z

Young Writers Society

July 2021: Sort-of Superpowered

243 Reviews

Reviews: 243
Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:58 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Soo... this is an idea I haven't worked on much yet, but I'm looking forward to figuring things out this month and hopefully writing the first few chapters of Sort-of Superpowered! ^-^ (That's the working title xD)
I'll probably be posting updates and stuff in this thread, and maybe post completed chapters to YWS? Not completely sure yet :P Anyways, here's the start of my planning~

What I've thought of already
* General idea: middle schoolers gain superpowers that aren't actually so super...
* * Examples: a watered-down form of invisibility that just makes one a bit blurry around the edges (can be used creatively to freak out people and distract them), the ability to conjure up only one certain kind of food (one would never go hungry! hard foods could also possibly be used to defend oneself), etc.
* Setting: present-day Earth

What I need to do
* Choose character names @-@
* Come up with a ~plot~
* Outline
* Start writing!

Goals
* Plan (!!) + start drafting
* Word count: 20k (no idea if I'll be able to keep up, but I'm hopeful xD)

Okay, so that's about it for now! Good luck to everyone participating in Camp NaNo~ whoo-hoo, it's gonna be awesome!! =DDD
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

147 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 147
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:36 am
View Likes
Carina says...

This sounds hilarious, lol. What genre is this idea? Seems like comedy and so entertaining :p
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

secret supreme overlord of yws
—Atticus

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5/5
—Anonymous Yelp Review

243 Reviews

Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:33 pm
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Ooh yes, I'll be trying to put some humor in there xD I was also kinda thinking fantasy, but I'm not sure superpowers exactly fit in that genre?? Maybe more like middle-grade fiction or something ^^ Thanks for the comment, @Carina!! =D
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

1485 Reviews

Reviews: 1485
Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:43 pm
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

Oh I love this idea, it's so light-hearted and fun! Can't wait to see how you get on :)

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:55 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

a watered-down form of invisibility that just makes one a bit blurry around the edges

oh my goshhhh xD This sounds amazing! Best of luck <3

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

243 Reviews

Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:00 pm
View Likes
Spearmint says...

@IcyFlame Thank youu, I'm glad you like it!! =DD
@ShadowVyper ^-^ Yay thank you!! Best of luck to you too!! <3
mint, she/her

=D

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:26 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Love a middle grade book!! This sounds fun and I'm excited to follow along! Good luck 💜
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

243 Reviews

Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:59 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Hehe yes, middle grade books are wonderful ^^ Thanks and good luck to you too!! =D <3
mint, she/her

=D

243 Reviews

Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:32 pm
View Likes
Spearmint says...

PlanMo Prompt 1: World-building

What world do your characters live in? A fantasy world? A sci-fi world? The real world? If in the real world - what place? What makes the world your characters live in unique? Describe in your thread what your world looks like.

So, this novel's setting will probably be the suburbs of some random city in America, with one of the significant places being the school the characters go to. Also a quick note: I'll use curly braces to stand in for names I haven't come up with, and I'll edit the names in later XD But anyways, {} Middle School is a fairly average school, although some teachers have rather quirky personalities. Bullies are rare (honestly, in my experience, the stereotypical "give me your lunch money" bullies are practically nonexistent, and the popular kids just do their own thing (bullying's probably a lot of work), so yeah, I'll try to avoid cliches xD). Another random detail: all the textbooks are super old, and have scribbles on them from previous students... this may or may not be a relevant detail. >.> Basically, the story takes place in an average city, and in a mostly-average school. :P But what happens in the story might not be so average...
mint, she/her

=D

243 Reviews

Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:07 pm
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Prompt 2: The Beginning

Have a think about your opening scene. Write about what plot points will be hit and what information will be shared in your first scene, or first scene that you consider to be important.

Currently, I'm planning to start with the main character (William) giving a speech of some sort in language arts class, when he sees his fingers and arms turning a bit blurry around the edges. He dismisses it as a trick of the light or something, but it happens again at lunch; his hand goes tingly and his fingers disappear (don't worry, they're not gone forever-- just for a few minutes :P). Understandably, our protagonist is a little freaked-out, and is starting to wonder if he's going crazy from the stress of homework, but thankfully his classmate Kimberly's there to convince him he's actually perfectly sane! Kim and her friend Peter have discovered their own powers and have been practicing them for a few weeks now. They've been keeping a lookout for anyone else like them, and are determined to find out more about why exactly they have these powers. But of course, Kim and Pete are also determined to have some fun along the way! They rope William into going to {place-- maybe the library?} with them and testing out his powers. ...Aand whoops, this was probably more detailed than necessary xD But hehe yeah, I think this prompt helped me figure out where I'm going to start writing! ^-^

Edit: Also, here's a short scene I wrote 6/29/21, just for fun hehe :D
Spoiler! :
Kim stabbed her spaghetti aggressively. She looked across the table at William. “So, where did you say you’re from, again?”

Will swallowed a bite of his sandwich and answered, “__. It’s my first time moving, actually, and-- uh, w-would you mind pointing your fork somewhere other than my face?”

Peter chuckled and said, “Don’t worry! Kim doesn’t even realize she looks so intimidating sometimes. She won’t actually attack you with silverware, unless you’ve really done something to annoy her. Which you won’t. Right?”

“R-right…”

Kim smirked and rolled her eyes. “Petey’s just joking! I’ve never stabbed anyone with a fork before.”

“Yeah, but you did throw that spoon at Oliver once, remember?”

“Only after he was a total jerk to you! I have excellent table manners otherwise,” Kim protested.

Will slowly started to get up from the table. “Okay, um. I’ll, uh, just be going now,” he squeaked. “Wouldn’t want to intrude on your argume-conversation, or anything, ehe.” He laughed nervously and tried to stand up, but suddenly some... force started tugging on his jacket. Will’s eyes widened as he was abruptly pulled back down into his seat. “Wh-wha--”

“Sorry. But we really do have important stuff to talk about.” Kim’s expression was serious now, and Will gulped.

“O-okay…”
mint, she/her

=D

243 Reviews

Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:52 pm
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Oop okay, time to catch up a bit on PlanMo prompts! xD Here we go~

prompt 3: The Villain

Don't neglect your villain. We may spend less time with this character, but it is crucial to the existence of the plot that your character's opposition be as believable and interesting as possible. For this challenge, either write about your antagonist's aims, characteristics, flaws, fears etc or, if you're feeling musical, write a lament-style song for them.
Hmm, honestly the lament-style song seems super fun, but I don't think this story is going to have a specific villain >.> It's more like the characters are trying to solve this mystery of why they have powers? But who knows, I might add a villain in there too xD as you can see, i am totally prepared for this <.< XD

prompt 4: supporting characters

Fill out the following questionnaire from the NaNo site about at least one of your side characters, though the more you do the more prepared you will be.

Oh gosh that's a lot of details to think about @-@ I might have to take my time on this, but it definitely looks super helpful!!
Spoiler! :
Name: Kimberly (Kim) {last name}
Height: {taller than Pete}
Eye colour: dark blue
Physical appearance: black hair, normal build, excellent posture
Strange or unique physical attributes:
Favourite clothing style/outfit:
Where do they live? What is it like there?
Defining gestures/movements:
Things about their appearance they would most like to change:
Speaking style:
Pet peeves:
Fondest memory:
Hobbies/interests: Arguing with Pete about random silly stuff,
Special skills/abilities:
Insecurities:
Quirks/eccentricities:
Temperament:
Negative traits:
Things that upset them.
Things that embarrass them:
This character is highly opinionated about:
Any phobias?
Things that make then happy:
Family (describe):
Deepest, darkest secret:
Reason they have kept this secret for so long:
Other people's opinions of this character:
Favourite bands/songs/types of music:
Favourite movies:
Favourite TV shows:
Favourite books:
Favourite foods:
Favourite sports/sports teams:
Political views:
Religion/philosophy of life:
Physical health:
Dream holiday:
Description of their house:
Description of their room:
Any pets?
Best thing that has ever happened to this character:
Worst thing that has ever happened to this character:
Superstitions:
Three words to describe this character:
If a song played every time this character walked into a room, what song would it be?

Name: Peter (Pete) {last name}
Height: {shorter than Kim}
Eye colour: close to black
Physical appearance: dark brown hair, light brown skin, thin, decent posture
Strange or unique physical attributes:
Favourite clothing style/outfit:
Where do they live? What is it like there?
Defining gestures/movements:
Things about their appearance they would most like to change:
Speaking style:
Pet peeves:
Fondest memory:
Hobbies/interests: Arguing with Kim about random silly stuff,
Special skills/abilities:
Insecurities:
Quirks/eccentricities:
Temperament:
Negative traits:
Things that upset them.
Things that embarrass them:
This character is highly opinionated about:
Any phobias?
Things that make then happy:
Family (describe):
Deepest, darkest secret:
Reason they have kept this secret for so long:
Other people's opinions of this character:
Favourite bands/songs/types of music:
Favourite movies:
Favourite TV shows:
Favourite books:
Favourite foods:
Favourite sports/sports teams:
Political views:
Religion/philosophy of life:
Physical health:
Dream holiday:
Description of their house:
Description of their room:
Any pets?
Best thing that has ever happened to this character:
Worst thing that has ever happened to this character:
Superstitions:
Three words to describe this character:
If a song played every time this character walked into a room, what song would it be?
mint, she/her

=D

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:23 am
View Likes
Omni says...

Ahh, Spearmint I'm basically echoing the others but this is such a cool concept! It's super hilarious and just light-hearted, and a great practice to just writing (Idk about you, but I suffer from too-many-ideas-and-not-enough-writing syndrome) 20k words is an admirable goal, especially with plotting and planning involved, but I think you have it down pat!
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

243 Reviews

Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:43 pm
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Thanks so much for the comment, Vincian!! ^-^ Ahh I really appreciate it <3
mint, she/her

=D

243 Reviews

Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:37 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Whoops @Vincian @-@ xD As mentioned above, thank youu!!

Okay, now for...
Camp NaNo Day 1
Spoiler! :
So I fleshed out my main character a bit more-- he has a last name now, hooray! William Viribel is a pretty shy teenager who, however, does tend to talk a lot when he's passionate about something. He's good at cooking, which will synergize well with another character, Peter's, ability (souper speed-- Peter consumes soup to gain speed). William lives with just his dad most of the time, because his mom is the CEO of {company that is currently unnamed xD}. She travels pretty often, but William always looks forward to those rare times when they can go for ice cream as a family. Oh yeah, and William's maternal grandparents were also around to raise him as a kid, and he learned tons of recipes from his grandpa.
Okie there's still (a lot) more to do, but I'm fairly satisfied with what I did today xD Ah and I might change up my Camp NaNo plans to just start writing as soon as possible, once I have the bare basics down, because I realized that I kinda tend to plan as I go >.>
Anyways, to anyone reading this, I hope you have a wonderfultastic day/night!! ^-^
mint, she/her

=D

243 Reviews

Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:00 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Day 2
So, first thing: I did a word war in this pad (https://bluesclues.writerfeedpad.com/117) and my word vomit is enspoilered below:
Spoiler! :
William paused at the gates of the school and looked up. Well, not really-- the buildings were actually rather short and squat, and altogether not very pleasing to the eye. He supposed it was a public school in a tiny town, so he hadn't had grand expectations or anything, but still... this area just seemed rather boring. Of course, though, whenever the main character thinks that in a novel, the area often ends up being the opposite of boring... wait why am i writing this what xD Anyways, the buildings were short and tan and kinda ugly. William sighed and opened the gate (which was also pitifully short and complained by squeaking on its hinges), then entered the premises. (lol premises sounds so formal XP) William checked his schedule (unnecessary detail but oops) and found room (randomnumber) and opened the door, which also squeaked on its hinges (all the doors and stuff here squeak. it's a fact. that i made up on the spot >.>) He shuffled inside and chose a seat, which unfortunately was that super weird kind that was connected to the desk, and set his backpack down, trying not to make a sound. There were a couple other kids already, but the teacher had yet to appear. William thought that was slightly strange-- like, shouldn't teachers be more prepared than the students? But when he looked around, and as the minutes ticked by towards the start of class, no imposing teacher figure entered through the squeaky door. William sagged down in his chair as he mindlessly scribbled on his notebook.
Finally, five minutes after the bell rang, there came the intimidating sound of bunny slippers shuffling down the hall, and the door opened to reveal... a half-asleep woman with sparkly glasses and a coffee mug in her hand. It appeared the coffee hadn't helped much, as she looked rather sleepy (as i've already mentioned xp). William supposed this was the teacher? Yawning, the lady walked towards the front of the class and grabbed a marker. She introduced herself as Ms. Merily and sat down at her desk, then appeared to... doze off for a couple minutes. Some students watched impassively, while others started chatting with their friends, and others still did the same as the teacher and napped. William started wondering if this was all just a waste of time. But suddenly, Ms. Merily snapped awake and announced "Right! Welcome everyone! Give a--" she yawned-- "2-minute speech introducing yourselves to the class... Apologies if I don't pay attention, I'm sure your classmates will instead..." She closed her eyes for a moment, then snapped awake again. She pointed at William. "You there! Go ahead."
William blinked at her. ahhhhh what do I say??? He was never the best at public speaking, and his hands started sweating immediately. He wiped them on his shirt, then tried to stand

468 words/emoticons XD

And second thing: I fleshed out the school a bit more, so now the principal is a lady named Mrs. Prince who has a collection of tiny shoes... (which might actually be plot-significant 0.0) There is more, but I don't want to spoil anything in case I actually post this on YWS >.> (though there's also the fact that all of this is highly subject to change right now xD). Anyways, day 2 of planning done?? i guess?? I'm hoping to start actually writing by either Monday or July 7 ^-^
mint, she/her

=D

Some books should be tasted, some devoured, but only a few should be chewed and digested thoroughly.
— Francis Bacon