z

Young Writers Society

Help.

364 Reviews

Reviews: 364
Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:15 pm
zaminami says...

I have never been in a storybook- except for a tagbookesque one that died out- and I don't really know what to do. I understand the concept, but... I am uncomfortable controlling other characters. I don't want to mess the characters up but I don't want people controlling mine either because normally I have a complicated backstory plus a truckload of personality traits and abilities that they have. I could probably use a character template right now on every single character I made and use in RPs and fill it up.

That's why I haven't joined the Storybooks yet. So can you guys help me with this predicament? Thanks!--

DemonGoddess.
tartaglia, they/he lesbian.
i also go by skylar and reginald!
First member of the bio trio™.
victim of the writer’s block disease

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:23 pm
sheysse says...

Most often, if it's covered in your template, it won't be an issue. Should someone make a reference to it, they'll usually check to ensure they're right. At the same time, if someone is a little wrong about your character's background, it's no big deal. If they're horrifically wrong, you can always ask them to make changes to their post.

At the same time, remember the Dungeon Master usually has a very detailed expectation of the outside world. Thus, you probably will need to Make a new character, or at least a new background. For instance, you don't want someone from a space colony in a medieval storybook. It's an extreme example, but it gets my point across.

As for controlling others' characters, you can always PM then the post before you post it, and see if you got their character right. Pen you could write it with them in a WFP. As you get more confident, you will need to do this less and less, although some ANd function through collaboratively writing posts.

Hope I was of some assistance!

364 Reviews

Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:33 pm
zaminami says...

Thanks, @Sheyren. You know Crystal, right? I mean I can use her in EVERY SINGLE THING there is, so I was really talking about her :wink:

But thank you. Can you send me a link to the template? I'll need to see it and fill it out in a private WFP I'll have :D

176 Reviews

Reviews: 176
Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:35 pm
sheysse says...

Templates are specific to the SB, so that you can make someone include what you need them too for the plot of the SB.

364 Reviews

Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:38 pm
zaminami says...

Oh, thanks :D didn't know that.

Such a noob oh whatever everyone's a noob at some point

378 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 378
Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:11 pm
Omni says...

Heya!

Another thing that separates Storybook's collaborating with regular rp is that people are much more open to working together when writing. As a general rule of thumb, I would suggest that you ask people to come to you before writing your character and that you do the same for others, at least until you have a good grip on their personalities, quirks, etc.

Plus, writing together also allows the opportunity for plot-bunny exchanges, jokes that you might not have thought of, and even good old-fashioned rp-ing out scenes that you're struggling with. Honestly writing with other people is my favorite way to Storybook. Although I often get sidetracked and no actual writing gets done XD

Going in a different direction to what Shey said, if you're really set on a wanting to use a specific character, you can always adapt said character (say, Crystal) to the Storybook you wish to join. Think of it as an expanded rp or a character study of Crystal, putting her in different stories, situations, with different abilities and interacting with different people.

Hope this helped, Kara!
This account proudly supports lgbtq* rights.

sass levels loading

[he/him]

Poetry is like a bird, it ignores all frontiers.
— Yevgeny Yevtushenko