Young Writers Society

July 2021: Sort-of Superpowered

243 Reviews

Reviews: 243
Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:40 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Day 3
More planning today! I've been thinking about the teachers and school a bit, and I have a rough outline of some of them ^^
Math teacher: loves triangles (triangle high-heels, I'm thinking?), can look pretty scary sometimes xD
Language arts: sleepy most of the time, wears bunny slippers
History/Social Studies: enthusiastic about teaching but can also be pretty insecure
Science: an friendly guy with white hair who knows more than he lets on...
Might throw in a physical fitness or music teacher in, perhaps? ^-^
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:26 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

I love your goal of being able to start writing sometime in week 2! Don't be afraid! You've got this 💜
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:25 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

@Spearmint I love this idea! And the character quirks you're giving the cast are really amazing (collection of tiny shoes, triangle high-heels? Brilliant.)
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

243 Reviews

Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:49 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Thank you so much, @Carlito!! ^-^ <33
And @Liminality ahh I'm so glad you think so!! Thank youu =D <33

Day 4
Okay, I'll be honest... I didn't plan too much today >.> but! I'll make up for it tomorrow during the write-in hehe ^^ I have a rough idea of the first few scenes, so I should be able to start writing... :D
mint, she/her

.--. / ... ...- -.-. .-.. / - .--. ..- .- / .--- --- ...- .--- / .--- --- .--. .-- / .--. .--- .-.. / .--- -.-- .-.. .... -
=D

243 Reviews

Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:10 am
Spearmint says...

Whoops forgot to update this yesterday xD

Day 5
So I did some word sprints of 5 minutes in the pad yesterday (writing enspoilered below), but they're actually just scenes that I may or may not use in the novel, so I'm not sure if I want to include them for the total word count. It's still writing, though, which is good! ^^
Spoiler! :
okie setting a timer for 5 minutes and just writing :')

William glanced at the suspicious bunny. It twitched its nose at them innocently, then hopped off through the hedges. William looked at Kim and Peter and asked, "Did something about that bunny seem kind of off to you?"
Kim shrugged. "If you haven't noticed, there's bunnies everywhere."
William nodded slowly. "Yeah... but this one looked... I don't know... more intelligent than usual. Almost like it was spying on us."
Peter snorted. "Bunny spies." He doubled over in laughter. "Man, I don't think I've laughed this hard in a week!"
"That's really saying something," Kim added. "Petey finds stuff to laugh at basically every day. He literally found something amusing about pencil shavings!"
"Well, laughing too much is better than too little!" Peter protested.
Before the two could get into another one of their debates, William coughed to interrupt them. "Okay. Um, I admit that the idea of bunny spies sounds a little... unrealistic. But hey, we have powers! I don't think we should rule anything out here..."
Peter shrugged. "Sure, consider anything you want. ...

okay, next round of 5 minutes:

There were... shoes all around the room. Tiny shoes. William glanced up at the shelves and saw a pair of sparkly high-heels next to muddied sneakers. Tiny shoes are just collectibles, aren't they? So why would the sneakers have mud on them... maybe it's like a design thing? He shrugged and turned his attention to the desk in the middle of the office. So, Kim said to look for files on the students, and whether the teachers know anything about our powers... I feel like I'm in a spy movie right now. William shook his head and told himself to focus. He approached the wooden desk and observed even more shoes around the edges: flip flops, dress shoes, clogs, and more. Well, it seemed like all the adults here were rather eccentric, including the principal... William carefully opened the drawers of the desk and rifled through them, being careful to put each drawer exactly as he found it when he finished. Nothing here... nope... not here either... William sighed. Well, it's not like Mrs. Prince would just leave stuff like this lying around... He crouched down next to some filing cabinets and tried to open them. Locked. I should've figured... Standing up, William took one final glance around the room. Well, it looks like we haven't learned anything useful from this mission. Other than Mrs. Prince collects tiny shoes, I guess.

another 5 minutes...

William was confused. All this time, they'd been searching for answers, but... they hadn't needed them after all? (Okay I have no idea where I'm going with this xD) Answers... what are they but responses to questions? Can one count answers? (XD nonsensical ramblings now... welp, maybe time to start over >.>)

ack okay starting over...

Kim wielded the fork with incredible speed and strength. "Hii-yaa!" she yelled. The fork found its target and sunk into one of the eyes of the spaghetti monster. The monster let out a groan as its meatball eye was blinded, and it squelched backwards. It flopped around, grasping for the trio or more chairs for ammunition, but before it could do more damage, Peter sprinted in and tied up the monster with its spaghetti arms. William snuck behind it and sprinkled some of the powered powder over it, and with a final squelching sound, the monster shrunk down into a normal pile of spaghetti.
"Whew, I'm glad that's over." Peter wiped his forehead with his sleeve.
William nodded. "I think I'm going to be having nightmares of spaghetti now..."
"What are you guys talking about? That was fun!" Kim spun the fork between her fingers and William backed away.
mint, she/her

=D

243 Reviews

Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:10 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Day 6
@SpiritedWolfe introduced me to word crawls in the pad yesterday (thank you again!! =D) and so I found a neat Harry Potter themed one that I'll be trying throughout Camp NaNo! (This is the link to the first "year": https://www.wikiwrimo.org/wiki/Word_crawl/Extreme_HP_1)
This may or may not have also led me to spend an hour on wizardingworld.com taking quizzes to figure out my wand and patronus and stuff >.> but shh we won't talk about that xD
Spoiler! :
Though I will say that I'm a Ravenclaw and my patronus is a grey squirrel, for anyone interested :P

Anyways, I did get distracted today and ended up doing no writing, but I'm hopeful for a bright and early morning of writing tomorrow ^-^ maybe I'm going too easy on myself whoops >.> xD
mint, she/her

=D

243 Reviews

Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:09 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Day 7
So apparently I've gotten my Hogwarts letter (whoo!) and have stopped by Gringotts and Ollivander's wand shop~ I think I'm on my way to being a (hopefully awesome xD) witch! =D
Total word count: 959/20,000 (exceeded my 800-word goal for today-- yay!! ^-^ (though right now those words are a mess that I'll have to fix later xD))
mint, she/her

=D

243 Reviews

Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:25 am
Spearmint says...

oops I've been forgetting to update this for the past few days >.> anyways~

Day 8
I bought an owl and boarded the Hogwarts Express with a total of 1046 words written on that day! ^^ Overall total: 2,005/20,000 (over a tenth of the way there!)

Days 9, 10, and 11
Okay... I'll admit it... I've been lazy recently and haven't made much progress xD Hopefully I'll be able to get more done tomorrow though! =D
mint, she/her

=D

243 Reviews

Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:59 am
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Day 12
Made some progress today! (402 words) I just wrote a few random scenes ^^
Here's a little snippet that may or may not make sense: (my brain is tired oops xD)
Spoiler! :
The flask trembled and filled with neon-pink smoke. William hurriedly backed away and watched as the smoke swirled frantically and poured out of the top of the flask, filling the air around the table it was on. A deep voice boomed, "Who dares wake me from my slumber?"
William's eyes widened and he rushed to the doorway of the biology classroom, one step away from fleeing. But suddenly, the smoke cleared and revealed… a fish?
It was a fish in a luxury tracksuit, no less. William frowned and rubbed his eyes as the fish spoke again, in a more normal-pitched voice. "I said, who are you?" The fish crossed its fins impatiently.
"I-I…" William's mouth opened and closed like, well, a fish. But the mysterious pink smoke fish was not impressed.
"Cat got your tongue, eh? Pity. I don’t care much for 'em." The fish looked disapprovingly at William, then made a gesture with one of its fins. Pink smoke swirled out of William's mouth, coalesced briefly into an image of a cat, then yowled faintly and disappeared.
mint, she/her

=D

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:36 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

@Spearmint I love the descriptions in that snippet! So colourful :D

It was a fish in a luxury tracksuit, no less.

^ This line in particular made me smile really hard XD
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

243 Reviews

Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:25 pm
View Likes
Spearmint says...

Ahh thank you, @Liminality!! =D Hehe I'm glad that line made you smile!! ^-^ <333
mint, she/her

=D

243 Reviews

Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:52 am
Spearmint says...

Day 13
333 words today~ not a very high word count, but I've gotta appreciate the neatness xD
Another snippet here:
Spoiler! :
Kim looked down at the thing emotionlessly. “What is it?”
Frowning, Peter replied, “It looks like… some kind of frog, but it’s white, and there seems to be… writing on its back? Hmm... How strange.”
Suddenly William gasped. “The writing! It-it…” He trailed off as he stared at the back of the frog, which now read, “Who ya callin’ strange, peasant? Tsk tsk. What a bunch o’ fools.”
Kim raised an eyebrow. “Did that frog just insult us?”
“Oh yes I did! There’s more where that came from too, if y’all are dumb enough to call me names again,” replied the writing on the frog.
Peter held back an incredulous laugh as he bent down to examine the frog more closely. “Hey, your eyes are actually a different color… they’re kinda bluish, but in a weird wa- ow!” Peter clutched his face where the frog had slapped him with its tongue.
“I told ya not to call me weird, didn’t I?” scolded the writing.
Peter glared at the frog. “I didn’t mean it as an insult! Weird isn’t a bad thing-- I was just saying that your eyes are interesting.” He crossed his arms. “It’s not my fault you’re so sensitive.”
“H-hey, let’s just calm down, okay?” William waved his arms in a vaguely peace-making gesture and glanced at the frog. “We’d, um, just like to know more about you. It’s not every day we find a talking-- well, writing-- frog.”
The frog paused for a moment, then the writing changed to, “Alright. ‘Tis true that I’m quite unique indeed.” It seemed to puff up a little, then continued, “But if you want to learn more about me… I’m afraid that’s classified information.”

and yes, i realize i may be enjoying having my characters meet random human-ish animals a bit too much... >.>
mint, she/her

=D

Once you have read a book you care about, some part of it is always with you.
— Louis L'Amour