Young Writers Society

Enter The Above

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:56 am
View Likes
Omni says...

So I decided to make a post here like Writer's Corner for LMS.

@ShadowVyper @ScarlettFire @Tuckster @Mea

Let's get to plotting and planning sometime soon! I'll be putting a lot of my thoughts in here with plot planning! We have a WFP right now but it's a lot of just bare information ahaha. Time to have some fun c:<
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

378 Reviews

Supporter

Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:52 pm
View Likes
Omni says...

So I figured I could start expanding on the general thought process we have for this Ship! I won't be linking to the WFP we have, but I'll basically be throwing down some of the thoughts we have so far, and be expanding upon them as we get closer to the actual start date of this.

Enter the what?

I reeeally want to get a better name than our current WIP right now, Enter The Above XD I like the name but also I HATE IT IDK WHY IT'S BUT IT FEELS SO CLUNKY lol

Plot Summary

The general idea of this story is a few things clumped together:

1. We wanted three factions
    Pretty early on (we were plotting this before LSS was announced mwahaha mod things (LSS has been in some form of concept for months now)) we pretty unilaterally agreed that we wanted a story that was more fully fleshed out than a simple two-sided conflict. So, we tossed around the idea with having three broad factions instead of the usual two with a back-and-forth struggle.
  2. We wanted ~politics~
    Another aspect of the story early on we wanted to toy around with was having politics and "fake news" and the idea of just not trusting the government/not trusting the scientific community. And so two of our three factions were born early on: the "government" and the "scientists". However, the specifics of what they were fighting about or what was going on was still up in the air.
  3. We wanted some kind of disaster --in the past
    Another want of ours was to have this vague kind of disaster that forced our community away from Earth sometime in the past. Whether that's forcing our world to space, to another planet, or underground we didn't know just yet, but we did know that we wanted it to happen in such a point in the past that the specifics of it would be debated in the story. Eventually we settled on them moving underground. What for we're still not sure at the moment.
  4. Steampunk?
    Yep, we basically wanted something either futuristic completely or implementing a bit more mystical stuff to it. None of us were particularly passionate either way so we finally just decided to have it steampunk.
  5. Wait, What about the third factions?
    Yeah, secretly (or not so secretly) I was worrying about this as well. For awhile we just wanted our third faction as the "fake news, trust nobody" faction but I didn't feel great about having a third faction that didn't have a motive of its own and was just the anti-faction to the other two. Eventually, very later we would find a third faction that actually suited the third faction. But first, we had to figure out what they were fighting for.
  6. Energy Crisis
    And the answer to that would be in the form of an energy crisis in the underground city. We're still looking at the specifics, but it was clear something needed to change to spur the three factions to face off against each other, and something drastic. We also needed something that would offer more than one solution. We knew we wanted one faction to try to go above ground again, and one faction to oppose it, but we didn't know why or what the third faction would do. Having this energy crisis solved that problem. Now, the three solutions are these: Mining to other potential underground city sites, Going back aboveground, and mining deeper into the earth's core to harness that energy. Each one will have their drawbacks, and potential rewards, and they all offer something tempting for the other factions to pick apart.

And right now, that's about as much as I can write at the moment, mainly because this post is already really long and I'm tired of writing XD

sass levels loading

[he/him]

561 Reviews

Reviews: 561
Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:03 am
View Likes
Atticus says...

So a quick recap for those of you who weren't at the LSS Write-In (@Mea, @ScarlettFire, and @ShadowVyper):
  • We worked on coming up with a better name for this storybook and finding a name for the city. We didn't establish anything concrete, but we were liking the idea of Valkyria as a potential city name and something involving the words climacteric, cataclysm/cataclysmic and relating to an apocalypse or idea. The best idea we had was Cataclysmic Divide, but there's still room for improvement, so we are open to ideas and suggestions!
  • We thought it would be cool if the name of the city was derived from the first letter of a series of military bases/districts spread throughout the world. For example, if we choose Valkyria as a city name, there would be a base with a name based on the NATO system. There would be a district with a name along the lines of Victor, a district with a name along the lines of Alpha, etc. The different factions would gain control over different areas as the story progressed. We spent some time messing around variations on the names (for example, Victory/Victoria instead of Victor), but are again open to suggestions!

That's about it as far as plot progressions know! If any of you have thoughts, go ahead and throw them in the pad, and Omnom, if you feel I misconstrued anything, feel free to address it and set it straight!
[he/him]

"tiktok and giving children meth are my passions" ~ @ShadowVyper
"carinas long foretold chaos protege" ~ @veeren
"smol bean, future of chaos" ~ @carina

378 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:32 am
View Likes
Omni says...

You didn't include my Cataclimatism that I'm actually beginning to like XD

Cataclimaclysm? Something along those lines

sass levels loading

[he/him]

Monster is a relative term. To a canary, a cat is a monster. We're just used to being the cat.
— Henry Wu, "Jurassic World"