Young Writers Society

July 2021: The Memories Tattooed on His Skin

767 Reviews

Reviews: 767
Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:26 am
View Likes
SpiritedWolfe says...

the memories tattooed on his skin

The main plot focuses around a group of terrorists who call themselves Splinter and possess a magic called influence. There's a lot of unknowns around influence, like how it works, where it comes from, but what people do know is that is can change reality and it's illegal. Splinter wants to change that and make the magic accessible to all people, even with the horrendous consequences that would cause. Their means of accomplishing this goal is fear mongering and overthrowing the government if all else fails. Hunter is one of those people in Splinter.

That's where the government agency the Defense Against Influence (DAI) comes in. Their goals are to protect the citizens from Splinter's attacks while also figuring out what influence is, where it came from, and how to stop it. But the battle right now is strongly in Splinter's favor. Rachel works for the DAI, trying to uncover the truth about influence, while her boyfriend Eric works on the frontlines to protect the country he loves.

But once Eric has an unfortunate encounter with Hunter and gets wrapped up in Splinter, Rachel soon starts to realize the lines between good and bad are very blurred.

goals:
- at least 250 words per day (7750+ total)
- lightly revise earlier chapters - aka add in more character development
- reach 60k total
[insert really cool and fun quote here]
Check out my novel shenanigans.
Or request a review from me.

[she/her]

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:21 am
View Likes
Shady says...

y e s

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

767 Reviews

Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:17 am
View Likes
SpiritedWolfe says...

Prompt 1: World Building

Describe in your thread what your world looks like.

For a novel I have spent many years working on, I've done surprisingly little in the realm of world building. So far, I've got some history and a vague vibe, but that's about it.

I'm imagining the world of MTOHS is set in an alternate reality to our own, where the rules of physics are just different enough to allow for some of the magic to be plausible but most everything else is really similar. In my first draft, I've made references to modern countries, but I'm not sure if I want to keep it that similar. (I don't want to fall too much into the rabbit hole of political commentary <.< Even if that's where it accidentally ends up.) At the same time, I want the world to feel very familiar so it's easy to settle into while everything else is crazy.

The majority of the story takes place in what is the equivalent to modern day Seattle, with lots of tall sky scrapers, the misty/rainy atmosphere, and a turbulent and rocky beach on the side. Otherwise, there isn't any real mystical technology that is far more advanced than we'd see today. Though there is probably a little bit more in the realm of cybernetic enhancements (mostly in the brain), which is something I could lean into more throughout the story.

[she/her]

767 Reviews

Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:32 am
View Likes
SpiritedWolfe says...

Prompt 2: The Beginning

Write about what plot points will be hit and what information will be shared in your first scene, or first scene that you consider to be important.

I'm thinking about expanding the beginning of my novel in later revisions to give some more time for my characters to settle into a "normal" routine -- or to give the reader some more time to figure out what is normal. So I'll give two different ideas for first scenes, one is the current version and another is a potential revision. Tell me which strikes you more down below ^^

Current:
Spoiler! :
The whole scene revolves around Hunter and Grey, two high ranking officials in Splinter. Grey has used her influence on both herself and Hunter to disguise their appearances while they are in public. They are planning to crash an underground rally in order to capture the rally leader (Eric) and bring him to their Leader.

It is noteworthy that both Grey and Hunter are wearing their Splinter masks underneath their disguises, which not only signifies their roles based on their markings but also magnifies their influence to make it more powerful. One side effect of wearing the mask is that Hunter's thoughts and emotions are subdued, so he doesn't have much commentary throughout the chapter, despite being the perspective character. He basically just does whatever Grey tells him, and if his thoughts wander too far from the mission, she puts them back on track. This is a very intentional detail! This is supposed to contrast with scenes that he's not wearing his mask, which unfortunately isn't until much later.

The first part of the scene is mostly used to set up Hunter as a distanced character, doing a lot of describing and a slight amount of commentating. He also introduces the reader to some of the very basic abilities of influence. It's noted that Hunter is using his influence to see, since his Splinter mask covers his eyes. He can also hear people's thoughts and emotions as they enter the rally. He even starts trying to manipulate someone's mind, but Grey quickly pulls him back to their mission. This also sets up Grey as the real superior in the situation. She calls the shots (literally).

From there, things turn sour when some agents from the DAI show up. Grey kills them no problem, Eric runs away, and Hunter gives chase with Grey not too far behind. Hunter uses his influence to speed himself up so that he can easily catch Eric. Then they take him to the Leader, where it's revealed that Eric is a double agent for both Splinter and the DAI! Drama! It basically ends with the Leader leaving Eric to Hunter and Grey for punishment.

Potential Revision:
Spoiler! :
Since is probably not as fleshed out as the above because it's not actually written, but I've frequently gotten feedback that the first chapter is a lot of information all at once, which is valid. It's a lot of action with characters using their fantastical magical powers right away. So the point of this revision is to take a step back and introduce Hunter and Grey before their mission.

The scene would be set inside Splinter's base, where Grey is explaining to Hunter what the situation is. This time neither of them are wearing masks initially, so the reader will be able to quickly compare Hunter without the mask to him with the mask when they leave the base. But for now, Hunter is emotive and expressive as he has an actual conversation with Grey.

It is revealed that there was a situation involving the death of two Captains in Splinter. (For context: Grey is an Admiral, which is one rank below the Leader, while Hunter is a rank below her at Captain.) Grey is clearly very upset about it, but she explains a plan to get back at the DAI agent who is responsible for their deaths. She keeps the details vague -- but this will eventually lead into the plot of the original first chapter.

[she/her]

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:39 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

Okay but the title alone.

"Rachel soon starts to realize the lines between good and bad are very blurred." BUMMER HOW THAT HAPPENS RACHEL.

This sounds so twisty and intriguing!! Excited to see what you do with it 💜💜
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

767 Reviews

Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:30 pm
View Likes
SpiritedWolfe says...

Prompt 3: The Villain

Write about your antagonist's aims, characteristics, flaws, fears, etc.

"mask boi does big bad" - @ShadowVyper

Meet the Leader. He is the head of Splinter, and he's completely anonymous to everyone, even the highest ranking officials in the organization. This is because he always wears his mask. It's a white mask like all the others, but the eyes are golden and the lips are vibrant red. The mask moves like his face actually would, with the eyes blinking and moving as well as his lips moving when he speaks. He also uses his own influence to disguise his appearance so others with influence can't use theirs to distinguish his facial features. It's like his mask just is his face. He also always wears a completely black suit like he's just stepped out of a business meeting.

Aside from being a cult leader, the Leader has a couple of related goals. The first is related to the government. Due to some spoiler heavy incidents, the Leader feels that there are certain individuals and even just organizations within the government that are corrupt and should be removed. He intends to use the pressure of his organization to achieve this, even if it requires the use of force. He has personal vendettas against certain officials, and while he may be powerful enough to get rid of them himself, he has a soft spot for theatrics. Another goal of his is to solidify his power and insure that it stays with him, so that no other person with influence can match his mastery over the ability. Step 1 of this is to have a cult where you have control over everyone in it.

The Leader, though, is a bit arrogant. He's powerful, but he's also overconfident in his abilities, as well as his control over people, and he gets wrapped up easily in plans that are a little bit too convoluted. At the end of the day, he wants to be seen as a hero, someone who's fighting "for the individual", and he'll do anything it takes to keep that image and not let all his hard work unravel.

[she/her]

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:21 am
View Likes
Omni says...

60k words is a huge achievement, and your wordcount goals are awesome and super achievable! I've just started reading this, but I'm glad that you're still writing on it!

Is 60k close to the end or just a more general goal?
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

767 Reviews

Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:55 am
View Likes
SpiritedWolfe says...

@Vincian - Unfortunately, I don't think 60k is very close to the end. The way that the story is shaping up, I think it's between 50-60% of the novel. Plus with the extra fleshing out I'm adding to the beginning, it might be a bit longer. We'll see!

Also: Camp NaNo Day 1!

Wrote 257 words tonight, so enough to hit my goal, but it was not without a struggle and my brain fighting me every step of the way. But starting is the hardest part, so maybe tomorrow will be easier.

[she/her]

767 Reviews

Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:57 am
View Likes
SpiritedWolfe says...

Camp Day 2:

Was feeling a little demotivated today, so I only wrote like 150 words today. Better than nothing, but I don't feel like I know what direction I want this to go :(

Total: 406 words

[she/her]

767 Reviews

Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:42 am
View Likes
SpiritedWolfe says...

Camp Day 3:

I spent a lot of time last night doing some thinking about what I want to do with my novel this month, and what I really want to write the most. So, I did some thinking and decided to take a new approach to what I was doing. Changing the scene really helped, and I felt more motivated to write! Hoping to make some good progress soon ^^

Total words: 609
Novel word count: 50,682

[she/her]

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:29 am
View Likes
Omni says...

so so proud of you for writing and getting over that hurdle!!
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:19 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

You're over 50k!!! Congratulations on getting through the first week and working through early hurdles 💜
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

767 Reviews

Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:02 am
View Likes
SpiritedWolfe says...

Camp Day 4:

I have a bad habit of starting writing at like 11:40 pm, but despite that, I wrote over my goal today! A scene popped into my head, and I decided to go with the flow and write a snapshot of it to insert in somewhere. Love to feel that creativity coming back! ^^

Words today: 374/300
Total words: 983
Novel word count: 51056

[she/her]

767 Reviews

Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:04 am
View Likes
SpiritedWolfe says...

Camp Day 5:

I attempted to start much earlier in the day tonight so I could make some more progress, but it was a little slower today. Having a bit of a spat with one of my characters, but he decided to cooperate a little bit. I'm not quite done for the night, but it's at least time for the midnight update and I do have something to show for it! Maybe Eric will be a bit nicer as the night goes on!

Words today: 355/320
Total words: 1338
Novel word count: 51282 (slightly less because I did some revisions >.>)

Goal updates:

I decided that I want to aim for finishing the first draft of this novel before October, that way I can take a break before NaNo and try to maybe start something else. So I decided a good goal for me would be to try to write just 20 more words than the goal of the previous day. So today I aimed to write 320 words, and tomorrow I'll try to write 340 words! That way, if I follow this, I'll be able to get roughly 16k words for my novel done this month. I think that's doable for me! ^^ And will feel like good progress. And if I feel inspired and want to write more, then that'll be even better!

[she/her]

767 Reviews

Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:47 am
View Likes
SpiritedWolfe says...

Camp Day 6:

I did writing! I had a really good writing session last night (after midnight so I count it for today), and I started doing the Pokemon Word Crawl to keep me on track. I got Charmander, my second favorite starter (I'm cannot write 100 words in 2 minutes ;-;), breezed through Viridian forest, and then got knocked out at Brock's gym after writing 334 words. I was so close!! So tomorrow, I'll aim to take another stab at Brock after I do some warm up writing and hope to keep up the good progress :)

Words today: 613/340
Total words: 1951
Novel word count: 51821

[she/her]

You can't fool me! I listen to public radio!
— Squidward Tentacles