WHEN I WAS ANNA

*ya contemporary romance

*rivals to lovers

*secret romance

*marching band

*a new version of an older idea!!

CURRENTLY: 6705 words

GOAL: write at least 30,000 words

you might have read an older version of this on yws before!! it's getting a total makeover and what i've done so far i really like!!
*but i have to finish my dark corners bright spaces revisions before i'm allowed to touch this*
Last edited by Carlito on Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Ask a Therapist!
I want to beta read your novel!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

1162 Reviews

Reviews: 1162
Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:43 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

What WHEN I WAS ANNA used to be:
Spoiler! :
Marching band season is here, and 16-year-old Summer is hoping to drum her way to the band’s victory. She needs to use this year to prove to her band directors that she’s the perfect person to choose as the next drumline section leader. More than anything, she’s hoping that drum major Micah notices she exists. She’s had a crush on him all summer, but her crippling social anxiety keeps her from being able to say more than a few words to him.

When Summer learns about an app called Chat With Me, she realizes there’s a way to get to know Micah without all of the anxiety-provoking social interaction she dreads, and she creates the persona Anna Blackwell. Summer may see Micah every day at school, but it’s not until she’s home and under her Anna disguise that she talks to him in secret about things she would never have the courage to say in person. He’s so easy to talk to, and before long they’re both sharing secrets hidden from even their real-life friends, like the fact that she has alopecia and wears a wig to school every day.

All she wanted was a low pressure way to get to know Micah without her anxiety getting in the way. But the more she gets to know Micah as Anna, the more she likes him and the more she worries about how she’s going to come clean. Micah wants to meet Anna Blackwell, and she’s running out of excuses. Her friends are suspicious, her performance in band is slipping and threatening her chance at section leader, and if she wants a real shot at a relationship, she’s going to have to tell him the truth and hope he can look past her lie.

Catfish: The TV Show meets Tweet Cute (Emma Lord) in WHEN I WAS ANNA, a YA contemporary romance told in a mix of prose and the online conversations between Summer and Micah.

I won't be able to write a new pitch until I get a little farther in my rewrite because that's how my brain works. BUT, the basic feel for what the new version is goes something like this:

It's marching band season. Summer and Micah are both juniors who play snare on the drumline. They've had a fierce rivalry for years and this year they are competing for who will become the drumline section leader next year. The decision will come down to a few things:
1. Who does the current section leader (Taylor) think will be most suitable for the job? (based on performance in the current marching band season)
2. Who earns a higher chair placement for the concert band season following marching band season? (the audition for this is in a few months)

Summer has social anxiety but is confident about ONE thing: drumline. She's nervous that Micah will impress Taylor more because he's a lot more confident and outgoing than she is. And after they get their audition music, she's nervous that he's going to beat her at that too. So she decides to catfish him! She creates Anna Blackwell and starts messaging him, thinking that maybe this online relationship will distract him from the audition. But then she accidentally falls for him. OOPS. And Micah is doing his own thing to try and distract her from the audition, and it's just a big old mess!

It's lighthearted and fun, and I'm hoping for more of a rom com feel than a contemporary romance feel! I don't do character charts or lots of planning before I start, but I've known Summer and Micah for a long time now so I'm happy to answer questions! 💜

Ask a Therapist!

Ask me anything. Talk to me about anything. Seriously. My PM box is always open <3

1485 Reviews

Reviews: 1485
Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:33 pm
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

you might have read an older version of this on yws before!!

stop making me feel old

but seriously excited you've picked this one back up!

1162 Reviews

Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:23 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

@IcyFlame you're not allowed to feel old unless you read the original Liz+Zac or one of the novels before that one :p

💜💜

Ask a Therapist!

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:06 am
View Likes
BluesClues says...

@Carlito therefore I'M allowed to feel old XD

1485 Reviews

Reviews: 1485
Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:01 pm
View Likes
IcyFlame says...

Oh I read original L&Z too xD

542 Reviews

Reviews: 542
Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:12 pm
View Likes
Liminality says...

Ooh refreshing an old idea sounds fun! I really like that collage aesthetic too. It's got so much energy, and you can really tell it's rivals-to-lovers from that top left pic XD
she/her

Have you met my friend, The Story Review Template?

1162 Reviews

Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:12 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

WEEK ONE GOAL:
So even though I said my goal is 30k of When I Was Anna i'm still working on dark corners bright spaces revisions because it never ends!

Week one will be a challenge because it's a holiday week and I'm traveling!
I'm going to *attempt* to do some Dark Corners revisions AND some Anna writing during camp, but Dark Corners takes precedent because I'm trying to query at some point this year!

Dark Corners goal: Finish Ch. 9 & 11 polish
Anna goal: 1500 words (500 per day)

Ask a Therapist!

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:59 am
View Likes
Omni says...

Carlito! I've heard that name before! And your progress on Dark Corners (such a cool title) is awesome. You got this on querying, and kudos to you for tackling two projects at once! 30k words is quite a lot (not even including your revisions) but you got this! I'll be rooting for ya!!
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

1735 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1735
Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:01 pm
View Likes
BluesClues says...

@Carlito yesssssss join me and together we shall RULE THE GALAXY wait no uh uh I mean together we shall COMPLETE OUR REVISIONS

1162 Reviews

Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:15 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Day One:

Dark Corners revision progress: nada today, probably shouldn't do both novels on the same day.

Anna progress: 788 words

Favorite line of the day:

I started with some Anna words right after midnight because WHY NOT. The next three days are going to be busy in real life, so I need to capitalize on any little moment I get :)

Now that I've woken up this morning, I'm thinking it might be easier to not work on both projects in the same day because they have different vibes and feels. But we'll see! It's raining this morning and I got some writing in before my morning meetings!

I'm glad I did because I knew today would be busy!! After work, husband and I had a dinner with a coworker that and we sat and chatted for a long time. Got home and I needed to finish tidying up the house before we leave for the weekend and did 0 additional writing.

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:15 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Day Two:

Dark Corners revision progress: Finished polishing Ch. 9 AND Ch. 11.

Anna progress: not today

Favorite line of the day:
There are so many little chunks I'm proud of and love in Dark Corners!!
Ch. 9
“Girl.” Was all she had to say as Peter drove away, her eyes bugging out of her head. “Who was that?”
“No one.” I fiddled with my house key.
“He didn’t look like no one.” She taunted as we kicked off our shoes and set our bags down. “Girl spill the beans. You missed the bus and everything!”
“It’s nothing, I promise.”
“Sure it’s not.” She smirked.

And this part. (spoilered for f-bombs)
Ch. 11
Spoiler! :

My brain short-circuited. Who the fuck was this guy? What happened to rude, arrogant Peter who was inconvenienced by my very existence? Peter wasn’t supposed to invite me to his house, and tell me about his family, and ask about my family, and compliment me. That wasn’t our standard operating procedure. He was supposed to sigh and roll his eyes and hate the very air I breathed.

These first few days of camp will be TESTS for me. Husband and I are traveling to my parent's this weekend for 4th of July (6 hour drive). YOU BETCHA I'LL BE NANOING IN THE CAR. But I'm also getting some revising in before we leave. (I did like two paragraphs and then decided to research agents instead ope).

BUT FINISHED A TWO WHOLE CHAPTERS IN THE CAR.
PEACE AND BLESSINGS TO ME.

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:01 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

Day Three

Dark corners revision progress: not today

Anna progress: 239 words right before I went to bed!
Total for Nano: 1027

I knew this day would be my most challenging of the week. I'm at my parents house and we spent most of the day with my extended family celebrating the 4th of July. I didn't get a chance to write much until after we got home and shortly before I went to bed. BUT AT LEAST I WROTE SOMETHING.

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:06 pm
View Likes
Carlito says...

WEEK TWO GOAL

I got pretty close to my week one goal! Would have made it had I wrote a little yesterday morning before festivities started up, but oh well. It's never the wrong decision to spend more time with family!! (that you love and get along with)

Even though today is a holiday, I don't have a lot on the agenda other than fireworks tonight. Then we're traveling back home tomorrow and I plan to repeat my car revision success story. Short work week this week!!

Dark Corners goal: finish Ch. 13, 15, 17, 19, & 21 polish. Rewrite Ch. 2 & 4
Anna goal: write 3000 words (bringing my month total to 4000)

Ask a Therapist!

1162 Reviews

Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:04 am
View Likes
Carlito says...

Day Four

Dark Corners revision progress: worked on finishing chapter 13, but it's not quite finished yet

Anna progress: not today

See in theory, with very little on the agenda at my parent's house, I could have done a ton of bookish things. But I lazed around most of the day and didn't accomplish that much! But that's okay! Hopefully I'll have another successful car ride home tomorrow :)

Ask a Therapist!

Talent is something that comes from within; it has nothing to do with age.
— AURORA