z

Young Writers Society

July 2021: What Is Happening In Greenwood?

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:09 pm
View Likes
ChesTacos says...

Let's pretend I'm not late to this OK? OK, good, now that that's out of the way...
*ahem*
Lets see here....
Goals, yes, very important um....500 words per day? Is that reasonable? I'll go with that, sure, why not.

Now important book info:

Sarah Clyde is driving home one day but she never reaches her destination.

Mark Dennis enters an elevator but never leaves.

Every day another victim is claimed in the town of Greenwood. Every day another person seemingly vanished off the face of the Earth without a trace. There's something going on this town, something dark, the police refuse to say anything. The media doesn't report anything. What is happening in Greenwood?

Characters:

Thomas Hill: A young boy who has made it his goal to discover the secrets in Greenwood

Louis Ryder: A detective who may no more than he's letting on...

James McKenzie: Thomas's friend who has agreed to help

Isabelle Hill: Thomas's sister (she might be important later???)
Last edited by ChesTacos on Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
*boop*

34 Reviews

Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:11 pm
View Likes
ChesTacos says...

Journal Challenge 1: World Building

The story mainly takes place in Greenwood, a small town in America. A series of strange disappearances begin to occur here which catches the attention of the people who live here.
*boop*

34 Reviews

Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:12 pm
View Likes
ChesTacos says...

Journal Challenge 2: The Beginning

Will probably be about the first disappearance (Sarah Clyde).
*boop*

34 Reviews

Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:13 pm
View Likes
ChesTacos says...

Journal Challenge 3: The Villain

People keep disappearing, is it a mysterious force? A crazy person? A government conspiracy? Who knows?
*boop*

1487 Reviews

Reviews: 1487
Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:23 pm
IcyFlame says...

Cool concept @ChesTacos! And you're not late to this at all, it's still a week until July <3

34 Reviews

Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:28 am
ChesTacos says...

@IcyFlame OK thanks!
*boop*

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:37 pm
Carlito says...

Like Icy said, it's not July yet so you're not late at all! :)

ope there's a greenwood near where i live should i be concerned

500 words a day is a great goal!! Wishing you luck and I'm excited to see how the story progresses :)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

34 Reviews

Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:34 am
View Likes
ChesTacos says...

@Carlito hmmmm...that is reason for concern

Thanks for the comments!
*boop*

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:11 am
Liminality says...

Sounds like a great mystery story, Ches! Good luck with it!
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:42 am
View Likes
Omni says...

What is Happening in Greenwood? Well, we'll learn every 500 words XD which is a very reasonable goal, Ches! That's also my goal for this month, so I'll be cheering you on! I love me a good mystery, but they're also super difficult to write, so good luck!
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

34 Reviews

Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:18 am
View Likes
ChesTacos says...

This is what I made today for this

TW: Mentions of the Indigenous m@ss gr@ves

Sarah Clyde whistled a cheery tune as she walked down the dark, rain slicked street. It helped keep her calm. In her hands were the groceries she had just bought. As she walked she felt someone watching her, she tried shaking the feeling but it just wouldn’t go away. She started to get frustrated as she looked around, seeing no one on the street besides her and the occasional car driving by.
Then she saw someone, it was a hooded figure, they were holding an open umbrella, they looked almost sinister under the dim streetlight.
“Sarah Clyde, it’s just your brain playing tricks on you, relax.” Saying it out loud made her believe it more and calmed her down.
The hooded figure likely wasn’t following her, they were just some random person out on a late night stroll.
Or maybe they weren’t human? She laughed at the thought, remembering how her sister Janice used to always tease her about how easily she got scared, trying to terrify her at every moment.
She was so focused on the distant memory that she didn’t even notice what happened to the figure.
She could have sworn they were just there...where did they go?
She rubbed her eyes, this was a one-way street and there were no buildings nearby...weird.
Then she turned around and saw it...she didn’t even have time to scream.

“Good morning and welcome to Greenwood City News, I’m your host Mercedes Bents. Happy Canada Day to all you Canada lovers out there, unfortunately this Canada Day won’t be all about celebration due to the recent and tragic discoveries of the Indigenous mass graves, more about that later today.
In other news police are asking for help after a woman was reported missing last night at around 11 pm. The woman’s name is Sarah Clyde and has been identified as short with bob cut brown hair and light brown eyes. They were last seen at the Cloud 9 Superstore, they were seen wearing a white t-shirt and blue jeans with a light grey hoodie…”
Suddenly the secretary was startled by someone clearing their throat, she turned her attention away from the TV and faced the man.
“Hello sir, how may I-” then she noticed one problem.
“Um...sir I hate to be a bother but I’m afraid you must wear a mask at all times within this building.”
The man frowned “but I got my vaccine” he spat. “Yes sir I understand but due to COVID guidelines I’m afraid you still have to wear a mask” the secretary tried her best to fake a smile.
“Why!?”
“Well to prevent the spread of the more contagious delta variant.”
“The what now?”
“The delta variant. Sir either get a mask or get out.”
“No,” the man said.
The secretary sighed and phoned security “hi this is Pam speaking, we have a problem down in the main lobby, a man is refusing to follow the safety guidelines of our facility.”
“OK ma’am I am on my way” a security guard responded.
They pressed the down button on the elevator and the door slid open. There was another person inside, a woman, she looked oddly familiar but he wasn’t sure where he’d seen her before. He waved at her and then chose the ground floor.
The secretary in the main lobby continued to argue with the man with no mask, suddenly the door to the elevator slid open “finally you’re here” she muttered, expecting to see a security guard, but instead she was met with an empty elevator, and no one was waiting for one in the main lobby either.
*boop*

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:01 am
Carlito says...

Hey Ches!! We're halfway there! WHAT'S HAPPENING IN GREENWOOD? How are we doing? :)
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

34 Reviews

Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:13 am
View Likes
ChesTacos says...

@Carlito oh haha! I haven't updated the thread but I have been working on it lol
I'll update it soon!
*boop*

If you can't describe what you are doing as a process, you don't know what you're doing.
— W. Edwards Deming