July 2021: GroundskeeperWIP Revisions

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:23 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

the project: the many buried things of peter shaughnessy

Peter Shaughnessy is more than two hundred years old and ready to die. Unfortunately, he can't: a youthful encounter with one o' them left him with a curse: to wander eternally far from home.

Now Peter wanders from town to town, ridding each place that calls to him of troublesome ghosts. Once, he was certain ridding the right town of the right ghost in the right way would break his curse—surely that's why immortality came with a side order of being able to see and understand spirits no one else knows are there. After a century of dispelling dangerous ghosts, he's stopped expecting his exploits to win him the death he desires, but he continues his ghost-hunting nonetheless: helping people gives his life some semblance of purpose, and leaving town when his work is done ensures that he never gets to know anyone too well or care about them too much.

Enter Harrington, Ohio. For the first time in more than a century, Peter finds himself wanting something other than death. A family. A community.

But he knows the people of Harrington will die someday. And he won't.

Afraid of the emotional danger he'll face if he stays, Peter decides to leave Harrington - but an angry spirit is determined to destroy the town, and Peter's the only one who can stop it.

the goal: revise

Do I know how much I want to revise? Do I know how far I want to get? N O P E.

All I know is that ideally I'll be done with my first round of revisions by September. Or, you know, hopefully perhaps sometime in September lol. I D E A L L Y by September, because I have a lot going on this fall and it'd be good if I could just yeet the second draft at beta-readers and then forget about it while I work on all my other stuff.

So theoretically, it'd be aces to get 50,000 words added to the new draft.

...but I'm not holding myself firmly to that, because life #amiright.

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:18 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

We love a character named Peter đź’ś
Okay but I love this premise and I while it feels weird to say I want Peter to die.... I WANT PETER TO EITHER FIND A WAY TO HAVE A COMMUNITY IN OHIO OR DIE JUST LIKE HE WANTS.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:58 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

@Carlito shhhhhhhhh looking ahead to the end of the story legit the original two ways I thought it could end were real depresso but now it ends a different way than either of those two ways, so make of that what you will XD

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:07 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

CONSIDER ME INTRIGUED!!
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:48 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

journal challenge 1: world-building

What world do your characters live in? A fantasy world? A sci-fi world? The real world? If in the real world - what place? What makes the world your characters live in unique? Describe in your thread what your world looks like.

GroundskeeperWIP takes place in a fictional small town in Northwest Ohio in more-or-less present day. Most of the history of the town comes from real NW Ohio history, so think 1830s onward, being "West" but people also going West, cholera outbreaks because swamp, lots of farmland.

However, there are also ghosts! The groundskeeper can sense all ghosts. Most people can sense most ghosts up until around the age of 8, at which point the number drops off sharply; many people can still sense more powerful entities up until the age of 10; after age 12, very few people sense any ghosts at all unless the ghost actually manifests.

(On that note, most ghosts have no physical form. Only the most powerful ghosts can take form at all, and not all the time, as it's quite the energy expenditure. Ghosts are usually sensed more as sensations and smells.)

There's also lowkey plant magic, which is even rarer than sensing ghosts. The groundskeeper can talk to plants, and most of his plant magic is simply done through talking to them. A 15yo boy in the story also has plant magic, but he's unaware of it and it's undeveloped.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:03 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

journal challenge 2: the beginning

Have a think about your opening scene. Write about what plot points will be hit and what information will be shared in your first scene, or first scene that you consider to be important.

I'm considering moving the first scene with the Ghost up to the beginning to serve as a prologue, but I'm not sold on this idea, especially because I love the current opening: the groundskeeper shows up in Harrington, OH; no one's sure who hired him, but everyone assumes it was someone else, so they shrug collectively and accept him.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:55 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

journal challenge 3: the villain

Don't neglect your villain. We may spend less time with this character, but it is crucial to the existence of the plot that your character's opposition be as believable and interesting as possible. For this challenge, either write about your antagonist's aims, characteristics, flaws, fears etc or, if you're feeling musical, write a lament-style song for them.

The villain of GroundskeeperWIP is the ghost of a man who died too young in 1851, miserable, angry, and nearly alone after the deaths two years earlier of his wife and daughter.

His family died in the 1849 cholera epidemic; then the bank foreclosed on their home and business (the old general store), barely a year after their deaths. He became increasingly unpleasant, to the point where he could no longer find work because no one wanted to work with him. He lived in a room in the old Hodinka boarding house (now the Hodinka-Kopzcyk Boarding House Museum) and was allowed to stay despite nonpayment of rent only because Anne Hodinka believed it was her Christian duty to help a neighbor in need, no matter how unpleasant said neighbor might be.

(Her husband, John, disagreed, and absolutely would've evicted their dour tenant if not for Anne.)

The man fell sick and was soon unable to leave his room. The Hodinkas' young daughter cared for him despite her father's warnings to stay away, and so did Anne, but he died in 1851 and was buried cheaply near the cholera plots in the cemetery, both because it was the cheapest option and left him to rest nearer his wife and daughter.

However, he did not rest. He held onto the anger he carried through life with him and returned as a vengeful spirit. For several years after his death, the town experienced bad luck, especially whoever owned the old general store, although the building itself was never harmed.

The boarding house was the only place in town that the bad luck passed over.

Eventually, due to the connections between the general store, the boarding house, and the man, the bad luck of the town, the particular bad luck of the store's new owners, the better luck of the boarding house, the townsfolk realized what was going on and who the ghost was. A recently emigrated elder who knew the old stories told them how to trap his spirit.

He blames the town for most of his troubles and seeks revenge.

He blames the groundskeeper for the rest.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:59 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

journal challenge 4: supporting characters

Fill out the following questionnaire from the NaNo site about at least one of your side characters, though the more you do the more prepared you will be.

All right, we're doing this for David Schwertner, aka the love interest.

Spoiler! :
Name: David Edward Schwertner
Age: ~65-70 no I did not decide on specific ages for anyone but the children in this novel
Height: 5'9 when he was younger, probably a bit shorter now because he's older
Eye colour: gray
Physical appearance:

“Are you all right?” the voice repeated.

It belonged to a little old white man in a brightly striped waistcoat and shirtsleeves and galoshes, with a sky-blue backpack over his shoulders and a pencil stuck behind his ear. He looked around the age people usually thought the groundskeeper was: maybe seventy or so, with laughter lines around his gray eyes and thick white hair that had once been golden like his eyelashes. He seemed to shine in the sunlight, or perhaps that was the groundskeeper’s eyes still working to balance out images in the bright light.

Strange or unique physical attributes: golden eyelashes, gray eyes, laughter lines
Favourite clothing style/outfit: slacks, a button-down shirt, a colorful waistcoat, and a bowtie
Where do they live? What is it like there? Harrington, OH, quintessential American small town
Defining gestures/movements: David runs his hands through his hair a lot
Things about their appearance they would most like to change: David's pretty happy with his appearance, although when he was younger he wished he was taller.
Speaking style: still not sure what this means, but educated, I guess? idk fam I literally don't know what this means and never have
Pet peeves: People who willfully get history wrong or ignore important situations, attitudes, contexts, etc or who try to paint history as this idealistic Good Old Days rather than engaging with the bad things.
Fondest memory: He and Isaiah were walking in the park one day when it started to rain. He had not brought an umbrella because he was certain the weather would hold; Isaiah had. Isaiah pulled him close and held the umbrella over both of them as they walked.
Hobbies/interests: all things history
Special skills/abilities: historical knowledge, especially local, and research
Insecurities: Not many at this point in his life, or at least not many that really keep him from going after what he wants. Sometimes he worries he's too much for people, but then he remembers that if someone thinks he's too much, that person's not for him anyway.
Quirks/eccentricities: The man loves waistcoats and bowties and always wears colorful, patterned ones.
Temperament: Generally cheerful and outgoing.
Negative traits: Tries to pretend he's fine when he's not; can prioritize history over people; doesn't get angry much but has a quick temper when he does.
Things that upset them: Things he can't understand.
Things that embarrass them: Not much, tbh, but he does get selectively embarrassed, e.g. his embarrassment when the groundskeeper - who's great with plants and keeps a beautiful garden - sees the chaotic, overgrown garden at his house. (I mean, the groundskeeper obviously loves a chaotic, overgrown garden, but David still gets lowkey embarrassed about it.)
This character is highly opinionated about: Family doesn't mean blood.
Any phobias? None to speak of.
Things that make then happy: His friends, the good bits of his family, history, carnivals, and popcorn.
Family (describe): Older of two siblings. Estranged from parents. Sibling (brother) more accepting but still doesn't really understand him. Close with his niblings but doesn't see them often because they live far away.
Deepest, darkest secret:

He has really been struggling since Isaiah got sick. Prior to Isaiah's death, he was constantly sick with worry and prioritized taking care of Isaiah over taking care of himself to the point that he started losing weight and getting sick himself. After Isaiah's death, it's been hard for him to look at pictures of Isaiah, hard for him to spend time at the now-empty house, hard for him to talk to other people about Isaiah. He acts like he's fine, most of the time, but inside is a constant gnawing ache he's been living with for well over a year at this point. In particular, since Isaiah's death, David feels like he doesn't belong in Harrington. Like Isaiah was the only reason he ever belonged there.

Reason they have kept this secret for so long:

Aside from a deep-seated need to always appear cheerful and friendly - and aside from a deep desire that no one should ever worry themselves on his account - David has said nothing to anyone because he knows perfectly well that his sudden feeling of non-belonging has nothing to do with anyone but him. He doesn't want to hurt his friends and neighbors by making them feel like he feels out of place because of them; no one has said or done anything to make him feel like he doesn't belong. It's just that it's hard to feel like you belong somewhere when your whole way of existing there has changed.

Other people's opinions of this character: People generally either like David a lot or think he's too much.
Favourite bands/songs/types of music: Big band jazz, movie classics.
Favourite movies: Anything that plays on TCM.
Favourite TV shows: Prefers movies to TV shows but enjoys Frasier.
Favourite books: Mostly reads nonfiction historical books.
Favourite foods: Loves a good comfort food or else something bright and fresh, like salad or sashimi, nothing in between.
Favourite sports/sports teams: Doesn't much follow sports but enjoys a good baseball game in person now and then.
Political views: Progressive
Religion/philosophy of life: Recovering Catholic; largely a skeptic but believes in the goodness of people.
Physical health: Reasonably good, especially considering his age. Some arthritis and stiffness.
Dream vacation: Anywhere by a large body of water where he can relax and take his time, e.g. Savannah, Mackinac Island.
Description of their house:

It was a slate-blue craftsman-style house with white trim. There was a large arched window in front on the right, and a deep-set porch on the left with two white wicker armchairs and a little glass table beside the front door. The garden was small but pleasantly overgrown, with flowers poking up, pink, gold, violet, disordered and planted every which way. David’s ears pinkened when he caught the groundskeeper looking at it.

Description of their room: Small and tidy, pale peachy walls, cream bedspread that looks really cozy and comfy, two small bedside tables with lamps, an armchair in the corner, a couple wall shelves with books, an oil painting of a boy in old-fashioned clothing reading under a tree.
Any pets? Nope.
Best thing that has ever happened to this character: meeting Isaiah
Worst thing that has ever happened to this character: Isaiah's death
Superstitions: David would say he doesn't have any, but despite the fact that he's a recovering Catholic he'll still sometimes cross himself when he's somewhere creepy or if he sees something worrisome or if there's a near miss, like if a car crash almost happens right in front of him but the cars miss each other he'll cross himself, or if he's walking through the park alone at night and hears a spooky sound he'll cross himself.
Three words to describe this character: Cheerful, soft, stubborn
If a song played every time this character walked into a room, what song would it be? I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch) by the Four Tops, and he'd probably dance along to it as he entered

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:16 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

journal challenge 5: the PLOT

Two alternatives for outlining your plot: 1. Draw them as a graph, 2. Write a list of everything important that happens and in the margins make note of what happens in between.

Lol BOLD OF YOU to think I have a plot setup ready for Draft 2 yet :sobs:

It'd be GREAT to have a new outline or synopsis ready to go for July, but I think at least part of the month is going to be dedicated to planning the revision rather than actually revising, rip me.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:56 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

journal challenge 6: the STRUCTURE

Think of at least one way in which the structure of your story could be interesting. You don't necessarily have to use this in your story, but it can be useful to have a think about if it's something that just hadn't occurred to you.

GroundskeeperWIP may or may not get a prologue? Currently there's this chapter that comes fourth but isn't chapter four because it's "an interlude," and it's from the ghost's perspective. A friend said it could be a good spooky prologue. I'm toying with the idea, but I'm just not sure how I feel about it. I so love my current opening and I think it's more unique than this chapter, but I do also feel a need to bring in the ghost's perspective early on.

But I do also have a chapter where we get more of the ghost because of another character, so I'm wondering if that'll do.

Idkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:03 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

journal challenge 7: plot holes & feedback

Post a brief outline of your plot. Then go around other people's threads or club posts to look at their outlines, asking questions and suggesting plot holes that the author might want to correct.

Lol okay well once again I don't have an actual outline done, so I'm going to post like,,,things to think about as I come up with a revision plan.

• a need to balance the living people having moments & doing their work within the cemetery with the progression of spooky things AND the spirit not being discovered until later in the story
  • why does the groundskeeper immediately latch onto the back lot as the ghost's location in the first place? it could theoretically be elsewhere in the cemetery, and even if he rules that out by wandering around, it could theoretically be anywhere in town
  • what is the groundskeeper's normal process for finding a ghost and figuring out its identity? how important is it that he figures out its identity? how does he normally get rid of it - destroy it? help it move on? either way, how?
  • can all kids see all ghosts? only the most powerful ghosts? only certain kids? only kids of a certain age?
  • how far can the average ghost go from their grave or whatever other location they may be bound to? on that note, if a ghost isn't bound to their grave/remains, what are they bound to, and why that instead of the grave?
  • what can a powerful ghost do to a town?

Current Chapters & Potential Reordering

Current Chapters
1. The groundskeeper comes to town
2. The Local Kids™ meet the groundskeeper
3. The groundskeeper meets David
An interlude: There's an angry ghost in the back lot
4. Everyone is bonding!
5. Oh no, not BONDING
6. Let's talk ghosts and bond more without admitting that that's what we're doing
7. A new angle for the ghost hunt
8. Futile research + is this *gestures in butterfly meme* character growth?
9. Samira's friend, the ghost
10. David returns
11. David breaks his leg
12. Neveah is possessed
13. Peter tells Neveah about ghosts
14. More fruitful research
15. The children are fine, but everyone is sad
16. A hidden room in the boarding house
17. Backstory and panic attacks
18. Uh-oh, Peter loves the children
19. The Big Reveal™
20. Panic! at the Boarding House
21. Peter can't find the grave
22. Everyone goes to the carnival
23. Midsummer Eve
24. Peter finds Eoin's grave too late
25. How Samira freed the ghost
26. The ghost has Samira
27. Peter faces the ghost and gets his butt kicked
28. The ghost goes into the light (or whatever)
29. Peter is okay but still leaving
30. Peter stays

Potential Reordering (enspoilered for length)

Spoiler! :
potential prologue: A spring storm that shifts and resettles the headstones in the cemeteries awakens an angry spirit.
ch. 1: Peter arrives in Harrington and meets Neveah, the director of the cemetery. The ghost of her father lingers nearby, but when a panic attack triggers an episode of spectral spookiness, Peter hustles Neveah out of the caretaker's cottage.
ch. 2: That night, Peter meets Sayid and Samira al-Masri when they break into the cemetery after hours. Samira runs off; Peter finds her in the cemetery's spooky back lot, where cholera victims from the 1840s and 1850s are buried. When the children's parents worry over Samira's recent tendency to run away, Peter offers to watch the children any time they'd like to visit the cemetery, provided it's during open hours.
ch. 3: Peter heads back to the back lot to get a feel for the spirits back there and to see if he can find any ghosts he should be worried about: it's definitely older and creepier back there than in the rest of the cemetery. Instead of a spirit, however, he finds David Schwertner, a local historian interested in cataloguing the cholera graves. They have lunch together when David finishes his work for the day.

ch. 4:
ch. 5: something something bonding
ch. 6: something something ghosts & research
ch. 7:

ch. 8: (~30k) David breaks his leg while in the back lot of the cemetery. Peter panics, convinced a ghost is involved, but later on worries that his panic is a sign that he's in too deep - especially since, upon reflection, it seems very unlikely a ghost had anything to do with it.
ch. 9: Peter is preparing to leave town when Neveah calls: she's in a field off Route 2 and has no idea how she got there. Peter knows, however: a ghost rode her out there. He brings her home, resigning himself to stay in Harrington despite the danger to his heart; he can't leave the town at the mercy of a powerful ghost.
ch. 10: When Neveah worries that her misadventure was the result of the first bad dissociative episode she's had in a while, Peter tells her the truth about ghosts, her father, and the ghost he's looking for.

ch. 11: something something Samira's
ch. 12: friends with the ghost?

ch. 13: (~50k) As Harrington grows uneasier about the spooky happenings around town, Peter tries to discover the ghost's identity. Then Yafa calls: the children are missing. [This could maybe come right after ch. 10? But also I wanted it around the 50k mark. But also it was fine slightly after the 50k mark (ch. 14, now ch. 15) where it was before. But also I'm not sure anymore because! Structural changes!]
ch. 14: Peter rushes to the al-Masris' house, but the children come home soon after: Samira ran off, and Sayid went to find her. Samira exchanges sharp words with her mother, hurt and angry about her parents' near-constant absence in recent months. Peter comforts both of them and gives Samira an iron band to wear before he leaves: he's sure she'll run off again and doesn't want her to be without protection from ghosts when she does.
ch. 15: Lurking through the museum, Isaiah finds the boarded-up bedroom in which the unknown E.S. likely died & helps David find the room through his spectral activity. [this is a candidate for cutting even though I ADORE it and Isaiah, because David tells Peter how he found the room anyhow and Peter would obviously put two and two together]

ch. 16: As Midsummer - and the anniversary of his curse and exile from Ireland - draws closer, Peter experiences worse panic attacks, more frequent flashbacks, and greater anxiety over his inability to find the spirit haunting Harrington. David calls him to tell him about the hidden room during one such episode. Recognizing Peter's distress, David invites him over and calms him during another, less intense panic attack. Peter flees after they share a moment.
ch. 17: Later that night, Yafa brings the children by and asks Peter to watch them while she goes to the hospital: the staff doesn't think her father will make it through the night. As Peter cares for the children, he realizes he loves them like they're his own.
ch. 18: Once again, Peter prepares to leave town, more desperately than before: he loves these people too much. If he stays, he'll only get hurt. As he packs his things, David calls to tell him he's discovered the identity of E.S.: Eoin Shaughnessy - though David doesn't know it, Peter's younger brother.
ch. 19: Neveah takes Peter to the museum to see the room and Eoin's belongings. All thought of leaving Harrington is gone: now that he knows the spirit he's been looking for is that of his brother, Peter can't leave, no matter the danger to himself. As he spirals in Eoin's room and Neveah helps him calm down, he has to admit to himself that it's nice to have friends there to take care of him, for once.
ch. 20: Peter tells Neveah about his curse but is frustrated by his own inability to answer so many of her questions about it. The spectral activity around Harrington escalates, but Peter still can't find his brother's spirit. Eoin won't answer when he calls out for him.

[There might also be the first night of SummerFest in here? But I do NOT need a 4,000-word chapter of Peter at SummerFest with all his friends lolsob. He just needs a picture with David, which could really come from an earlier point in the story as well.]

ch. 21: Midsummer Eve. As Harrington celebrates SummerFest, Peter works feverishly to make sure he and his friends will be safe through the weekend.
ch. 22: Things start to get spooky downtown. Peter has shut himself in for the weekend when Sayid comes pounding on his door: Samira is missing. In searching for her, they finally find Eoin's grave - and evidence that Samira freed him.
ch. 23: Flashback to earlier that evening, showing how Samira freed the ghost and afterward tried - and failed - to stop him upon realizing what a colossal mistake it was to free him.
ch. 24: Peter and Sayid find Samira - and her panicked parents - downtown, but the ghost has taken over her body. Peter drags the al-Masris to the museum and asks Isaiah to keep them and David safe.
ch. 25: Peter goes out to meet the ghost, who is just as angry with him as he as with Harrington: Eoin's life fell apart when his brother left Ireland. Peter shields the rest of the town from Eoin's rage with his body. After all, no matter what the ghost does to him, he cannot die.

ch. 26: Despite Peter and Isaiah's best efforts, Eoin infiltrates the museum. Everyone fights him off as best they can without harming Samira. Peter distracts Eoin with an old photo of a little girl who was one of the few people to show him kindness at the end of his miserable life. By getting his brother to remember the girl's kindness and then the love of his family - rather than the pain of losing them - Peter convinces Eoin to move on. Then he collapses.
ch. 27: Peter wakes up in the hospital after several weeks, with all his friends by his side. They have questions; he tells them all about the curse, his immortality, and his brother. David is angry when Peter tells him privately that he's leaving Harrington as soon as he's discharged. David storms out; Peter tells no one else about his plans to leave, in case they leave him first.
ch. 28: Fully recovered and out of the hospital, Peter prepares to leave Harrington, even though he aches to be doing so. As he finds more and more things his friends gave him among his possessions while packing, the idea of leaving them hurts more and more. At last, Peter abandons packing and walks to David's house, where he kisses David and admits he wants to stay. As they head in to breakfast together, Isaiah's spirit departs the museum.

okay shoot
okay things I want to happen, but WHEN they need to happen is now up in the air because,,,structural changes

- Peter bonds with the children when come by the cemetery after school and end up doing homework at the caretaker's cottage (this could maybe move to the library bc he could be doing research? some of it would have to change rip me but?) In this same chapter (originally), there was also a nice moment with David and Neveah, and the chapter ended with Neveah's dad being like "please convince her to go to therapy and talk about my death" but Peter's like "??? why would she listen to me???" and Neveah's dad gently suggests that they're friends and Peter's like a little angry about it
- in response to that last bit above, Peter tries to distance himself from his new friends, which he is minimally successful at lol but it culminates in him yelling at Samira
- miserable and unwilling to push people away after hurting Samira like that, Peter bonds with David as he does more ghost research; later, Sayid comes pounding at his door because Samira has run off. Peter finds her in the back lot of the cemetery (of course) and they reconcile
- Peter and David share a moment; later, David asks Peter out, but Peter turns him down, even though he likes him, because obviously he has to draw a line SOMEWHERE or he'll simply hurt someday when they all die and he doesn't. in between these two events, Peter goes clothes shopping with Nevean and learns about the town's ghost story from her, and also he experiences the memories of a ghost in the store they go to (I was thinking last night maybe the old general store is actually a mom-and-pop grocery store now EXCEPT wouldn't Peter go to the store like,,,first thing upon getting to town? unless he meets someone there like that first weekend since the first two chapters are the same day, like he meets David there instead of at the cemetery? hmm)
- to distract himself from David's absence after he turns David down, Peter turns to his research. he runs into the al-Masris at the library, but Samira is doing a Big Sad™ because her mom finally took her to see her granddad at the hospital and he's doing bad and barely recognizes any of them. mom invites Peter to dinner; initially he turns her down, but when she leaves her book behind at the library he brings it back to her and ends up having dinner with them anyway <3
- after like a week or so David returns like "yo I'm sorry I took off for a while, I was bummed out about being rejected but I value your friendship and I don't want to lose it just because I asked for something different" and he brings Peter one of Isaiah's notebooks bc Isaiah took copious notes on this old diary they have, and he figures maybe the woman who wrote it recorded something that might help Peter with his research
- a chapter where we see Samira sneaking off to see her friend, the ghost - I mean I guess TECHNICALLY we could not have this or the chapter where we see her free him? but I think it's necessary. I mean I could maybe??? just hint??? at her like. idk. I'm not sure other than having her constantly be in the cemetery how I would hint at her making friends with the ghost prior. I think for now I want to keep both these chapters, and then I'll see what readers say and I can cut them later and refigure this if need be.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:55 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

journal challenge 8: key scenes

Give a rough outline of the key moment in your story so far. What is that one scene you're really, really excited to write?

Actually skipping this because all the scenes are already written; I just have to reconfigure them. Prompt 7 was my big one for this story.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:29 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

journal challenge 9: the protagonist

Really dig into your main character. Write their motives and what is holding them back. What is the conflict in their way from reaching their desired goal?

Motives: Peter wants to help people; it gives his long and pointless life some meaning. Specifically, at this moment, he wants to find the powerful spirit he suspects is hiding somewhere in Harrington.

Ideally, he'd also love to break his curse lol but he doesn't have the first clue how to and isn't convinced it can be done.

He also wants to shield himself from the pain of losing people, which is why he travels from town to town to help people by banishing troublesome ghosts, rather than staying in one place and helping one set of people: since he's immortal, the pain of losing people is eternal. When the people he cares about die, he knows he'll never follow them.

He's already been through that once. He won't go through it again.

...aaaaaaaand then the people of Harrington make him go and fall in love with them lolsob. Which pits his well-being against theirs: If he stays, he's in danger of losing his heart.

If he goes, they're in danger of losing their lives.

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:31 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

journal prompt 10: questions

Questions! Post some questions in your entry, then, since is the end of the journal, go round other finished journals answering questions with your thoughts. This month is likely to lead to different realisations for different people, or maybe some people are more experienced with NaNo than others. Either way, we are sure that if you ask a question of the YWS hivemind, the YWS hivemind will answer.

So obviously I already asked some questions of myself doing Prompt 8, but to reiterate...here are some questions I need to figure out.

• what is the groundskeeper's normal process for finding a ghost and figuring out its identity? how important is it that he figures out its identity? how does he normally get rid of it - destroy it? help it move on? either way, how?
  • can all kids see all ghosts? only the most powerful ghosts? only certain kids? only kids of a certain age?
  • how far can the average ghost go from their grave or whatever other location they may be bound to? on that note, if a ghost isn't bound to their grave/remains, what are they bound to, and why that instead of the grave?
  • what can a powerful ghost do to a town?
  • how HOW does all that early stuff happen now that those three chapters are moving up in the story???????

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:39 am
View Likes
Omni says...

We have a title~~~ We have a title now!

Blue, those 50k words are going down! You have shown so much passion for this project, and now that you have that title, nothing's gonna stop you! except maybe life, but shhhh

also, :eyes: @ the beta reading. Gay things... yes. Ghosts... considered me interested :D
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

Irresponsibly-conceived assignments don't deserve responsibly-executed complies.
— Persistence