Captain Magebird
First Mate soundofmind
Navigator AstralHunter
Gunner sheyren
Boatswain ScarlettFire
Falconer Featherstone

The Captain’s Herald: An Introduction
by Captain Magebird

Ahoy there, mateys! This is Captain Mage, member of your favorite friendly neighborhood crew of pirateering moderators. Though the storybook section has a newsletter a long time ago, we thought it would be good to give you a rundown on what The Captain’s Herald is all about.

The goal of our newsletter is to give you all a monthly update on storybooking news. You can expect a combination of monthly articles, special bi-monthly articles, and articles that you won’t see anything like - for example, this one!

In this issue, we’ll show you:

- an interview with the amazing poet and new storybooker @alliyah
    - an introduction to a brand new storybooking order
    - a shout-out to some amazing first-time storybookers and their storybooks
    - currently open storybooks that you can join
    - and some fun stats on how YWS’s third SB Month went

Make sure to subscribe to this thread so you can keep up with your monthly storybooking news. You wouldn’t want to miss out on all of the fun stuff happening in the storybook section!

Us mods put a lot of time and effort into planning this edition of The Captain’s Herald, as well as the new storybooking order sheyren will go into down below - so we hope you enjoy it!

New Seafarers: An Interview
by First Mate soundofmind

sound: alliyah! I think you've been on YWS for a hot minute (at least a minute longer than me). Is this your first time making and/or joining a storybook?

alliyah: sound! YES, *at least I think so* I've been on the site since 2012, and have occasionally been in Tagbooks and a different Knights of the Green Room Christmas Special that was started by @CaptainJack, but besides that I've never really been involved with making one!

sound: Oh!!! Then this is quite exciting! How did you prepare yourself for making the leap into the Storybook section? What gave you the push to hop in?

alliyah: Well, I can tell you it was not spontaneous! When I first got involved in the Knights of the Green Room Court, more than two years ago now, CaptainJack had a dream of bringing the Knights into the SB section. No-joke, we schemed on this Storybook idea for more than two years - trying to figure out if it would be a good fit and what the format would be. I think the reason it finally went through this time was first, all the activity with the Knights recently made me think it'd be viable, and also I had some warning that Storybook Month was coming! Combined with the Afterwatch breaking their record, there was finally a sort of self-imposed deadline so we got it all formated and clicked "submit!"

sound: Omg. I'm so happy the stars aligned! Your KOTGR Storybook looks amazing, and I can tell you've put so much love and thought into it - even with all of the pretty banners and graphics! It looks amazing! Are you excited to see where it goes?

alliyah: Thanks so much! I have to say it's a huge relief to just have those ideas out in the world and to see what happens. I'm a bit nervous that no one else will join despite Knights of the Green Room being one of the largest ongoing groups on the site @_@ but I think part of the great set-up with this is that you can kind of stop by and leave as needed, this Storybook could be a kind of un-ending one with loose sub-plot lines and more challenges eventually. We'll see how it goes! (hint, hint, if you're reading this and are a knight, please take a little look at it and consider joining!)

sound: Me, is also not-quite-a-knight-yet (mostly because I've slacked on actually recording all of my reviews), *looks back and forth.* I will have to catch up and hopefully I'll be able to claim my knighthood so I can join!

alliyah: Ha! I feel you! I think sometimes people think the logging part will take longer than it does, but ScarlettFire actually found out she was in a similar position (being a Squire for several years without logging any further reviews) but with the KotGR SB out, she actually jumped back in and logged enough to be a Knight and earn some gear!

sound: That's amazing! I'll have to take a minute and do that so I can join the ranks of adventurers.

THAT SAID - speaking of storybooks (because we have been speaking of storybooks - isn't this a great transition) - I know you've only just started doing things in the SB realm, but have you liked it so far?

alliyah: I have absolutely always loved the tagbooks I've joined into - the silliness, the comradery, and community connection - and so far I love this little step into the SB world too!

sound: What's been the most challenging? Has there been any part of storybooking that's been really intimidating? Why?

alliyah: I have to admit part of the hold on the SB was YES, IT'S VERY INTIMIDATING.

I think I had a bit of perception that if I tried to join an SB before that it might be already secretly closed or have unwritten rules that I didn't know about - Mage's Q/A and SB guide definitely helped me understand a little more background on that! But also, there really is a lot of stuff to putting an SB together - a lot of teeny tiny things that I didn't know what was typical. (ie. do you write in the first person? where do the rules go? how do you make those cute character templates link up, what do you do in a discussion thread) HA! I had a lot of questions! But the SB community has been really rad about answering them! Fun Fact: I've never been in an SB besides tagbooks, but I think I've been to like 3 SB workshops - ha xD

sound: YOU ARE VALID! It sounds like a lot of what stood in the way was just not knowing things/lack of clarity on how things worked, so I'm glad you got your questions answered!

Now that you're in it - What's been the most exciting? What have you enjoyed doing the most?

alliyah: It was super satisfying to see people just fill out the character templates and then see all the cute little graphics together. And if I do say so myself, the moment with the Commander's story just *clicked* and the story-line was figured out, was marvelous too!! <3

sound: YES!!! I love it when that happens!

So, now that you've ventured into Storybook waters, what would you say to anyone else who's new to this section of the site and interested in checking it out?

alliyah: DO IT! I really recommend taking the jump in joining or starting your own Storybook; what a neat opportunity to tell stories together! Also if you have questions, you should definitely just ask (especially those cool pirates in the SB Crew) I asked so many random and ridiculous questions, and they were all very patiently answered. Also if you're still not convinced, tagbooks are an awesome low-commitment way to try it out and see if it's something you might enjoy.

sound: Awe!! INSPIRING... AMAZING... THANK YOU ALLIYAH. Love you! Aye, well, that's all we have for you today. Thank you alliyah for your time! That's all folks!

Stats and Facts
by Captain Magebird

The thread is currently a few months behind, but you may or may not have seen me posting storybook stats over in The Unofficial Monthly Storybook Report at the beginning of this year. I really love the format I used there, but I wanted to do something different - and easier to digest - here!

A fun fact that might not come across in the charts is that YWS as a whole wrote more than fifty storybook posts! A good chunk of them were posts in the tagbook, but that doesn’t lessen the impressiveness of all of those posts. We also had some first time storybookers killing it with their frequent posts, but we’ll get into that group in a later, one-time-only section down below.

Brand New Pirates
by Captain Magebird

Ahoy again, mateys!

The storybook section in general is always welcoming of new storybookers, but we don’t often see new storybookers eagerly making their own storybooks - so imagine my surprise when I realized we had four of them doing that. And with the return of the storybook newsletter, now seemed like the perfect time to give both our new storybookers and their storybooks a shout-out! You can reread soundofmind's interview with alliyah up above to find out more about her storybook, but here's three other storybookers you haven't already read about:

(For all intents and purposes, this article is excluding tagbook involvement - because tagbooks don't involve the same amount of collaboration and planning that actual storybooks involve. While some of the people mentioned might have done tagbooks before, their storybooks are their first real dive into the SB section!)

@Kassiani’s A fictionalized, modern retelling of history thread has only been up for half of the month and isn’t technically a storybook yet, but it’s already gained a decent amount of interest from YWSers! The storybook is inspired by historical retellings like Hamilton/Six that have a slightly more present touch for it. Historical storybooks aren’t usually something that pop on YWS, so we’re definitely all intrigued - especially since it looks like the Salem Witch Trials will be the setting, according to the poll Kassiani conducted in the thread! Definitely keep an eye out for it in the near future.

Our next new storybooker-storybook combo is @HarryHardy with A Voyage Among the Stars. AVAMtS has been up for about the same amount of time that Kassiani’s thread has been up, but it’s already managed to complete its first arc thanks to its dedicated cast of writers! The story follows a group of teenagers after they get stranded on a distant and dangerous world. If you want to check out the universe that came straight from HarryHardy’s imagination and read about the cast’s adventures, swing by the thread and read along!

Last, but certainly not least, we have the first storybooker/storybook that clued me into this cool new trend: @LittleLee’s Soul’s Blight! The storybook was created with the help of First Mate soundofmind, but LittleLee was entirely responsible for the dystopian twist on superpowers. Even though the storybook has only been up for July, every writer has already been able to get a post up for it - which is a rare feat! If you’re looking for a storybook to read that’s slightly more nontraditional when it comes to inhuman powers, this is the perfect one for you.

Good luck with your storybooks, everyone, and great job with the progress you’ve already made in them!

Sailor Recruitment Board
by Navigator AstralHunter

Salutations, sea-dogs! Or perhaps… stranded sea-dogs?

Aye, there are many hands in search of a vessel to man, yet there are only so many vessels that need manning. Fear not, however, for here is an official listing of storybooks that require more members!

Pokemon: Star And Fire by EverLight: The bond between Trainer and Pokémon is a testament of trust and dedication. The embodiment of this is the three sacred stones known collectively as the Order of Humanity. Rumours of their discovery — undoubtedly spread by some unknown force — have reached the ears of Professor Oak, so he has elected to choose eight young pupils to investigate. Two have been contacted already, but the remaining six have yet to be identified.

Cassandra Of The Lost by ScarlettFire: Twenty years ago, the high-tech space cruiser Cassandra went missing. Eight lost souls find themselves aboard this ship, but without any memory of who they are or how they got there. However, the Cassandra itself exerts considerable influence on the passengers' circumstances, and its motives are but one of many things they must discover. Of the eight, only the Parent has yet to wake.

The Fall of Altermende by Europa: Altermende was once a prosperous kingdom, but the discovery of magic set it on a course to ruin. An experiment intended to meld humans with the power of the elements instead created the seemingly unstoppable Dragur — and what's worse, their wretched state is somehow infectious. Only a few pockets of civilisation have managed to survive thus far, but the reappearance of the royal heir promises hope. A party must be formed to protect them, and a Guardian and a Scout are still needed.

In Service to the Hierophant by AstralHunter: Tales across the world tell of a nation unconquered and legendary — the Kalandrel Hierophantine. Its everlasting prosperity is achieved through the diversity of its people, the maintenance of a small territory, and the art of summoning elemental golems. There is no military, for the Skywatch, Woodwatch, and Citywatch defend the cosmopolitan capital of Skyreach and all of Kalandrel. Six new recruits have pledged their fealty to the hierophant and occupy an apartment in the city, but one of their number has transferred to an outpost, leaving a room vacant.

As The Earth Falls by EverLight: Humanity has, unsurprisingly, destroyed much of the world. Violence and famine are ubiquitous; chaos and fear are the daily staples. A well-intentioned academic created three alternate earths, but all who ventured there reported of betrayal and stars coming alive. Eight individuals are to be selected to investigate.

There are still some storybooks that have a sizeable cast already, but which will nevertheless accept more members.

Starboard Seafarers
by Gunner sheyren

Listen up, sailors o’ the seven storybooking seas! Ye scallywags have been rather disorganized lately, with yer pointless plunderin’ and mindless meandarin’ about! It’s about time that we got ye a bitta order out here on these ruthless seas. Good fortune for us, cause there happens ta be a rather welcomin’ crew about these parts by the name of the Starboard Seafarers, and right now they be lookin’ for some new mateys.

One small problem, I’m afraid. These pirates are a buncha greedy gold lubbas, and if you wanna join them, ye gotta give ‘em some doubloons. Good fortune for you, though, cause we have just the thing. There’s an old vagrant out in the boonies by the name of Seabury Grail, but you can call him No-Tongue. He’ll pay you some doubloons. I believe if you show ‘im a character profile you made, he’ll give you one doubloon. If you show ‘im a Storybook post you wrote, he’ll pay ya two doubloons. And if you offer ‘im a whole Storybook you’re running, he’ll pay ya a whole three doubloons! I also hear he doubles the bounties if you make a profile or a post for any new official storybooks or tagbooks that are created after today.

To join our new band of baddies out on them seven seas, yer gonna have to fess up three doubloons. Bad fortune for ye, but No-Tongue only pays for profiles, posts, and storybooks made after today. Good fortune for ye, though, but he’ll pay off your first three doubloons using any of the former made before today. So if you’ve been about these seas before, you can join as soon as you have a moment. But after that, you’re gonna have to clear out some new bounties to get more doubloons.

Of course, if ye can offer even more doubloons, yer gonna be rewarded handsomely by these Starboard Seafarers. While joining will just let ye be a Swabby on the deck, offerin’ another two doubloons, for a total of five doubloons will promote ye to the fine role of Powder Monkey. Ambitious mates will nab themselves ten doubloons to become Cabin Lackeys. But should you reach twenty doubloons, I dare say you’ll be promoted to a Rigger. At thirty doubloons, you’ll move up to bein’ an Able Bodied Sailor. Fifty doubloons nabs you a spot as a Mate, and seventy-five doubloons will secure you a job as a Master Gunner. If you’re really ambitious, you’ll become a Boatswain at one hundred doubloons, and with one hundred and fifty doubloons you’ll be promoted to Sailing Master. But if you achieve the admirable goal of two hundred doubloons, then you will become the ever prestigious Quarter Master.

So happy sailin’, pirates! And best of luck to ye, should you be driven to become a Quarter Master!

Reviews: 0
Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:33 am
View Likes
DungeonMaster says...

August Edition

Your Crew

Captain Magebird
First Mate soundofmind
Boatswain ScarlettFire
Gunner sheyren
Navigator AstralHunter
Chief Engineer Omnom

The Captain’s Herald: An Introduction
by Captain Magebird

Ahoy there, mateys! This is Captain Mage again, back with another edition of The Captain’s Herald! You may have noticed something different about the crew listed up above. Our beloved falconer Featherstone has embarked on a treasure hunt of his own and taken a step back from our crew, but our chief engineer Omnom has returned from the seven seas to rejoin our crew! You might recognize Omnom as the creator of The YWU - Young Writers Society’s own rendition of a shared written universe. If you’re interested in the lore and how to incorporate it into your own storybooks, definitely click on that link.

As another quick update, before I get into all of the cool sections we have in this edition: expect to see the Starboard Seafarers in the very near future! The storybooking order sheyren described in last month’s storybooking update will have its official opening sometime in the next month. We hope you’re as excited as we are!

As promised, here’s a rundown on what to expect from this issue of The Captain’s Herald!

In this issue, we’ll show you:

- an interview with the prolific storybooker and reviewer @HarryHardy
    - a poll on interest storybooks
    - a return of the stats section, this time with August’s stats
    - currently open storybooks that you can join
    - and a blurb on our first bi-monthly featured storybooker!

Make sure to subscribe to this thread so you can keep up with your monthly storybooking news. You wouldn’t want to miss out on all of the fun stuff happening in the storybook section!

Saying Ahoy to A New-Ish Storybooker!
by Boatswain ScarlettFire

ScarlettFire: Hi Harry! So, you've only been on the site for a couple of months and you've already done so much! But I'd like to talk about your experiences with the Storybook forums. What drew you to the Storybook forums? And why did you start Storybooking?

HarryHardy: Hi!! Umm...well I first went ran into it like a week after I arrived and I was just trying to figure out what I could do besides posting stories but I didn't quite jump in there because I got distracted by reviewing and I just forgot about them. Then when SB month came about I started prowling looking for something. The idea of writing and as a group sounded cool and the badges were very shiny. And when LittleLee came up with his idea, I jumped on that ship and haven't looked back since.

Scar: Oh, that's awesome! Looks like you also made a bunch of friends. And, lol, I forget about the SB forum sometimes, too. which is bad since i'm an SB mod whoops Okay. So. How many SBs are you currently running? What's your latest one about?

Harry: At the moment only 1. It's about a five kids who get stranded on a planet that is actually a sentient maze and have to survive and find a way back home.

Scar: Oh, that sounds really cool and I did take a look, so yeah. Definitely something to check out! Alright, so... Harry, are you excited to see where it goes?

Harry: Definitely. We actually managed to come up with a way to link it to the universe my novels are set in so there will be a crossover and I'm really excited to see how that one goes.

Scar: Oooh, crossovers are always fun! If a little messy... It sounds great, though. Are you enjoying what you've been doing so far?

Harry: Definitely. It's been a lot of fun this past month.

Scar: I can tell. XD What's been the most challenging? Has there been any part of storybooking that's been really intimidating? Why?

Harry: Hmm...the most challenging thing I would say is running a storybook. I've always been a massive introvert and having to talk and coordinate with people is something I'm having to learn as I go. The most intimidating thing so far is having to remind people to write their posts. I'm always terrified that I come off rude.

Scar: Oof, that's a mood, my friend. And yeah, it can be pretty intimidating, taking a peek into the SB forums and seeing what an SB is like, but I promise, we're not that bad! What's been the most exciting? What have you enjoyed doing the most?

Harry: The most exciting has been plotting. To see the different ways that people generate ideas is a lot of fun and then trying to mash them all up into a cohesive story has been a lot of fun. What I've most enjoyed though are the conversations. The friends I've made through this and the absolutely ridiculous things that we dream up as we're writing or plotting has been sooo much fun.

Scar: Ahaha, yeah, that's always fun for me, too! So, now that you've ventured into Storybook waters, what would you say to anyone else who's new to this section of the site and interested in checking it out?

Harry: Hmm...well from what I've I'd say look for something you're excited about, a story that you feel needs to be written, and just dive in. Everyone I've met and asked questions from has been so willing to help from Captain Magebird to First Mate soundofmind, and Boatswain Scarlettfire (I winked at this point). They're always willing to guide you so all you need to do is write and have fun doing it. Make some friends while you're at it too.

Scar: Aww, that's sweet. And yes, we're always down for helping and explaining things! So don't be afraid to ask us anything about storybooking, of course. XD Thanks for letting me interview you, Harry! I'll let you get back to dinner now!

Also, don't forget to check out Harry's SB. A Voyage Among the Stars and have a read! That's all for today, folks! See you later~

Code: Select all
[right][b][size=150]Saying Ahoy to A New Featured SBer![/size][/b]
by Gunner [jm]ScarlettFire[/jm][/right]

[b]ScarlettFire:[/b] Hi Harry! So, you've only been on the site for a couple of months and you've already done so much! But I'd like to talk about your experiences with the Storybook forums. What drew you to the Storybook forums? And why did you start Storybooking?

[b]HarryHardy:[/b] Hi!! Umm...well I first went ran into it like a week after I arrived and I was just trying to figure out what I could do besides posting stories but I didn't quite jump in there because I got distracted by reviewing and I just forgot about them. Then when SB month came about I started prowling looking for something. The idea of writing and as a group sounded cool [s]and the badges were very shiny[/s]. And when @ LittleLee came up with his idea, I jumped on that ship and haven't looked back since.

[b]Scar:[/b] Oh, that's awesome! Looks like you also made a bunch of friends. And, lol, I forget about the SB forum sometimes, too. [s]which is bad since i'm an SB mod whoops[/s] Okay. So. How many SBs are you currently running? What's your latest one about?

[b]Harry:[/b] At the moment only 1. It's about a five kids who get stranded on a planet that is actually a sentient maze and have to survive and find a way back home.

[b]Scar:[/b] Oh, that sounds really cool and I did take a look, so yeah. Definitely something to check out! Alright, so... Harry, are you excited to see where it goes?

[b]Harry:[/b] Definitely. We actually managed to come up with a way to link it to the universe my novels are set in so there will be a crossover and I'm really excited to see how that one goes.

[b]Scar:[/b] Oooh, crossovers are always fun! If a little messy... It sounds great, though. Are you enjoying what you've been doing so far?

[b]Harry:[/b] Definitely. It's been a lot of fun this past month.

[b]Scar:[/b] I can tell. XD What's been the most challenging? Has there been any part of storybooking that's been really intimidating? Why?

[b]Harry:[/b] Hmm...the most challenging thing I would say is running a storybook. I've always been a massive introvert and having to talk and coordinate with people is something I'm having to learn as I go. The most intimidating thing so far is having to remind people to write their posts. I'm always terrified that I come off rude.

[b]Scar:[/b] Oof, that's a mood, my friend. And yeah, it can be pretty intimidating, taking a peek into the SB forums and seeing what an SB is like, but I promise, we're not that bad! What's been the most exciting? What have you enjoyed doing the most?

[b]Harry:[/b] The most exciting has been plotting. To see the different ways that people generate ideas is a lot of fun and then trying to mash them all up into a cohesive story has been a lot of fun. What I've most enjoyed though are the conversations. The friends I've made through this and the absolutely ridiculous things that we dream up as we're writing or plotting has been sooo much fun.

[b]Scar:[/b] Ahaha, yeah, that's always fun for me, too! So, now that you've ventured into Storybook waters, what would you say to anyone else who's new to this section of the site and interested in checking it out?

[b]Harry:[/b] Hmm...well from what I've I'd say look for something you're excited about, a story that you feel needs to be written, and just dive in. Everyone I've met and asked questions from has been so willing to help from Captain @ Magebird to First Mate @ soundofmind, and Gunner @ Scarlettfire (I winked at this point). They're always willing to guide you so all you need to do is write and have fun doing it. Make some friends while you're at it too.

[b]Scar:[/b] Aww, that's sweet. And yes, we're always down for helping and explaining things! So don't be afraid to ask us anything [s]about storybooking, of course[/s]. XD Thanks for letting me interview you, Harry! I'll let you get back to dinner now!

Also, don't forget to check out Harry's SB. [url=https://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=111531]A Voyage Among the Stars[/url] and have a read! That's all for today, folks! See you later~

The Captain’s Herald: Testing the Waters

For those of you who partook in SB month, you probably noticed a burst in storybook activity! New storybooks and writers were popping up everywhere, and we so gladly welcome new sailors on the storybook waters! But it seems that we've reached a unique moment in storybook history - so many of us hopped onto new stories that we might be unable to take on any more!

Being in one too many storybooks can be overwhelming, but that doesn't mean we have to stop dreaming of new stories that could take sail.

For those of you who are enjoying the storybook seas, and even for those of you who are considering about exploring them, stop by to take this poll:

Stats and Facts
by Captain Magebird

August SB Posts

Per Storybooker

August SB Posts

Per Storybook

Sailor Recruitment Board

Do you want to join a storybook, but aren't sure which ones are still open and accepting? Not sure where to start! Well here's a list for you to take a looksie and browse around! :)

There are a lot of ships that need more sailors, so if any of these interest you feel free to leave a message in the discussion topic(DT) for the storybook and express your interest!

FEATURED:

A Knight's Journey: Tales from Outside the Great Hall by Alliyah: We have all seen the ceremonies in the Great Hall, knights being rewarded for victories and brave battles won. But that is only half the story. Here we shall tell the tales of the Knights of the Green Room on their journeys away from the protections of the castle. Fighting foe, managing their villages, searching for golden geese, and managing their friendships with fellow knights. These are the stories from outside the Great Hall. Huzzah!

Ma Maman by sheyren: Amélie is a 16-year-old who lives in France. Her father died when she was a young child, but her mother is alive and well. Following a short fling her mother had with a German soldier, Amélie was ridiculed alongside her mother for their betrayal of French ideals. Finally fed up with her treatment, Amélie packs up and leaves to travel the continent, starting in Switzerland. She does so without speaking to her mother.

Sunshower Over Hogsmeade by SirenCymbaline: This is a Harry Potter SB with a focus on adult characters and the slice of life genre, the tone is the cosy day-to-day life parts of Harry Potter with a touch of Ghibli. Your character can work any sort of job in any canon or original shop or establishment. They can work at the Hog’s Head, a wacky hotel you made up, a magical vet clinic, whatever suits your character.

But the list goes on! There are still more storybooks that are accepting new members!

August’s Featured Storybooker: LittleLee!
by Gunner sheyren

When the new pirate first sailed into these storybooking seas, @LittleLee’s ship first hit the water with a little splash. Having never before participated in a storybook, he was quick to jump into his first - a smaller ship by the name of Ma Maman. It was an exciting new arrival, to be sure, but at the time, we all let him enter the port without much of a second thought.

But then his cannon fired, and just like that, we were blown out of the water. With no hesitation, LittleLee had gone ahead and created his own storybook, Soul’s Blight! A true pirate dares to sail these sails, but a truly daring pirate sails them on his own ship! But truly daring Little Lee was, because he wasted no time in getting his ship on the waters. Just three days after it was posted, Soul’s Blight was running, its members posting. This breakout story has become one of the most active storybooks through both the months of July and August! Since the time of posting in mid-July, Soul’s Blight already has a whopping eight posts, and it’s still going strong! Who knows when it will stop? By the looks of it, never!

It’s for all of these reasons that we are proud to announce LittleLee is August’s Featured Storybooker, and the first in the history of the storybooks forum! It is a very-well deserved honor, so join us in congratulating LittleLee!

Be the annoying goose you want to see in the world.
— Welcome to Night Vale