z

Young Writers Society

Camp 2021: Future Earth Story

311 Reviews

Reviews: 311
Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:31 am
View Likes
Riverlight says...

Note: I intend to semi-return to the site at the start of July, and so I have every intention of fulfilling my goal of 10,000 words in a month.

SO Far: 1,632 out of 10,000 (16.32%)

Project:
I've abandoned Belecthoria and Belecthorian-related writings entirely. I could care less about Belecthoria right now because I've come up with a fresh, new idea that I absolutely LOVE and can do anything I want with!

In an alternate world, an event known as "the Sundering" takes place, wiping out most human life. Centuries later, the world has rebuilt itself and mostly thrives, as the world pictured by our ancestors now exists-- advanced space colonization, flying cars, robot butlers, the whole nine yards. However, not all is well in paradise. Even within the utopia-esque New England, there are troubles stirring that have gone long ignored.The poorest of the poor feel ignored, while the richest of the rich feel that they deserve more. The disgruntled people on the edges of society are growing more discontent and spreading fear and hate, though for now it is slow and subtle. The nations of the modern world are ignorant to this, and now the time has come that they must pay a price for it. New England, Britannica, and the rest of the world are not ready for the imbalance that is to come.
Last edited by Riverlight on Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The politics of the world may be corrupt, but that does not mean that we must be corrupted ourselves.

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:23 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

10k in a month - 323 words per day - SUPER DOABLE!! Great goal!
Love a dystopia that mirrors current society. Do you know if it's young adult or adult or are you writing to write and not thinking about that? (no right or wrong) I'll be excited to hear more about this as you continue on! Good luck 💜
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

311 Reviews

Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:12 pm
View Likes
Riverlight says...

Carlito wrote:10k in a month - 323 words per day - SUPER DOABLE!! Great goal!
Love a dystopia that mirrors current society. Do you know if it's young adult or adult or are you writing to write and not thinking about that? (no right or wrong) I'll be excited to hear more about this as you continue on! Good luck 💜

Easy goals make time for everything else 8)

I think I'm leaning more towards adult with a mix of older and younger characters. It'll probably skew to either side at one point or another, but I can't say for sure if it'll be 100% one or the other.
The politics of the world may be corrupt, but that does not mean that we must be corrupted ourselves.

311 Reviews

Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:30 am
View Likes
Riverlight says...

Some updates on this project:

I have completed world-building two nations and decided on the main plot and underlying plots. My main character, Titus Philemon Winthrop the Third, is going to be a 35yo New Yorker that's struggling with depression and extreme pessimism following the loss of his wife in a terrorist attack several years ago. Despite being in therapy sessions, he doesn't feel like he's improved at all (especially since his sister makes him go). While writing his first journal entry as part of his new "treatment," his mother calls and tells him his father has been in an accident and that Titus needs to come to the hospital.

From here, I'm thinking that Titus is going to decide to take everything that he sees as "wrong" into his own hands because he's the only one that can see the bad. This story will follow his journey to heal as a broken person and find what good remains in the world despite obstacles.

311 Reviews

Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:02 pm
View Likes
Riverlight says...

I just noticed the PlanMo questions so I'm gonna do those real quick! ^-^

Prompt #1 - Worldbuilding
What world do your characters live in? A fantasy world? A sci-fi world? The real world? If in the real world - what place? What makes the world your characters live in unique? Describe in your thread what your world looks like.

My characters live in a futuristic real world. Following a nuclear war in 2019, the world had to basically reboot itself in many ways. Centuries later, society is booming, but there are still fundamental issues that exist-- stereotyping, religious persecution, partisanship, etc. Very much like Star Wars but also not at the same time.

Prompt #2 - The Beginning
Have a think about your opening scene. Write about what plot points will be hit and what information will be shared in your first scene, or first scene that you consider to be important.

In my first chapter, I will have Titus writing down in his journal for the first time. I'll be using these moments to help worldbuild, help show how Titus is changing internally as a character, and as a summary of the story so far. Additionally, Titus's mother will call to let him know that his father was in a vehicular accident and that Titus is needed immediately.

Prompt #3 - The Villain
Don't neglect your villain. We may spend less time with this character, but it is crucial to the existence of the plot that your character's opposition be as believable and interesting as possible. For this challenge, either write about your antagonist's aims, characteristics, flaws, fears etc or, if you're feeling musical, write a lament-style song for them.

I don't have a traditional villain for this story-- at least, not yet. Originally, I was going to have society act as the villain, in a manner of speaking-- the wrongs of society must be corrected, etc, etc. However, with what limited knowledge I have of my ideas for this, there will be examples of the villain in the flesh. I just haven't gotten that far yet! c:

Prompt #4 - Supporting Characters

Name: Mr. Abernathy
Height: 5'4"
Eye colour: pale gray
Physical appearance: tiny, thin old man that can hardly walk on his own; thin, wispy hair & beard
Strange or unique physical attributes: N/A
Favourite clothing style/outfit: Nursing home clothes
Where do they live? What is it like there? NYC Seniors Home
Defining gestures/movements: Smacking lips, moving jaw from side to side, saying "huh"
Things about their appearance they would most like to change: Nothing
Speaking style: See Abraham Simpson from The Simpsons
Pet peeves: High-pitched noises, dogs, loud "whippersnappers"
Fondest memory: Last days with deceased wife, Evalyn
Hobbies/interests: Walking with Titus
Special skills/abilities: N/A
Insecurities: Believes he is too old to be worth taking care of at times
Quirks/eccentricities: Seems to forget what he's talking about in the middle of his great "speeches" at times
Temperament: Naturally calm, though "yearning to break free" in the sense that there are times he wish he could care for himself
Negative traits: Self-depreciation, lack of self-care
Things that upset them. Spoons for unknown reasons
Things that embarrass them: When people remind him of various "battles" at the nursing home, such as the "Great Chicken Nugget War"
This character is highly opinionated about: Life and Philosophy
Any phobias? N/A
Things that make then happy: Peace and quiet, candy
Family (describe): N/A; last living relative was his wife who is deceased
Deepest, darkest secret: He pulled the plug on his wife at her request because she was in pain
Reason they have kept this secret for so long: He was ashamed to a point, but it was also illegal
Other people's opinions of this character: Generally seen as a crazy old man; Titus eventually builds respect for him, though
Favourite bands/songs/types of music: Prefers music from "Before the Sundering"
Favourite movies: N/A
Favourite TV shows: N.A
Favourite books: The Winds of the Valley, a fantasy book written for enjoyment by Christians. Follows the story of good vs evil as a middle-class family in the fictional world of Avalia struggle to survive during a plague.
Favourite foods: Fond of his "taters" and stews
Favourite sports/sports teams: N/A
Political views: "Politics is all a bunch of hooey. Don't go gettin' yourself mixed up in that mess, ya hear?"
Religion/philosophy of life: Christian; believes that all is forgiven by God immediately but that self-forgiveness and forgiveness from others is also important
Physical health: Relatively poor
Dream holiday: N/A
Description of their house: Undecided
Description of their room: Undecided
Any pets? No
Best thing that has ever happened to this character: Meeting his wife, Evalyn
Worst thing that has ever happened to this character: The Potato Salad War of '09
Superstitions: Puts a lot of stock into ancient superstitions-- hangs bottles in trees, avoids black cats
Three words to describe this character: Quirky, @startlitmind-incarnate
If a song played every time this character walked into a room, what song would it be? This song

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:19 am
Omni says...

Heyo, Scribe! You have always had a knack at worldbuilding, and this has definitely not been an exception! 10k is a great goal for starting off this story, especially if you still have a lot of worldbuilding and plotting to do. The world is intriguing, and I can't wait to see what you end up doing in that world.
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

311 Reviews

Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:15 am
Riverlight says...

Chapter 1 is out!

311 Reviews

Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:47 am
View Likes
Riverlight says...

So like... I actually need to update this XD

I have published two chapters. Together, they have 3,078 words-- that's 30.78%, nearly a third of the way through my goal, and 1,786 words ahead of where I'm supposed to be. But that's just what's published. I am currently working on chapter three, which so far brings me to 35.31% (3,531 words).

I would take a break, but I'm on a role! Somehow, I am successfully balancing this, RPing, and real life! I actually had no idea that was possible, but apparently it is. I'd like to thank everyone for the support so far, and I'd also like to thank everyone that's provided reviews. I've had nothing but helpful feedback, and I have high hopes for this storyline.

311 Reviews

Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:22 am
View Likes
Riverlight says...

I've been writing, I'm just bad at updating this ;-;

311 Reviews

Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:10 pm
View Likes
Riverlight says...

Okay, so, I accidentally hit 5,000 words today. XD I'm up-ing my goal to 15,000 so that part of my brain starts to slow down and I might actually not reach it. I want to challenge myself.

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:18 am
View Likes
Liminality says...

Great work on your writing @TheScribe! I like the detail in your character profiles - I can picture the characters very clearly from your descriptions. Good luck reaching your goals!
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

311 Reviews

Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:01 am
Riverlight says...

Thanks @Liminality!

311 Reviews

Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:35 am
Riverlight says...

I am officially making this story non-canon for literary purposes.

mashed potatoes are v a l i d
— Liminality