Storybooking Q&A

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:39 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Hello there!

This is a thread for you to ask any questions you have about the storybook section. Feel free to ask any questions you have about Storybooks, the Roleplay Realm and Roleplay Duos here!

Anyone is free to answer the questions if I don't get to them first, but I'll try my best to stay on top of them. I've been active in this section of the site since I first joined YWS, so chances are I have the answer(s) you're looking for.

Edit: To get this thread started, I'll post some commonly asked questions about the section as a whole and the Storybooks section. Feel free to jump in at any time with questions of your own!
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:46 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

What are the differences between storybooks, roleplays and Roleplay Duos?

Storybooks are large, collaborative writing projects. Group size can vary, but there's almost always more than four people involved. The story is told through long posts that alternate between characters. It's common practice to collaborate with people on your posts if their characters play a major role in your post, but it's also just as common to work on posts on your own. Essentially, it's like writing a novel with a group of co-authors.

Roleplays are also large, collaborative writing projects, but they're not as structured. Posts also alternate between characters and tend to be shorter than storybook posts. They can have less planning than storybooks do, but also have the potential to have extensive planning. While storybooks are the realm of original characters, characters in roleplayers typically come from previously made stories.

Roleplay Duos are like roleplays on a smaller scale. As the name suggests, they're between two people. The posts tend to be on the smaller side, but they're the same as roleplaying when it comes to varying post lengths. When it comes to writing for other people's characters, the rules vary depending on the writers involved. Some posts may focus specifically on the actions of a single person's character(s), while others may be collaborated on by both people.
mage

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:49 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

How often do I have to post in a SB?

It really depends on the storybook. Some storybooks might have a requirement - i.e. one post per month - but most of them involve a posting schedule. Depending on everyone else's schedules and speed when it comes to posting, you might be writing a post every month or every few months.

How do you get people interested in joining a SB?

Posting about it on your wall is always a good start. I suggest putting the intro post on your wall, or doing a short little blurb on the plot - it gives people an idea of what your storybook is about.

You can also mention it over in Requests: Storybook Edition thread in the Storybook Club.

How do I tell who is allowed to join a SB?

Reading through the actual storybook's description and the posts in the discussion thread (DT) usually will let you know what someone is looking for. Most storybooks tend to have a limited number of spaces, so you can always check the list of writers to see if any are left. And, if you ever have any questions on if there's a spot available, you can check with the person running the storybook!

How do I keep action rolling in SBs?

The simple answer is to talk with the other writers. Storybooks with active DTs tend to be active themselves - it reminds people that the story needs to progress, and can also provide the perfect brainstorming place for future plot points.

How detailed/not detailed should SB posts be?

Like with figuring out if you can join a storybook, you can discover how much detail a storybook's owner is looking for by checking out the SB and DT. Asking them also doesn't hurt. If they have no preference for length or amount of detail, it's really up to you. A good baseline is writing 500 word posts, but there have been writers who have done more than 2,000 in the past.

What are general rules about writing/controlling other people's characters in SBs?

As mentioned in the basic description of SBs, you're allowed to do as much as "controlling" of other characters as you want. When someone joins a storybook and makes a character, the unspoken agreement is that they'll show up in other posts. If your portrayal of that character is ever off, the character's creator can let you know what you need to change. A good piece of advice for writing other people's characters is to check out their character profile's personality section. This might give you ideas on how they would react to certain situations.

I got tagged to do a "storybook challenge". What does that mean?

Storybook Badges & Challenges goes into a lot more depth about what storybook challenges are and how they work, but they're essentially a chance for you to get badges by fulfilling different criteria. Some challenges are specific to storybooks, while others are monthly challenges brought to you courtesy of the Storybook Crew.
mage

queer and here.

1227 Reviews

Reviews: 1227
Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:38 pm
View Likes
alliyah says...

Hi Mage,
I have some questions about the SB world!

When authors collaborate on a post where does that take place? A discussion thread, discord, PM, WFP?

If I find out I need to stop being a part of an SB or RP is that okay, what would I do? It looks like some are several years long, what's the realistic time commitment?

I notice some SBs have "rules," if people break the rules of a RP/SB who normally moderates that, and how? If I'm running an SB and someone breaks the SB's rules what can I do to get things back on track? (ie. Someone uses violence in a PG storybook, or starts over-controlling someone else's characters)

Also I have heard that SBs can be written in first/third person POV and present/past tense -> do you personally find one form works better to keep the action goimg, and also should people all follow the same POV method within an SB?

Sincerely,
alliyah
you should know i am a time traveler &
there is no season as achingly temporary as now
but i have promised to return

590 Reviews

Supporter

Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:23 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Thanks for the questions, @alliyah!

When authors collaborate on a post where does that take place? A discussion thread, discord, PM, WFP?

Writers usually collaborate on posts through a Writerfeedpad. You can also ask questions in a discussion thread (DT), over Discord or through PMs, but it helps being there at the same time. The two writers - or sometimes more - decide on a time where they're both free. Then they'll either hop on the storybook's main planning pad or a pad set aside for collaborating on posts and write the post together.

If I find out I need to stop being a part of an SB or RP is that okay, what would I do? It looks like some are several years long, what's the realistic time commitment?

That's definitely okay! Life comes first, and the usual thought with leaving a SB/RP is that you'll be able to return later down the line if it's still active. If it's a roleplay, you'll want to post an enspoilered message in the actual thread saying that you need to drop out of the roleplay. When you do, the other roleplayers will likely continue the story as if your character was never there to begin with - that way you don't have to worry about your character being controlled when you're gone.

When leaving a storybook, you'll want to either post directly in the discussion thread or shoot a PM to the storybook's writer. You can let them know what you want to happen to your character - if you want them killed off, if you want them ignored, or if you want them to eventually be written by other people.

I notice some SBs have "rules," if people break the rules of a RP/SB who normally moderates that, and how? If I'm running an SB and someone breaks the SB's rules what can I do to get things back on track? (ie. Someone uses violence in a PG storybook, or starts over-controlling someone else's characters)

It really depends! SBs and RPs function pretty differently when it comes to rules. Storybook rules are more a formality than anything else. SBs in general involve a lot of planning, so chances are anything that would break the rules would be discussed ahead of time and changed.

With roleplays, on the other hand, the rules are definitely there for a reason. If you break the rules, the person running the roleplay will likely post a request not to in a spoiler in their post. The biggest rule that's usually broken is controlling other people's characters or joining once the roleplay is closed, but those are both easy things to take care of. :)

Also I have heard that SBs can be written in first/third person POV and present/past tense -> do you personally find one form works better to keep the action goimg, and also should people all follow the same POV method within an SB?

I'm a little biased towards third person and past tense, but that's my own favorite way to write! I guess it ultimately depends on what the dungeon master - the creator - of the storybook wants to do. If they want the same tense and POV, make sure to follow that. But, if not, you'll want to do whatever makes you feel the most comfortable.

The same logic applies to roleplays as well!

I hope my answers helped.
mage

queer and here.

174 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 174
Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:25 am
View Likes
soundofmind says...

@alliyah, just adding in my two cents.

A storybook's time commitment depends on two main things:
1. How quickly participants write up posts
2. Planning. (Like if the storybook has an end goal in mind, how long it would take to write up to that point plot-wise)

Some of the reasons writing SB's takes years is because, between a team of 4-6 (and sometimes more) people, working together, talking, collaborating, writing and all of that in the midst of life things just takes time.

However, the premise of the story, how much planning goes into it, and how everyone plans to get to the end play a part.

Realistically, if the story is likely to be novel-length, I would say if you have 2-3 posts a month, you could get a storybook completed within a year or two. But it definitely is a more long-term commitment of at least a year I think for most if you want to complete the story/there's a planned end for it.
Pants are an illusion. And so is death.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:53 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Thanks for the addition, @soundofmind!
mage

queer and here.

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:49 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Hmm, I found this clue in a piece of birthday cake! Anyone have a clue what it might mean?

11/13/2020
nine of ten

Knock knock! Who’s there? Birthday!
Birthday who? Birthday Clue!

Follow The Clues! #Unclassified #TurkeyTracks Nine of Ten
01000010 01101001 01110010 01110100 01101000 01100100 01100001 01111001

@Yewis might just have the final clue!
mage

queer and here.

129 Reviews

Reviews: 129
Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:59 pm
View Likes
yosh says...

Hi! I have a question!

I've seen some Roleplay Duos with three people. Does it count as a Roleplay once it has three people or is it still a Roleplay Duo, as it is in that category.

-y0sH!
they told me to never give up on my dreams.

so i took another nap

590 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:20 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Thanks for asking, @Yoshikrab! RP Duos should generally stick to two people, just like the name suggests. If you want to make a RP with three people, I heavily suggest posting it over in the RP Realm - you can add a "Closed" tag and/or include the closed cast in the first post.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you need me to clarify anything. :)
mage

queer and here.

You can't choose your parentage. But you can choose your legacy.
— Rick Riordan, The Blood of Olympus