Reviews: 142
Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:22 am
View Likes
looseleaf says...

Dad Hacked Death

A Brother's Untimely Death
A Father's Mysterious Disappearance
A Daughter's Journey To Find Them Both

Several months after his seventeenth birthday, Mallory Polnet, the first child of Mr. Leonard and Mrs. Madeline Polnet, drowned. Mallory's death was a freak accident, but, despite the reassurance and insistence of local authorities, his father never accepted the truth. Now, two years later, Mr. Leonard Polnet is one of thousands of missing persons cases forgotten by the FBI. But he isn't forgotten by his family.

Q, his youngest daughter, has never been able to recover from her brother's death, let alone her father's disappearance. Against the wishes of her mother and wayward sister, Q uncovers her father's old notebooks and, in the process, solves the case that has plagued her for a year.

Along with her best friend Belle and a hardy crew of dead teenagers, can Q find her father in the one place no living human has dared to go? Can she accept her brother's untimely demise or will she fight to have his life restored?

Cast

Q Polnet as "The Main Character"
Belle Jones as "The Serious Best Friend"
Archie Thompson as "The Rowdy Dead Teen From 1944"
Leonard Polnet as "The Scientist Gone Rogue"
Mallory Polnet as "The All-American Brother Who Drowned"
Madeline Polnet as "The Depressed Mother"
Honey Polnet as "The Sister Who's Never Home"

...and more to come!

Goals

Word Count: 10,000
- Alternative Chapter Count: 6

---
Last edited by looseleaf on Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:45 am
View Likes
Omni says...

Okay, but the rowdy dead teen from 1944 is what I feel like sometimes.

Looseleaf, this sounds super interesting! Mysteries are always so fun to explore, and you have several here! 10k words is a super achievable goal, so I'll be cheering you on this Camp Nano!
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:31 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Okay but the title alone.
Love a good mystery and this sounds very twisty and spooky and fun!! I'm excited to see how this develops and I wish you luck with your Camp journey!! 💜
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

142 Reviews

Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:53 am
View Likes
looseleaf says...

Thank you @Vincian and @Carlito! I'm really excited to be starting this!

Daily Snippet:
Before her son's death and her husband's disappearance, Mrs. Polnet had never missed a payment to her daughters’ piano instructor. Honey didn’t mind, she was too busy trying every cheap alcohol at the corner store, so Q was the only Polnet who was affected when Mrs. Polnet started forgetting payments. Q still played the piano after her instructor left, but her progress was minimal and, over the weeks, the piano began collecting dust.

So, today was pretty fun! I didn't have an outline accept some basic plot and character notes. I've got to make some more characters later (some dead bois gotta be planned), but, besides that, I'm all set to go!

Word Count: 491/10,000

142 Reviews

Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:19 am
View Likes
looseleaf says...

Day Two!

Daily Snippet:
Q had never taken the subway after her dad had taken their savings and disappeared. Her mom thought it was too dirty and that “walking or taking an Uber is perfectly respectable and the best thing to do.” Q blamed not taking the subway before she was a teen for her odd fascination with the people in it.

alright bros day two of the Polnets! today wasn't really much though. she finished breakfast. she's meeting with belle and going grocery shopping for her mom later. she bought some nice expensive headphones with secret money she saved up. and now she's talking about some girl on the subway.

anywho, that's all for today!

Word Count: 910/10,000

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:19 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

Love that title, looseleaf! And the snippets really show a detailed family dynamic among all the characters!
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

142 Reviews

Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:36 am
View Likes
looseleaf says...

Thanks, @Liminality! I really appreciate it!

Day Three (on Day Seven)

Daily Snippet:
Belle had a car: really nice one, at that. She probably didn’t need one in such a big city with so much traffic, but she had one, and everyone knew she did. Belle had a dark blue, 2004 Porsche Boxster Convertible with a dark brown interior and roof. It was a gorgeous car, Q had to admit, but it was too flashy and made her doubt the Joneses parenting techniques. A newly sixteen-year-old doesn’t need a Porsche, they just need something to drive them places. A Honda Civic would work just fine.

Alrighty, I may have finished chapter one?? I'm not sure yet. All I know is Q went to school, I wrote some details, Belle calls Q "Q-Tip," and they just got to the grocery store. Also, Q's a Bobby Darin fan, so, basically, she's becoming more and more like an exact copy of me every day.

Also, I broke the 1,000 mark! Yay!

Word Count: 1,572/10,000

142 Reviews

Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:00 am
View Likes
looseleaf says...

Day Four (on day eleven)

Daily Snippet (warning: death):
Spoiler! :
That was true. There were three generations of Polnets on the family plot, so, to save room (and money), her mother and father planned to share the same stone. That meant, under “Leonard James Polnet Jr. 1972 - 2019,” there was also “Madeline Iris King Polnet 1974 -.” Mom didn’t mind the stone waiting for her to die. Q did.

“Q, please,” Grandpa planted his last flower and patted the headstone.

“Sorry,” she looked at the smaller stone to the left of her dad’s, “Do you think Mal’s doing well?”

“Mallory’s doing just fine,” the old man smiled, “He’s your brother, afterall. He could do anything.”

OOOOoooo so Q's about to find out that his dad may be in the underworld (but he's not dead!!?). so basically Q's harassing her grandpa until he spills the beans.

Word Count: 2276/10,000
Last edited by looseleaf on Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

142 Reviews

Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:44 am
View Likes
looseleaf says...

Day Five (on day twelve)

Daily Snippet:
“Whatever you say,” Grandpa returned to the journal, “‘Day One - I constructed a rudimentary device off of my blueprints. If I am correct, the particles at the end of this tube, see Figure E, will connect to granite in Mal’s stone. Once, and ONLY once, the machine is fully connected, may I attach myself to it with the straps, see Figure F. Then I may be able to see my Mallory again.’”

“That’s absurd.”

“Is it?”

“Well, Grandpa, I’m not a scientist but that seems like some crazy sci-fi junk to me. Maybe dad ran away and forgot his manuscript for a French sci-fi novel.”

alright alrightttt Q sort of knows (like she knows but doesn't believe it) what happened to her dad. this is moving a bit quicker than i would like so i might slow it down a bit from here or add more time in the underworld. idk.

Word Count: 3,338/10,000

Cheat your landlord if you can and must, but do not try to shortchange the Muse. It cannot be done. You can’t fake quality any more than you can fake a good meal.
— William S. Burroughs