z

Young Writers Society

I wanna start a storybook but...

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:59 pm
View Likes
ThemagicalEbonyFox says...

I would like to start a storybook, but I've never done one before and I'm not really sure how to structure it. I've read through all the advice I could find on YWS already, but I'm still not quite sure how it works or how I'd get enough people to participate. I have a topic idea and some basic roles in mind, but some advice from professionals would be appreciated.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:00 am
View Likes
Lumi says...

STORYBOOK PROFESSIONAL. To make money off of storybooks!! That's dreamy. owo

*clears throat*

Nothing--no graphics or music or cool fonts--will get you good participation more than a good, solid, engaging concept and an exciting plot (with room for your cowriters to add their own touches to the world.)

If you have the foundations of a good collab novel or story, you're going to be successful as a storybooker...but I must ask! What is your storybook going to be about? Concept is also paramount. ;)
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:50 am
View Likes
sheysse says...

I would say that there are a few things one should remember.

Firstly, your story should be open to change. If you're too set on a plot and don't give the other writers a chance to expand, build their own character lore, etc. then they'll get bored.

It also should be easy to include multiple characters. Even smaller SBs end up with large character casts.

Graphics and musical accompaniment are great touches, but they aren't strictly necessary. You can still have a successful SB which utilizes nothing but strategic story-introducing.

Lastly, if worse comes to worse, then just advertise on your wall, talk to other SBers you know, etc. Eventually you will have a SB with a great cast and concept, I assure you. ;)

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:44 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Hello! I'm not sure how much of a professional I am, but I can impart some advice as someone who has run her fair share of storybooks. Since @Sheytato and @Lumi both covered things that I was already thinking of, I'll focus more on the plot aspect of a storybook.

While it's great to have room for interpretation and development with the other participants, you also don't want to have one that's too loose. (I'm speaking from experience here - my first storybook died because I didn't know what I wanted to do with it.) You also don't want the plot to be too long. It's hard to judge that without having been in storybooks, but just think things through before you post.

You can also always come to me if you have questions as you go along!
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

First you broke my moustache, now you break my heart.
— MaybeAndrew