Daily Wordcount: 613

NaNo Wordcount: 7243

We explored the sibling relationship between Jason and Janine today and it is so different from that of Sara and Julian's, that I actually had to pause, scratch everything I had written for the scene and think from the beginning from their perspective. It was a little challenging, but there's a lot of space to be creative with the side characters' stories. And I enjoy making each one as unique from the other as possible, so here's to hoping it all fits together in the end and I can do justice to each one of their stories!

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:50 am
RandomTalks says...

DAY 21

Daily Wordcount: 456

NaNo Wordcount: 7699

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:57 am
RandomTalks says...

DAY 22

Daily Wordcount: 501

NaNo Wordcount: 8200

I had so much fun writing today. I usually struggle a lot with action scenes, but I think I do better when I find that perfect balance between character story and plot.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:52 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 23

Daily Wordcount: 522

NaNo Wordcount: 8722

Am excerpt:

Spoiler! :
"Rein it in, James. Save the sarcasm for Charles. There's something else I need your help with."
His gaze shifted to her and he looked ready for battle in a moment. She could count on that look, she realized. She could count on its safety, its certainty to wrap around her and ground her on moments like these when she wasn't sure about anything herself.
I have you, he had promised.
And it was only in that moment that she believed him. Whatever happened, he had her back.

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:51 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 24

Daily Wordcount: 347

NaNo Wordcount: 9069

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:03 pm
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

DAY 25

Daily Wordcount: 437

NaNo Wordcount: 9506

Finally we get the big revelation about Julian! Technically, it does not have much to do with the plot of the story, but it is such a huge milestone for Sara that right now, I am feeling nervous for her!

― Margaret Mitchell

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:13 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

Love that day 23 excerpt, @RandomTalks! Super intense! All the best to you for the coming days of Camp NaNo! You can do it :D
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

659 Reviews

Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:47 am
View Likes
RandomTalks says...

Thank you @Liminality! :)

― Margaret Mitchell

659 Reviews

Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:15 am
RandomTalks says...

DAY 26

Daily Wordcount: 547

NaNo Wordcount: 10.053k

― Margaret Mitchell

You know what the big problem is in telling fantasy and reality apart? They're both ridiculous.
— The 12th Doctor